Mirai Uses Olympic Disappointment for Motivation | Golden Skate

Mirai Uses Olympic Disappointment for Motivation

samson

Medalist
Icenetwork has a long article about Mirai and her post Nationals experience as well as how she's preparing for next season:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/04/03/70805404

It's great to hear so much from her and her perspective on how things went this past year. Also I think it's great that she's using Adam Rippon for her competitive programs. He did such good things with On Golden Pond for her and it seems like they really enjoy working with each other.

There's also something to the tone of this article... you can tell she's growing up. I don't blame her for wanting to take her time before she commits to a new coaching situation. Especially if she liked Mura but USFSA wants her training in the states. While it seems a little strange that she isn't rushing to get a new set up, it seems that once she started listening to her own instincts and intuition she was able to create the environment and set up for herself that was going to lead to success.

I'm also psyched to see she's doing two programs for SOI!!! I guess the cast is small enough they can justify that, but it makes me want to go down to Anaheim for it that much more.

desertskates

Medalist
I wish her well. Her parents must be very proud of a daughter that is this talented and level-headed.

CPWest

Rinkside
Mirai is such a composed and graceful person. Wish her well in the rest of her skating career ! Hope she would be able to make it in 2018.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
This was Michelle Kwan's expression watching Mirai's exhibition gala at US Nationals from the tunels. She captured many's mood at that moment including mine.

http://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/...26x296/375714_680581295297825_886137756_n.jpg

So good for Brian to inspire her, it really shows how effective the elders of the sport can affect the next generation. Every generosity and kindness counts.
Good for Mirai determined to prove to herself and rediscover the purpose and the joy of skating. To skate for herself, not as the next Michelle Kwan people seem to have packaged her to be. Take every moments of life's highs and lows and learn from them. Find the unique inner voice like her Galas, the Demon song gala sound amazing.

She has a uphill struggle in a crowded US field, but never say never. Don't forget she was US #1 once, and Olympics #4. Toughen up and come back stronger.
Go and rediscover the magic, Mirai!!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for posting. I am keeping my fingers crossed for her and hope she can knock everyone dead next year. I saw the video she posted (on Instagram, IIRC) of her practicing some really difficult (and Yulia like) spins.

I also think being part of SOI will be good for her confidence and she will have the support of the fans who felt she was shafted.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai was NOT shafted. Her 4CC performance in no way measured up to what the US ladies team did at Sochi and Saitama. As further proof, here is how the Seasons Best list stacks up:

6. 205.53 Gracie GOLD earned in Sochi (194.89 Worlds)
9. 194.37 Ashley WAGNER earned at TEB (193.20 Sochi, 193.16 Worlds)
12. 187.50 Polina EDMUNDS earned at Worlds (183.25 Sochi)

24. 175.37 Mirai NAGASU earned at CoR

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Mirai was NOT shafted. Her 4CC performance in no way measured up to what the US ladies team did at Sochi and Saitama. As further proof, here is how the Seasons Best list stacks up:

6. 205.53 Gracie GOLD earned in Sochi (194.89 Worlds)
9. 194.37 Ashley WAGNER earned at TEB (193.20 Sochi, 193.16 Worlds)
12. 187.50 Polina EDMUNDS earned at Worlds (183.25 Sochi)

24. 175.37 Mirai NAGASU earned at CoR

It is unfair to compare the score that way when PCS have inflate through out the season and especially at the Olympics and Worlds and also subject to how many competitions you actually get to skate, especially after the massive Russian inflations at Europeans Championships all happened AFTER Cup or Russia. Also bear in mind Mirai skated at Cup of Russia, traditionally where US skaters have greater disadvantages.

A more fairer comparison will be when did others receive around the same time as CoR.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A Seasons Best score is a Seasons Best score, regardless of when it happens. Ashley's just happens to have been at TEB, a week before CoR, but is about the same as her Worlds and Sochi score.

Mirai had 3 international scores that would be considered for SB: 141.71 at NHK, 175.37 at CoR and 159.73 at 4CC. Most scores improve as the season goes on. Mirai's 4CC score was not an improvement over her CoR score.

The variance of those scores would give anyone pause when it comes to sending Mirai to an important international competition.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
"Just to watch it was bittersweet, but it was definitely motivating at the same time," she said.

This was my favorite line. I loved how Mirai found it "motivating". Maybe because she sees that she can still be on par with the U.S. ladies after their Sochi blunders? :) P.S. I love Mirai, I really hope this motivations strengthens her skating!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Polina landed 7 clean triples in her Worlds FS, something Mirai has never done in her entire career.

If Mirai had skated at Worlds with the SP she did at 4CC (3t<+3t<-so, 3lo, 2a, time) she wouldn't have made the cut for the FS, because the Worlds caller was very, very strict and one or more of those < might have been <<.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Polina is 15 and this was her first Worlds. That is quite an achievement.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
7 clean triples and she came in 8th. So she is not unbeatable.

Only because she's 15 and new to the Senor ranks. Now that she's a bit of a known quality and has shown she can hang with the big girls her PCS will start rising too.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
A more fairer comparison will be when did others receive around the same time as CoR.

Ashley and Gracie's Olympic and Worlds scores surpassed Mirai's career best, and there is general consensus that at least Ashley wasn't over-scored. And as chuckm said, Mirai would have gotten a ton of < based on how strict the panel was on Mao. The World and Olympic teams ended up being the right decision in the end.

YLFan

Match Penalty
I kind of feel for her because she got squeezed out. Gold was the best last season and the heavily hyped Barbie Doll. NBC also heavily hyped Wagner and they weren't going to take her out after losing Lindsey Vonn. And I think they were desperate to push Edmunds as a reaction to how popular Yulia was getting and they wanted to have a younger girl in there to try to match up.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I admire Mirai so much for how she handled the Olympic and World team selections, and how she has moved on afterward. I don't disagree with the team selections, but that had to be one of the worst things ever for Mirai. And moving forward this focus is wonderful.

This was Michelle Kwan's expression watching Mirai's exhibition gala at US Nationals from the tunels. She captured many's mood at that moment including mine.

http://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/...26x296/375714_680581295297825_886137756_n.jpg

Honestly that looks like a neutral (though certainly attentive) expression to me. What was the mood during Mirai's exhibition? Maybe Michelle's expression is a little somber?

composer

On the Ice
I'm so glad to hear that she has found renewed motivation! I hope we see a rejuvenated Mirai in the fall. And I can't wait to see the new programs Rippon has choreographed for her.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So she's putting off finding a permanent coach. Nothing new there, more of the same. I'll believe in the renewed motivation when I see improved results.

volk

Final Flight
Unfortunately her best competitive days are behind her. Making a US team would be a huge accomplishment.