I Gotta Crow, Yay Connecticut NCAA Basketball | Golden Skate

I Gotta Crow, Yay Connecticut NCAA Basketball

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/...son-wins-record-ninth-women-basketball-title/

Connecticut is a small state. We have no major league sports teams at all. What we do have is college basketball. This year, UConn repeated as the only college to win the men's and women's NCAA basketball championships in the same year. The UConn women completed a perfect 40-0 season, and their coach, Geno Auriemma, became the winningest ever women's coach, with 9 National Championships. What is perhaps more remarkable, the Lady Huskies have won every NCAA championship game they have ever played in.

The men won, coming from the seventh seed in their bracket; quite a feat. I wonder whether they were inspired by the fear that someone would again put up a big billboard on the highway, reading:

UConn: Where Men are Men, and Women are Champions.

So it is a great year for CT. Both the men and women are Champions.

I'm looking forward to seeing one or more of the women on the US Olympic team in 2 years.

Congrats, Doris!

Even I know about UConn. I love that they excel in both men's and women's basketball. (I almost said ladies' basketball out of skating habit.) It's splendid about Auriemma. I'm surprised to learn about UConn's perfect record in NCAA championships, because the one other team I know of is the Lady Vols of Tennessee.

What are you going to do to celebrate? Will it involve chocolate?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I was thinking of you, congrats Doris!

Also, it's a huge bonus for me because UConn beat UK!! While part of me wanted to cheer for my former commonwealth, I just can't get around the fact that I don't care for the the team or its rabid fans (if you think some fans are super uber here, you haven't met a UK fan).

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to UConn, well done! Quite an accomplishment for the men and the ladies teams.

Any chocolate left Doris?

cooper

Medalist
in the next few years usa women's basketball team will be composed of the entire uconn team.. with a head-coach also from uconn!:laugh:

that's how good uconn's program..

taurasi
bird
moore
cash
charles
and now stewart

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Oddly enough, (but not so much if you think about it) the ESPN bracket challenge for the men was won by Tim Watrous, a UConn uberfan from New London, Connecticut, who got 7 of the Elite 8 right, and had UConn winning by a nearly correct score. Unfortunately, because his bracket wasn't perfect, he doesn't get Warren Buffett's huge one billion dollar prize for a perfect bracket. He got ESPN interviews, a T-shirt, a chance for 10K in a drawing of the top one percent of finishers, and the satisfaction of having done something better than eleven million other people.

http://www.theday.com/article/20140409/NWS01/304099928/1070/FRONTPAGE#.U0ZdpY7D_MI

Last edited: