Yuzuru Hanyu: I still have too many shortcomings (Interview) | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: I still have too many shortcomings (Interview)

makaihime

Final Flight
An interview that I thought was really insightful and just wanted to share. It gives us a look into what the next quad might look like for him. He's got a good head on his shoulders and is realistic about his own abilities and future, which is always nice to see. :)

Interview with the Champion/King, Yuzuru Hanyu: I still have too many shortcomings

—The figure skating season has ended with the World Championships. Standing at the top once again after the Sochi Olympics in February at which he won the first gold medal for Japanese men, this has been a season of great advancement for Yuzuru Hanyu (ANA). We ask him about his current thinking and thoughts toward his future competitive career.

Interviewer: You won the Olympics and the World Championships.

Yuzuru: Its great if we only look at the results, but on the whole some issues remain. I did not skate the FS well at the Olympics. I have regrets for all my competitions. Even if I landed all my jumps, when I look back at the performance aspect there are still rough and unfinished parts.

Interviewer: What are the areas you are especially concerned with?

Yuzuru: Expression and posture. I want to do a quadruple jump that no one else can do. But, of utmost importance now is my performance and skating skills. My posture worsened in the second half of my FS. I want to project my feelings from inside me more, and to be able to do this while doing beautiful positions.

The technical skills I have demonstrated till now cannot achieve anything. As my foundation is still not firm, in the four years I have until the Pyeongchang Olympics I want to find the direction to correct my shortcomings. Right now I would like to learn ballet.

Interviewer: Although you have become number one in the world you continue to say “I can push myself further”.

Yuzuru: The actor who won the Academy Awards this year said “The person I will be 10 years later is my hero”. At the age of 10 it would be myself at 20, when I am 20 my hero would be myself at 30. I was touched by that actor’s words, and I think this is a mindset that would allow one to remain steadfast.

As a skater maybe I would have retired 10 years down the road, but its good to think just one year or half a year ahead. That person I would become by then would be stronger mentally and physically.

Interviewer: As you move forward will your ideals change again?

Yuzuru: To put it simply the distance from my ideal has not shortened. Although I have yet to reach it, winning competitions as part of the process gives me a small sense of achievement. I think I would like to experience a big sense of achievement. Once a target has been set, to have reached it would be to have expended everything.

Even at the time I won the Olympic gold medal I already have another target in a separate place. Pyeongchang awaits. The happiness and joy of being able to do my best would enhance me, wouldn’t it?

Interviewer: In what ways do you want to grow next season?

Yuzuru: I still have too many shortcomings. I will turn 20 this year and the competitive seasons I have left are really numbered. As it will come to an end if I get injured, I want to stay healthy and day by day, just work hard to be able to expand myself in the future.

Credit: http://nanoka12.tumblr.com/post/81767330581/00l0-via-twitter-yuzuporuko

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yeah, he wants to stay healthy yet he still perform like a jump-obsessive guy this summer? And practice that 4 loop and fell lots of times? Seriously, I don't believe he is taking care of his health that much.

noskates

Record Breaker
Well at least he's not living with his head in the clouds.......nice touch of reality.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I love how he wants to challenge himself and recognizes that results aside, he wasn't perfect. He will do well as long as he stays injury-free. Kid's got a good head on his shoulders.

It reminds me of Mishkutenok coming back for Lillehammer when she wasn't gunning for a second gold, but found her motivation. She said something like "in Albertville I wasn't perfect. Tonight [in 1994] I was." She and Dmitriev turned in one of the greatest Olympic free skates of all time that night. That's the mark of a true champion.

I'm glad he sees that he still has some work to do to elevate his skating. I hope he doesn't wear his body out, though. I'd love to see him reach his peak safely and healthfully.

cuon_alpinus

On the Ice
What a humble attitude:) This is how champion acts, not like "Yay I am a champion, I was better than everyone else. Other skaters should do harder programs like me."

Meoima

Match Penalty
What a humble attitude:) This is how champion acts, not like "Yay I am a champion, I was better than everyone else. Other skaters should do harder programs like me."
Yeah, unlike another certain gold medalist we all know and don't need to mention her name. :popcorn:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^Don't eat too much popcorn or you too may have regrets. Speaking of the interview, wow! Not that I expected less but he really delivers. On the ice and off. It's nice to adore someone's skating and hold respect for them off of the ice too.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Yuzu would benefit greatly from ballet training, so I hope he does pursue that. That can only help his posture and performance issues.

As others have said, his humility is refreshing for someone who won the GPF, the OGM and Worlds.

Meoima

Match Penalty
^Don't eat too much popcorn or you too may have regrets. Speaking of the interview, wow! Not that I expected less but he really delivers. On the ice and off. It's nice to adore someone's skating and hold respect for them off of the ice too.

I am just a shallow who loves drama. Anyways I love popcorn. :biggrin:

Speaking of the interview, it's good that he wants some ballet training. I hope he maintains his flexibility for a long time. Would ballet training help him with that?

But I am very uncertain about David Wilson. I hope he will not be in charge of Hanyu's long program next season. Short program, maybe. But long? Please choose somebody else. I wonder if Hanyu himself knows that lots of people are criticizing his free skate choreography.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would love to see Hanyu as a repeat OGM, and hope he doesn't injure himself in his pursuit of a second Olympic gold. Ballet would be very helpful to his posture and his overall skating.

lbc2138

On the Ice
He may have shortcomings, but considering that he is only 19 with a lot of room to grow, he's definitely on a path that most skaters can only dream of. I hope his ballet/dance lessons help his posture because that's the only thing that bothers me about his performances. I also noticed in his later skaters during the ice shows, his edges have gotten a lot better, a lot deeper and a lot faster. Seeing him grow has got to be one of the most exciting things to witness as a fan.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
yes, ballet will help him keep his flexibility. I have had ballet for many years and I can still "do the splits" !

It will definitely help with his posture. You can always tell someone who has had dance training.