Skaters on Team Japan | Page 28 | Golden Skate

Skaters on Team Japan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So what are points for making 3 lots for next year ?

- if Hanyu wins, then Kozuka and Mura must be on what positions ?

At least 12th.

I thought that the 1st and 2nd place can secure 3 spots for their country. If they finish 3rd and below then 2 of the countries skater must finish with a total of 13. If they have 3 skaters then the top 2 finishers will be counted Into the 13 total

shiroKJ:
Only countries with only one skater competing at Worlds get three spots with a first or second place.
So that rule does not apply to Japan.

For Japan, the top two placements count (even if one of them is first or second place).

So even if Hanyu places first, Kozuka or Mura must place at least twelfth to get three spots. That is what Mrs. P was saying in answer to HanDomi.

ioanna

Record Breaker
It looks like this is the first time since 2008 when no Japanese male skater managed to make the podium.

In 2008 Daisuke Takahashi took the gold beating Jeffrey Buttle by around 30 points. In Takahashi's absence, Takahiko Kozuka claimed the bronze in 2009. Tatsuki Machida got the silver in 2010, Daisuke won again in 2011 and took the silver medal in 2012, Yuzuru got a silver medal in 2013 and Takahito Mura and Takahiko Kozuka made a 1-2 finish last year.

The ladies find themselves in the same situation. Ever since 2008 they have been a constant presence on the podium: Mao Asada (gold in 2008 and 2013, silver in 2011 and 2012, bronze in 2009), Miki Ando (gold in 2011, bronze in 2008), Akiko Suzuki (silver in 2011 and 2013), Kanako Murakami (gold in 2014, bronze in 2013) and Satoko Miyahara (silver in 2014). Good luck to the Japanese ladies in the free! Maybe both Satoko and Rika can medal. :)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Both girls went in with considerable pressure, and did well. They also got to bring back some 'hardware'. So hooray!
This slight disappointment, I hope, will help them get into gear for worlds. The Team Japan guys too.

Meoima

Match Penalty
To be fair, had Daisuke Murakami skated in the final group in the SP, his PCS might have been higher, he could have gotten the bronze. He had higher TES in both SP and LP both than Han Yan and Joshua.
To think that JSF has not enough backup for him...:slink:

ioanna

Record Breaker
To be fair, had Daisuke Murakami skated in the final group in the SP, his PCS might have been higher, he could have gotten the bronze. He had higher TES in both SP and LP both than Han Yan and Joshua.
To think that JSF has not enough backup for him...:slink:

He might have had the highest TES but he's not quite as good as Han Yan or Joshua Farris to get higher PCS. I think the podium was right.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
He might have had the highest TES but he's not quite as good as Han Yan or Joshua Farris to get higher PCS. I think the podium was right.

He could do with some skating drills. That will get his speed up, even at the end of the program.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Obviously I like both Han Yan and Josh better than him. But to be fair he didn't have any obvious mistake in both his skates, he had 3 quads landed. So if he got just about 39 PCS and 83 PCS like other Japanese men, he might have gotten the bronze. And people wouldn't complain too much since it could be either way. In this case I think skate order harm him.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Obviously I like both Han Yan and Josh better than him. But to be fair he didn't have any obvious mistake in both his skates, he had 3 quads landed. So if he got just about 39 PCS and 83 PCS like other Japanese men, he might have gotten the bronze. And people wouldn't complain too much since it could be either way. In this case I think skate order harm him.

Since PCS are mostly based on reputation and consistency, he'll get there if he starts being more consistent.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Since PCS are mostly based on reputation and consistency, he'll get there if he starts being more consistent.
He just won NHK didn't he? But I guess it's not enough. And it's true that he's really inconsistent.
I have no doubt that Frank is a great coach, but why his current skaters are all inconsistent.

ioanna

Record Breaker
He just won NHK didn't he? But I guess it's not enough. And it's true that he's really inconsistent.
I have no doubt that Frank is a great coach, but why his current skaters are all inconsistent.

He did but I'd say a surprise win at a GP event is not enough for his PCS to skyrocket. Especially when all of his team mates are more decorated. But as he mentioned in a recent interview he wanted to retire after he dislocated his shoulder at the 2012 NHK Trophy but changed his mind. He's probably not regretting his decision now that he's producing the best results of his career. He said he wants more for himself so I have no doubt he will work to stay consistent and improve his skating to get higher PCS.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I agree. I'm a fan of both Josh and Han Yan, but I'd have no problem with Murakami on the podium. He skated really well and delivered his content.

Sadly, he made some frustrating strategy choices--4S-2T in SP, no third combo in LP...

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Well done to the 4CC ladies - Hongo and Miyahara managed to bring back medals...

...but I also thought Yuka Nagai did very well too in her senior debut. 6th place in that field was quite an achievement. Her "inspired by Machida" East of Eden SP was really beautiful.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Yuka Nagai is lovely to watch. Really graceful and her jumps are high and light. If she learns to keep her nerve, she'll go far.

Satoko and Rika were so cute in the interview together. They looked like a comedy duo, the Tall one and the Short one. Both are quite shy, but so endearing and genuine in their answers and hesitations. I hope they don't change too much as they get used to the media. I want to keep hearing their 'real' voices.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
ohhh, where did you see the interview?? was it in english? i have been dying to hear satoko speak english since i heard her english is really fluid, cause she lived in USA till she was 6 (or 7?)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
ohhh, where did you see the interview?? was it in english? i have been dying to hear satoko speak english since i heard her english is really fluid, cause she lived in USA till she was 6 (or 7?)

No, it was from the Japanese broadcast I watched with my family. They both spoke Japanese, and they said normal things, but they way they said it was cute. Rika has a bit of a 'Northern' or country accent with a low voice, and Satoko speaks very softly. Many times, Japanese try to get rid of their accents but I like them.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I agree. I'm a fan of both Josh and Han Yan, but I'd have no problem with Murakami on the podium. He skated really well and delivered his content.
Sadly, he made some frustrating strategy choices--4S-2T in SP, no third combo in LP...
This. Exactly what I wanted to say. I'd have no problem if Murakami got the bronze or silver, since what he did was amazing. I still think the skate order in SP hurt him a bit. But well... Maybe next season JSF will pay more attention to him? Good luck Dice.

Yuka Nagai is lovely to watch. Really graceful and her jumps are high and light. If she learns to keep her nerve, she'll go far.
Bu she often pops jumps, that will hurt her chances if she doesn't fix it.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
No, it was from the Japanese broadcast I watched with my family. They both spoke Japanese, and they said normal things, but they way they said it was cute. Rika has a bit of a 'Northern' or country accent with a low voice, and Satoko speaks very softly. Many times, Japanese try to get rid of their accents but I like them.

i can imagine them being very cute, they seem really shy, esp satoko, i remember her interview at nationals after her win i could barely hear her voice :laugh: hopefully they will be as goofy as their elders in time :laugh2:
i see, hopefully nbc interviewed them (not just the winner) so we can see it :biggrin: