What happens to Gracie Gold if she doesn't win any Grand Prix events next season? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What happens to Gracie Gold if she doesn't win any Grand Prix events next season?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'll be honest, Gracie wasn't on my radar until Nationals this year. I don't know anything about her beyond Nationals, Sochi and Worlds but looking at her skills and on paper, I think she's easily #1 for the US for the next quad. She's very neat and tidy on technique, she spins very well and she can work on bigger PCS #s. 4th in Sochi, 5th in the world... she's headed in the right direction! Even if she doesn't win GP gold, I think she can definitely medal and qualify for the final.

Fixed. I wouldn't say she's easily the US #1, particularly when she lost the FS to both Edmunds and Wagner, and was less than 1.5 points ahead of Wagner overall. She has the potential to be #1, but I think others will clip at her heels, and it's not a sure bet.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Fixed. I wouldn't say she's easily the US #1, particularly when she lost the FS to both Edmunds and Wagner, and was less than 1.5 points ahead of Wagner overall. She has the potential to be #1, but I think others will clip at her heels, and it's not a sure bet.

Three straight wins over Wagner makes her number #1 going into next season. Whether she stays there or not is the question.

desertskates

Medalist
I don't think anything "happens". She just doesn't win.
It would be much better to have a silver and bronze or whatever instead of one gold and one complete implosion.

R.D.

Record Breaker
No offense to the OP, but...do we really need 5 or 6 different Gracie Gold threads? :unsure: Seems like a new one pops up every week or so...

Anyway, I never really understood why so many fans put great emphasis on the GP. I mean, it's a great avenue for skaters to move up the rankings and get comfortable with new programs, get into season's groove, but as far as any serious evaluation - forget it.

So - the answer to this question for me seems to be quite short & simple: Nothing.

Three straight wins over Wagner makes her number #1 going into next season. Whether she stays there or not is the question.

I agree. I can't see how some could think that Gold ISN'T the US #1 because she has beaten Wagner 3x in a row now, and 2 of those times Wagner seemed to be near her best...

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Not hate thread but serious discussion here, lots of people here seems to be thoughtful for Gracie's career. Isn't it good for her..

I really like Gracie! I just think if she's gonna make a play for the big leagues and be a threat for golds going forward, her time to do so is now. Reputation DOES matter and if she can build a solid reputation then she could be a serious contender for gold in 2018. If she isn't able to capitalize on her talent, it will be problematic for her to build towards the PCS on par with the top ladies (because of reputation). Look at Jeremy--he doesn't have a great reputation and even when he skates a clean program, his PCS are (is?) lower. I don't think it's NOW OR NEVERRRR but I think if she's really going to be competing neck and neck with (insert Russian here) she's gotta start kicking butt this season.

Amei

Record Breaker
Unless somebody in US figure skating comes along and blows her out of the water, if she is still competing in 2018 regardless of her results in the past 4 years - the US media will prop her up as OGM favorite.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Unless somebody in US figure skating comes along and blows her out of the water, if she is still competing in 2018 regardless of her results in the past 4 years - the US media will prop her up as OGM favorite.

I personally just don't want to go through the mind-numbing experience that was the 'Gold for gold!!!1!!1' campaign hoisted onto every network this year again.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I really like Gracie! I just think if she's gonna make a play for the big leagues and be a threat for golds going forward, her time to do so is now. Reputation DOES matter and if she can build a solid reputation then she could be a serious contender for gold in 2018. If she isn't able to capitalize on her talent, it will be problematic for her to build towards the PCS on par with the top ladies (because of reputation). Look at Jeremy--he doesn't have a great reputation and even when he skates a clean program, his PCS are (is?) lower. I don't think it's NOW OR NEVERRRR but I think if she's really going to be competing neck and neck with (insert Russian here) she's gotta start kicking butt this season.
She is very lovely on ice, and I think she is gaining momentum, not very fast but her replacement is not bad. I think her PCS is getting higher next season. But it depends on her mostly if she can make it, there are lots of talents out there.

b-man

Final Flight
She would not beat Adelina Sotnikova if they were both at Skate America. Adelina has a clean 3Lutz-3Toe and Level 4 steps with +3 GOE. She has a soon-to-be-unveiled quad toe. She has beautiful artistry, a thousand transitions, and immaculate skating skills, all the ingredients necessary to earn 75 PCS. She is the Zamboni Who Will Ice the World. If she competes at Gracie, Skate America will have no chance.

