Skaters on Team Japan | Page 30 | Golden Skate

Skaters on Team Japan

Meoima

Match Penalty
How the judges are marking skaters at JW finally made me outrage. Even more than when Parrick won 2013, at least he had big jumps to begin with. Too dissapointed of ISU after reading Mishin's interview.
IMO Wakaba should have the silver. But she's young so that's not a matter in time. Her flip in the FS was clean. To be fair I don't think she was underscored. More like someone else was overscored too much IMO. But whatever...

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I didn't know about her too much. Just watched video of her FS today for the first time, and wow, her jumps are really amazing :shocked:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Wakaba's strong jumps and energy truly remind me of Midori Ito. I also think she deserved better than bronze but I'm sure she'll come back even stronger next year.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I know this sounds really stupid, but I enjoyed watching Hiroaki Sato today. He's unlikely to ever make it in the deep field of Japanese men... but there's something about seeing a skater attack everything with maximum speed and no fear. Even his spins were entertaining.

I liked Sota too--yes, he has crossovers/breathing points, but his program has better musical timing than some super-busy ones from his competitors. And his jumps are quite beautiful.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Hiroaki is fun to watch! He's 19, so he probably won't get much exposure in the Senior Ranks but he loves to skate! That is certain.

ioanna

Record Breaker
I know this sounds really stupid, but I enjoyed watching Hiroaki Sato today. He's unlikely to ever make it in the deep field of Japanese men... but there's something about seeing a skater attack everything with maximum speed and no fear. Even his spins were entertaining.

Not if he takes the path of timshel :biggrin: Apart from the things you mentioned, he's also quite an entertaining performer.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Not if he takes the path of timshel :biggrin: Apart from the things you mentioned, he's also quite an entertaining performer.
Don't remind me... The word "timshel" actually makes me cringe now. Oh Tatsuki, why...

I was pleasantly surprised that the judges gave Sato decent PCS (considering he had jump errors, no rep, and skated early). Will he get any GPs next year?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Don't remind me... The word "timshel" actually makes me cringe now. Oh Tatsuki, why...

I was pleasantly surprised that the judges gave Sato decent PCS (considering he had jump errors, no rep, and skated early). Will he get any GPs next year?

Sota come a long way this season. He was 11th at JGP Lativia just last season. Then this season, he medals at both of his JGP, makes the JGPF, breaks the SP record there and now he's a junior world medalist!

Last edited:

GermaricanMix

On the Ice

I don't understand the timshel reference :slink:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Sota is too young! He doesn't turn 15 until October, so he misses the cutoff for 2015-2016. No harm, he'll have another year to grow and improve in juniors. He's come a long way this season. He was 11th at JGP Lativia just last season. Then this season, he medals at both of his JGP, makes the JGPF, breaks the SP record there and now he's a junior world medalist!

Sota was born January 10, 2000 Mrs. P so he is already 15.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I don't understand the timshel reference :slink:

Timshel ("Thou mayest") is the motto adopted by Tatsuki from the novel "East of Eden" (in turn taken from the Bible) to improve himself when he was in his words the "sixth man" in the pecking order of the Japanese male skaters so he could make it to the Japanese national team for Sochi.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Sota come a long way this season. He was 11th at JGP Lativia just last season. Then this season, he medals at both of his JGP, makes the JGPF, breaks the SP record there and now he's a junior world medalist!

Sandpiper was talking about Hiroaki Sato though. Maybe he will get some GPs next season.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Sandpiper was talking about Hiroaki Sato though. Maybe he will get some GPs next season.

Oh boy. I should just leave this thread. Clearly I am not competent enough to be part of this discussion. :laugh2:

Sato's definitely old enough. LOL

ioanna

Record Breaker
Oh boy. I should just leave this thread. Clearly I am not competent enough to be part of this discussion. :laugh2:

No such thing. I just got a bit confused at which of them was the subject of the discussion. :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Don't mind me, I'm just a crazy person who likes the #3 Japanese guy, and wants to discuss him over the two that medalled. :laugh: So, umm, will he get GPs? ;)

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker

Not at all Mrs. P. We can't be at our best all the time, and I too have at times misread posts.

Posted this before, but let me again congratulate you and Mr. P on your coming bundle of joy. :)

ioanna

Record Breaker
Don't mind me, I'm just a crazy person who likes the #3 Japanese guy, and wants to discuss him over the two that medalled. :laugh: So, umm, will he get GPs? ;)

Sometimes being interested in the 3rd Japanese guy can bring unexpected things so it's not necessarily a bad thing :laugh: I can see him getting at least a GP event since he's already 19. There will be some vacant spots after all.