Donlan & Speroff Appear to Have Split | Golden Skate

Donlan & Speroff Appear to Have Split

flutzy13

On the Ice
They did not skate at SCOB's Ice Chips & are not in the USFS 2014-15 International Selection Pool. https://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=447

Looking back, it was pretty much over for this team when they failed to capitalize on their 2012 pewter medal in the wake of the Evora/Ladwig and Marley/Brubaker splits. The next fall they got passed by a mile by their training mates Castelli/Shnapir who never looked back after the 2012 GP, had a dismal 2013 Nats, got no 2013 GPs and really went into their home Nats with zero chance at the Olympic team. Still, I'll mourn what could have been if they had been able to land their jumps. They had a natural grace & elegance that no other US pair possesses and really might have been on international podiums if the technical issues had been able to be fixed much earlier. It was sad to see Gretchen so dejected after their FS at Nats and I figured this was coming then but its always sad to see such a talented team split.

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
This is sad if it's true. They were nice to watch, even if they weren't the best technically.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I was told by someone who would DEFINITELY be in the know at Nationals that they were splitting. I have kept quiet about it because I felt it was told to me under the table, but I will speak up now and say I don't doubt that they have split. They were incredibly frustrated with their lack of progress.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Just noticed Davis and Brubaker aren't on the list either. So it is likely that the rumors are true and they have also split.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry to hear this about Donlan & Speroff. If it's true about D & B, that's unfortunate too. OTOH, I'm happy about Rockne's engagement news.

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
I wonder if Gretchen and Andrew will continue with other partners? Gretchen is still young, only 20.

This is only speculation of course, not necessarily true, but I wonder if Andrew is perhaps considering skating with his girlfriend, who was a former pairs skater. (Kylie Duarte) She is also only 20. Kylie ended her partnership with Colin Grafton back in 2012, but Kylie still skates. (for fun, I think) This is a side note, but I've seen Facebook pictures of Kylie and Andrew skating together, for fun also.

Mystic

Rinkside
I spoke with a family member prior to Nationals and Donlan and Speroff were at least at that time pretty committed to staying together. Nationals was pretty devastating for them as they were hoping to at least make the 4 continents team, which would have given them a better chance of getting a GP. I understand that the split was very amicable and they remain good friends. Gretchen is looking for another partner, Andrew has been skating with his girlfriend Kylie Duarte and they actually have a video out on You tube, however it is my understanding that they are planning on doing shows together, not compete.

Best of luck to Donlan in finding a partner and keeping fingers crossed that Speroff will change his mind about competing.

fadeevfan

Rinkside
I'm more depressed about D&B, if true. They never gelled, but Rockne always seemed like the best male pairs skater in the U.S. field. Smaller than ideal, sure, but agile and strong and he presented his partner really well. If he's out for good, it's a shame.

lcd

Match Penalty
Sad to hear about this but seems the time of the year and cycle for difficult decisions. Glad to hear (and not surprised based on impressions of their character) that it was amicable.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm more depressed about D&B, if true. They never gelled, but Rockne always seemed like the best male pairs skater in the U.S. field. Smaller than ideal, sure, but agile and strong and he presented his partner really well. If he's out for good, it's a shame.

I still have fantasies of he and MBM getting back together.