Adelina getting level 4 steps and +3 GOE's at SA?? I don't think their will be 5 Russian leaning judges at SA.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
She would not beat Adelina Sotnikova if they were both at Skate America. Adelina has a clean 3Lutz-3Toe and Level 4 steps with +3 GOE. She has a soon-to-be-unveiled quad toe. She has beautiful artistry, a thousand transitions, and immaculate skating skills, all the ingredients necessary to earn 75 PCS. She is the Zamboni Who Will Ice the World. If she competes at Gracie, Skate America will have no chance.
Adelina getting level 4 steps and +3 GOE's at SA?? I don't think their will be 5 Russian leaning judges at SA.

Pretty sure that is a sarcastic post.

CarneAsada +2

b-man

Final Flight
I would imagine just like how they protected Wagner last season at SA by giving Ashley as weak of competition as possible so she would make the GPF they will do the same for Gracie.

Correct, as I have noted on previous posts. Gracie is certainly a favorite to make the GPF, with the easy opposition she will have at SA.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yes CSG seems to be the only one delusional enough to believe that right now Gold isnt clearly U.S #1.

"Clearly" is pretty subjective. She lost the FS to both of her teammates at Worlds and finished 1.5 points ahead of Wagner, which isn't "clearly #1" in my eyes. Not to mention, she hasn't performed as well as Wagner did internationally last season. At this point, yes, Gold is better than Wagner, but not immensely since she still hasn't shown consistency. I don't think anyone, even you, would put money down on Gold against Wagner given the results of the most recent competition.

You're only as good as your last competition. Before the Olympics people would have said (and did say) Kostner "clearly" isn't going to win a medal at Olympics or Worlds, given her early season performances. Many would have also written off Sotnikova as clearly not winning an Olympic medal (whether a propped up gold or otherwise), pre-Russian nationals.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie DID finish ahead of both of her teammates at Nationals, Sochi and Saitama---I'd say that is pretty consistent. It doesn't matter that they finished ahead of her in the FS at Saitama, it's the final placement that counts.

Daleman beat Osmond in the FS at Saitama, but Osmond beat Daleman overall. :p

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Gracie DID finish ahead of both of her teammates at Nationals, Sochi and Saitama---I'd say that is pretty consistent. It doesn't matter that they finished ahead of her in the FS at Saitama, it's the final placement that counts.

Daleman beat Osmond in the FS at Saitama, but Osmond beat Daleman overall. :p

I think most would agree Gold was overscored in her Saitama FS. Compare the PCS in Saitama with a single axel and a downgraded fall (66.69) that to the PCS in her team event FS where she went clean (61.89). Makes no sense, like Kostner getting 73.78 PCS for that 3-triple FS, compared to the Olympics where she scored 73.77 for a clean skate with 7 triples. I take the scoring in Sochi and some of the scores in Saitama with a HUGE grain of salt. Once everyone cools down after Olympic fever, hopefully skaters will get properly scored to resume the upcoming season.

If all the other girls' PCS are brought back down to earth, Wagner still has a shot at hanging with the big guns, even a flawed Gracie.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think most would agree Gold was overscored in her Saitama FS. Compare the PCS in Saitama with a single axel and a downgraded fall (66.69) that to the PCS in her team event FS where she went clean (61.89). Makes no sense, like Kostner getting 73.78 PCS for that 3-triple FS, compared to the Olympics where she scored 73.77 for a clean skate with 7 triples. I take the scoring in Sochi and some of the scores in Saitama with a HUGE grain of salt. Once everyone cools down after Olympic fever, hopefully skaters will get properly scored to resume the upcoming season.
If all the other girls' PCS are brought back down to earth, Wagner still has a shot at hanging with the big guns, even a flawed Gracie.
What if PCS inflation is just a bonus/gift from speedy to cover up Sochi? :scratch:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
What if PCS inflation is just a bonus/gift from speedy to cover up Sochi? :scratch:

I don't think Sotnikova getting overscored on her PCS to get a gold medal and beat Kim/Kostner would be mitigated by Kostner being overscored on her PCS to beat Pogorilaya. If anything it's super sketchy.

At least Lipnitskaia's PCS wasn't in the 70's again, although it was still too high, along with Gold's, and Kostner's.