Unique Lunar Eclipse To Occur On April 14-15 | Golden Skate

Unique Lunar Eclipse To Occur On April 14-15

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unique Lunar Eclipse To Occur On April 14-15

This April 14-15 the world will see beginning of extraordinary lunar eclipses series. The first of it will last about 77 minutes when moon will come into the umbral shadow of the Earth and it will be totally in the shadow of our planet.

The eclipse will be unique as moon in this case will not disappear, but it will turn a different shade. It will be painted red, which is presently the most talked about thing across the world.

Astronomer Fred Espenak said the April 14 total moon eclipse will take a dramatically colorful appearance. It will range from bright orange to blood red.

Espenak is also an eclipse expert and said the light of sun will be reflected off the Earth and will create reddish color on that moon. The reddish color will be similar to that we see during sunrise or sunset.

In the next one year four such moons are said to be anticipating and there will be no particular eclipse in between.

The other three moon eclipses will occur on October 8 this year, April 4 next year, and also September 28 next year. If you miss this series, the next such series will appear in 2032-33. Hence, it is a must-see event.

Scientists say lunar eclipses are safe to watch with naked eye.

However, it is usually perceived as bad omen. In China it is believed a dragon eat up the moon. In Japan it is seen as foreshadow disaster like earthquakes.

The Islamic culture considers the event good and find it as a connection to Allah.

April 14 lunar eclipse will be visible in the eastern parts of Russia.

- thealmagest.com

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
**Sigh**So apparently it is not visible in the US so I've linked the wiki page with the details including where its visible and when. If your able to view this you should post a picture if you can.

Oh, I wish it were visible where I live. Lunar eclipses are so lovely, and in this one I side with Islamic culture: it's a beautiful phenomenon that shows the intricate glories of the universe.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually, the eclipse will be visible in most parts of the US. Not so lucky for Europe and Asia though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_2014_lunar_eclipse
I completely misread that map<:slink:> So happy it will be visible in the US. I have set a reminder in my phone so that I bump this thread to keep it fresh in our mind. I love this sort or thing. Makes you appreciate the little things knowing how small we are in comparison to what is really going on. Perspective.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
3 am begins the first full day of Passover. Shalom! And the next blood Moon, Oct 8 heralds my Bday. Seriously, it begins the Feast of Tabernacles. These are impt Jewish Feast days and next year the dates are the same. It is called a Tetrad and the always wrong John Hagee's book says it heralds big things for Israel and maybe the world. Since we are on the world Calendar and not the original Jewish Calendar, I wonder about the dates. For us Christians, Passover this year does precede our Easter and begins Holy Week. Yesterday was Palm Sunday. Friday is Good Friday, , Jesus Death at 3pm, and of course Easter is Sunday.

Happy Holidays and I hope we see some photos anyway. I have never seen a 'blood moon .'

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm in a cloudy rain zone but I have a friend in the Rockies who I've put in a request for some photos. They received over a foot of snow today and have clear skies tonight!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Alas, we have typical cloud cover here on the West coast - Vancouver, BC area. I looked out the window a few minutes ago, but could not see much. Oh well.