What held back Asada's PCS? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

What held back Asada's PCS?

aa456

On the Ice
I can't see Yuna skating to Mao's programs, Mao skating to Yuna's programs, either of them skating to Caro's programs and Caro skating to Yuna or Mao's program. They're all different skaters and I'm glad for it :)

Regarding Mao's PCS, I have noticed that Caro and Yuna have better speed and/or edges and very obvious/ dramatic arm movements (not saying it's a good or a bad thing). IMO, what really hurt Mao was her Masquerade LP. It put her behind Yuna and even Joannie. over the years though, Mao has really improved her choreography and interpretation. On a good day I would score the big 3 within 2 points of each other depending on the program and performance.

Based on all that has happened this year in FS, to me PCS seem to be a tool to prop up whichever skaters judges feel like supporting. I will never understand how Caro can score the highest PCS at an event with obvious mistakes. I like her but I just don't get it. :confused:

If Mao continues maybe she should try smiling into each jumping pass or blowing a kiss at the judges :p j/k

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I think the quality/texture of Mao's movement matched romantic piano piece really well, nearly perfect, such as her Nocturne and Ballad EX. I cannot imagine other people do it.
Whereas her fighter spirit/internal strength is exhibited in her Bell(10worlds), Rach2 program(14OG). I think Tarasova perhaps is not a bad choice for Mao. She brought something different out from Mao. and I personally like the choreography step sequence in Rach2 very much.
Even if Mao go to David Wilson, I dont think Mao can perform the programs with the feeling that only Yuna can bring out (Yuna is a true dancer).
But if Mao continues, it certainly is great to watch her programs for skating fans, during 12-13 season, when Yuna is mostly dormant, I watched Mao's program the most.
When I watched Yuna and Mao perform live, their projection/impression on people's heart is certainly very different.
I wouldnot argue more about PCS, since PCS is also technical and nowadays, I dont understand how PCS was given.
But, performance/artistry alone, Mao is certainly a unique and special skater.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I do think Mao's skating skills are excellent, but a notch below Kim and especialy Kostner (who has the best skating skills since Sato). Since the judges seem to worship skating skills and only differ in other program component areas a bit from there, that probably sums up the PCS order already, regadless of how they compare in other areas. We see Chan who has the best skating skills of the men get highest PCS even when he skates half the program on his *** and others are clean, even more astonishing degrees of skating skills worship than Kostner at times gets, so that shows where the judges obsession on PCS lies, even if it is supposed to be only 1 of the 5 categories. The one exception to this rule is Cohen who didnt have good skating skills at all, yet was still given huge PCS even with errors.

Components

Match Penalty
I see your point. Just my wild imagination also. I think at first Mao's people brought Mao to Tarasova because lets face it she is a name in the industry and she has choreographed Olympic winning programs, but I think in the process she formed a bond with Mao and vice versa and I have a feeling Mao really enjoys working with Tatiana. I enjoy Sasha Rach 2, but I prefer Mao's step sequence.

The one thing I like about Mao working to with both Lori and Tatiana is that she has two unique programs. Last season her short and LP were opposite and this season she also had two unique programs.

If Mao stays I want her to work with different choreographers. In a way Tatiana is giving Mao some of Sasha Cohen's old programs, maybe she sees some Sasha in Mao

Didn't Lori reuse much of an old Mirai program and hand it to Mao?

Or maybe I'm thinking of a different program?

zamboni step

Final Flight
I do think Mao's skating skills are excellent, but a notch below Kim and especialy Kostner (who has the best skating skills since Sato). Since the judges seem to worship skating skills and only differ in other program component areas a bit from there, that probably sums up the PCS order already, regadless of how they compare in other areas. We see Chan who has the best skating skills of the men get highest PCS even when he skates half the program on his *** and others are clean, even more astonishing degrees of skating skills worship than Kostner at times gets, so that shows where the judges obsession on PCS lies, even if it is supposed to be only 1 of the 5 categories. The one exception to this rule is Cohen who didnt have good skating skills at all, yet was still given huge PCS even with errors.

That's because Sasha was Sasha, really. ;) SS are the anchor of the other PCS factors and sadly Mao's are a little under Kim's and Caro's despite her SP showcasing better interpretation than either of the latter's interpretation in their SP in my opinion. Mao is as delicate as the piano notes themselves in that program and although the choreography pales in comparison to her 2006-2007 version, her interpretation has adapted a poignancy to it that wasn't there before, and it's beautiful, I'd take it over Avé Maria (Which I didn't like as much as Humoresque) or Send in the Clowns any day. Though I think any of the aforementioned programs were great pieces of choreography and showcase possibly the best of what the retiring generation had to offer.

gettinglow

Match Penalty
I think a lot of her apparent "underscoring" stems from her at times dicey skating skills (to a certain extent) but probably more from her inconsistency. Actually, scratch that. Carolina is one of the most inconsistent skaters of this quad but was rewarded (deservedly) with consistently high PCS. I guess a lot of it really is, as others have stated, that her skating skills are very good but not quite great. Also, I do think her choreography (especially from Tarasova) tends to be more obviously jump-drilly than the other top ladies. That being said, her footwork sequences are marvelous and probably more exciting and intricate than any of her contemporaries.

Symmetry

Rinkside
I Got Rhythm. :laugh:

OK. That is an exception (I never understand why she did that) but it's not like she is incapable of creating something magical. Just look at Carolina's programs. I really thought Mao and Lori was a good match, much more so than Carolina and Lori. But I guess I was wrong.

aa456

On the Ice
Something I've been meaning to ask for a while, can someone please shed some light on why Mao usually gets lower GOE than Caro for step sequences? From a layman's view I can tell that Caro has deeper edges but Mao is more agile and has more intricate steps. What do judges base their GOE on?

rollerblade

Record Breaker
The judges based their GOE on where they want to place any skaters. :p

That aside, I think majority of the GOE has to do with history. For example- on any given day, if Yuna executed her 3Z3T combo the same way she had done in every competition in the past 6 years, the GOE she gets for that element is pretty much constant. If for whatever reason, she upped the ante on her usual amazing 3Z3T with more height/distance/steps, with 'tano lutz or whatever, her GOE for that element should go up accordingly. It has nothing to do with how her 3-3 compares to other skaters' 3-3. If that makes any sense.

That's why it's kinda eyeroll-worthy (imo!) when Yuna gets +1.50 for her 3Z3T, while Julia gets +1.40 for her 3Z3T.

David21

On the Ice
Something I've been meaning to ask for a while, can someone please shed some light on why Mao usually gets lower GOE than Caro for step sequences? From a layman's view I can tell that Caro has deeper edges but Mao is more agile and has more intricate steps. What do judges base their GOE on?

The intricacy of the steps has nothing to do with the GOE. GOE is about the quality of the element; the intricacy of the steps is considered in the Level.