Football/Soccer Is The Greatest Game On Earth. | Page 47 | Golden Skate

Football/Soccer Is The Greatest Game On Earth.

TMC

Record Breaker
Adding a match disrupts their timeline and adds costs so that's probably why they put it as a last opinion. I can't even remember when was the last time there was a head to head tiebreaker

As I understand it, the head-to-head means the matches that have already been played. I mean, it is theoretically possible that all of the matches in one group end 0-0. If they went on to have rematches, those could also end 0-0. So ultimately coin toss would make sense, otherwise the Cup could take weeks longer than allocated :biggrin:

It goes:

- GD ie. Goal Differential
- Total goals scored
- Head-to-head points
- Head-to-head GD
- Head-to-head goals scored
- Random draw ie. coin toss.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Happy for USA advancing :clap:... probably playing their next exciting match against Belgium.

Algeria - Russia 1-1… Algeria meeting Germany at eigth finals

BusyMom

Medalist
Next round:
#BRA v #CHI
#COL v #URU
#FRA v #NGA
#GER v #ALG
#NED v #MEX
#CRC v #GRE
#ARG v #SUI
#BEL v #USA

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States

:rofl:

FYI, the "American" dog is Pickle the Pug, who lives with/owns one of my office pals who's been following the WC seriously. Pickle's mom is going to loooove the comparison. The German dog's name is Pretzel. My friend says Pretzel has been a bit schizzy watching the WC b/c she's a French Bulldog, born in the US, and named for a nosh that originated in Germany. :laugh:

LRK

Record Breaker
Congratulation to the USMNT! Super happy not just the end result but I no longer have to see Ronaldo. Great skills and all but his annoying narcissism is not very flattering.

The US team deserves to be in the knock-out round more. Portugal didn't learn the fact they needed to play as a team not just put their faith in Ronaldo alone. They needed to build the team like Figo's years. Great playmaker with exciting attacked was the golden era for Portugal football not the one-man show style.

I don't think Portugal could go far anyway; Ronaldo is obviously not playing to potential after his injury; they seemed to be getting one player injured per match... Soon there'd be no one left! All right, the last was just a joke - but really, things were really going against them. Just advancing from the group stage would have no particular value to them - only save them from the shame of being eliminated in the group stage, really. For the USA it's far greater of a victory, so just from that aspect alone, I'm glad it went like it went.

LRK

Record Breaker
Algeria's joy at advancing was so nice to see - it's the first time it's happened to them, so this, in itself is a historic victory for them. Whatever happens next, they've won. :)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Next round:
#BRA v #CHI
#COL v #URU
#FRA v #NGA
#GER v #ALG
#NED v #MEX
#CRC v #GRE
#ARG v #SUI
#BEL v #USA

8 American teams

2 Afrrican teams

6 Euroopean teams

No Asian team :(

Not a team even qualifying for worls from the Nordic countries, some Asian countries, Australia or Canada :cry: Happy though that football is an all over the world competitive sport, hard to win and so exciting :popcorn:

BusyMom

Medalist
Just advancing from the group stage would have no particular value to them - only save them from the shame of being eliminated in the group stage, really.
:laugh: That's exactly is England team's mantra. Every single tournament, they plays like they have that goal in mind. Safe Face. Who cares, right? They all have crazy paycheck to fall back to at the end of the day. Look at Suarez's situation. He got banned for 4 months but Liverpool will need to pay him 4m euro during the next 4 months no matter what. :bang:

BusyMom

Medalist
Does Canada have a football team? I thought they didn't. Never seen one....:think:
:laugh: They have. They just have a bad luck with zoning. Being in the CONCACEF meaning have to go through south American team during the qualified stages. Remember Tomasz Radzinski? He was with Everton in the 90s. Only one I can remember from Canadian squad.

Alba

Record Breaker
:laugh: They have. They just have a bad luck with zoning. Being in the CONCACEF meaning have to go through south American team during the qualified stages. Remember Tomasz Radzinski? He was with Everton in the 90s. Only one I can remember from Canadian squad.

I don't remember him at all. I really had no idea that they had a team, despite the fact that I often follow CONCACAF qualifying games. :no:

BusyMom

Medalist
I don't remember him at all. I really had no idea that they had a team, despite the fact that I often follow CONCACEF qualifying games. :no:
Imagine that even when they won their qualified group match but ending up with sudden death match with Argentina! Ouch...happened once not sure which year though. Australia was in the same zoning and decided to fight FIFA to change to Asian Zone. Smart move for Australia. :clap:

Alba

Record Breaker
Imagine that even when they won their qualified group match but ending up with sudden death match with Argentina! Ouch...happened once not sure which year though. Australia was in the same zoning and decided to fight FIFA to change to Asian Zone. Smart move for Australia. :clap:

Yes. I think it makes more sense for Australia to be in that zone.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I liked the way Belgium played in the first half more than the "good" version of the team from the other two matches. I really hope Hazard is going to play well next matches, this team has a good chance this year.:)

Alba

Record Breaker
Look at Suarez's situation. He got banned for 4 months but Liverpool will need to pay him 4m euro during the next 4 months no matter what. :bang:

Liverpool should have got rid of this nutter last year. I hope they will this year, and if any club signs Suarez without a clause that will halt their weekly payment due to suspension for a physical contact ban they are very very stupid. Or they simply don't care, so Amen.

Alba

Record Breaker
President Obama on Thursday applauded the United States men’s national soccer team hours after it advanced to the knockout round of the World Cup despite falling to three-time champion Germany, 1-0.

“I have to begin by congratulating our U.S. soccer team, Team USA,” the president said in his opening remarks at a town hall event in Minneapolis. He joined in briefly as the crowd at Minnehaha Park erupted in chants of “U-S-A! U-S-A!”

World Cup 2014: Complete Coverage
“You know, we were in what’s called the ‘group of death’,” Mr. Obama said, citing the unusually competitive set of teams. “And even though we didn’t win today, we were in the toughest grouping, and we got through. And so we’ve still got a chance to win the World Cup.”

With two wins and a draw, Germany topped the group with seven points. After defeating Ghana 2-1, Portugal landed at four points – neck-and-neck with the United States – but a better goal difference propelled the U.S. forward.

“We could not be prouder of them,” the president said of the U.S. players. “They are defying the odds and earned a lot of believers in the process. And I want everybody on the team to know that all of us back home are really proud of them.”

Images surfaced Thursday of the president watching the game aboard Air Force One on his way to Minnesota, where he’s spending the next two days talking about the economy and attending Democratic Party fundraisers.

USA in the quarter final. Mark my words. :)