How long does it take for skaters to prepare for the next season? | Golden Skate

How long does it take for skaters to prepare for the next season?

Meoima

Match Penalty
There is this question that has been bugging me for a while, I hope you guys will enlighten me.
How long does it take for skaters to prepare for the next season?

If I remember correctly, then early senior competitions of the season usually start from October. So skaters have all the summer and the fall to prepare both of their long and short program.

But most top skaters are always busy with ice shows in summer from April to July. So I am curious, how can they manage with such tight schedule?

Normally to prepare for 2 programs, how many months do skaters have to work with choreographer and the coach?:confused:

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Most of them start thinking about and putting together their new programs, music and choreography around May or June, but some start as early as April, right after Worlds. Some may wait until July, but it's normally a disadvantage to fall too far behind your competitors. Most of them are capable of balancing doing a few ice shows and local club events along with beginning to meet with their coaches and choreographers and lay the groundwork for next season.

It also depends on whether they are in the middle of recovering from an injury, changing coaches or choreographers or altering some aspect of their training routine. Other factors are also whether it is an Olympic season or a non-Olympic season and what the calendar for the season ahead is.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some of them use the Ice shows to try new things out to that will potentially fill their program. Especially the in between tirns and edges and little things that make a program unique! Yulia and her team are quoted as saying they've already looked at a few songs and concepts. Nothing public yet though has been announced.

I'm editing music for two girls for the following season (2016) if that's any indication.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Some of them use the Ice shows to try new things out to that will potentially fill their program. Especially the in between tirns and edges and little things that make a program unique! Yulia and her team are quoted as saying they've already looked at a few songs and concepts. Nothing public yet though has been announced.
I'm editing music for two girls for the following season (2016) if that's any indication.
Thank you very much for the information.
Do you know how many people in a team of each skater? The skater, the coach and choreographer? Maybe the doctor?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last year it was basically Yulia and Ilya doing very late night sessions but I have a feeling she'll be his biggest priority this year. Yulia actually wanted to do her own choreo before they brought in Morozov who did two seasons with her(I think). From my knowledge though its just the three of them. Although Sergei Dudakov seems to be around a lot...not sure what his role is. He was at some but not all of her events. I don't know his role at all. I don't have enough knowledge of other skaters as Yulia stole my attention away from the rest. Wouldn't be surprised if others were similar though.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm on my iPhone 99% of the time here and make errors galore:slink:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Anyway, I'm already thinking of next season and when we may catch a glimpse of our favorite skater's new programs...and costumes!
of course the more time you have to prepare the better, but some of the skaters are scheduled for LOTS of shows. When do they get the time to make their new programs?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Anyway, I'm already thinking of next season and when we may catch a glimpse of our favorite skater's new programs...and costumes!
of course the more time you have to prepare the better, but some of the skaters are scheduled for LOTS of shows. When do they get the time to make their new programs?

This is the time of year I get VERY impatient for music. How else can I start the "aaaaaaaaaaah dooooooooooooooooooooomed" or "ahhhhhhhh can't wait" if I don't know the music? :p

I set out a little table of my favourites and their known shorts and longs. It's looking rather empty at the moment with the only entry being Joshua's retaining of Schindler's List (and my resultant jump for joy).

Alba

Record Breaker
Last year it was basically Yulia and Ilya doing very late night sessions but I have a feeling she'll be his biggest priority this year. Yulia actually wanted to do her own choreo before they brought in Morozov who did two seasons with her(I think). From my knowledge though its just the three of them. Although Sergei Dudakov seems to be around a lot...not sure what his role is. He was at some but not all of her events. I don't know his role at all. I don't have enough knowledge of other skaters as Yulia stole my attention away from the rest. Wouldn't be surprised if others were similar though.

I hope Yulia is keeping Ilya as her coreo.

anyanka

Record Breaker
This is the time of year I get VERY impatient for music. How else can I start the "aaaaaaaaaaah dooooooooooooooooooooomed" or "ahhhhhhhh can't wait" if I don't know the music? :p

I set out a little table of my favourites and their known shorts and longs. It's looking rather empty at the moment with the only entry being Joshua's retaining of Schindler's List (and my resultant jump for joy).

Let's not forget that the ISU is permitting music with lyrics starting next season!!! That will blow wide open the usual array of musical selection beyond orchestral and piano concerto music.

I predict a lot of Broadway vocals across the board, but hope it isn't as distracting as C/B with their Les Mis FD, it was cacophonous to me in presentation and took away from dance. But thankfully we won't have the "elevator music" equivalent of say V/T's 2011-12 SP to a watered-down Evanescence song.

I wonder if some skaters already have a list of "dream music" they want to skate to already in mind, and they just pick from that short list of pieces they like.

aschiutza

On the Ice
I predict that in the first years the top skaters will choose clasical /musical music with voice and not something too modern. Normally the judges are not on the young side and choosing something like Rihanna might not go well with the judges. So i expect loads of Pavarotti (Vinceroooo, Vinceeeeerooooo).

I would give 5 points more to PCS to some girl having the guts to choose the music from Victor, Victoria :biggrin: .

BusyMom

Medalist
I predict that in the first years the top skaters will choose clasical /musical music with voice and not something too modern. Normally the judges are not on the young side and choosing something like Rihanna might not go well with the judges. So i expect loads of Pavarotti (Vinceroooo, Vinceeeeerooooo).

I would give 5 points more to PCS to some girl having the guts to choose the music from Victor, Victoria :biggrin: .

I thought so too. Hope it won't give us the feeling of watching the re-run of some boring opera or broadway.

At least Misha Ge will give us some K-Pop, I think.

anyanka

Record Breaker

And doing a costume change halfway, on ice. :p

Broadway would be a nice compromise as the songs would generally be familiar. There could be lots of jazz standards like Sinatra, Dean Martin, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone.

And I'm inclined to not want to reward a young female skater trying to interpret, say, Rihanna's "Rude Boy". If the competitor is younger than the age of majority I would be really frightened and call child services on the coach and choreographer! :$

aschiutza

On the Ice
I am curious who will be the fisrt to choose "You'll never walk alone". I hope at least they will go for Mario Lanza version :yay: (but i doubt that many young people knows who Mario Lanza was)

anyanka

Record Breaker
I am curious who will be the fisrt to choose "You'll never walk alone". I hope at least they will go for Mario Lanza version :yay: (but i doubt that many young people knows who Mario Lanza was)

I'm younger than 40 and I remember how creepily they used that music in Kate Winslet's film debut in "Heavenly Creatures"!

Good point as someone said too, more arias will be used. How many version of "E Lucevan le Stelle" can we expect now?

Alba

Record Breaker
Good point as someone said too, more arias will be used. How many version of "E Lucevan le Stelle" can we expect now?

I really hope they will leave vocal where they're now. I can't stand them in dance, let alone in other disciplines.:no:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I really hope they will leave vocal where they're now. I can't stand them in dance, let alone in other disciplines.:no:
But if it's rock music I would be very happy to enjoy. Someone please skate to Linkin Park music. :love: or Imagine dragon. That would be epic.

BusyMom

Medalist
I'm younger than 40 and I remember how creepily they used that music in Kate Winslet's film debut in "Heavenly Creatures"!
That movie is very creepy by itself. The book is not so bad though. Every time I watch Winslet I thought about Heavenly Creatures. :slink:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Could Joshua be the first big-name US Senior to try lyrics?

One skater bursting with excitement is Josh Farris, the 2013 world junior champion who finished fourth at the U.S. Championships in January. Farris is considering John Mayer or Jason Mraz songs.

“I really want to [skate to lyrics],” he said. “I’ve been talking with my coaches about it. I think it’s a great idea. I want to do something that’s light hearted.”

But Farris also cautioned.

“I think I need to get opinions of the officials,” he said.

From here.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

I guess I'm really new because I've never heard anyone skate to E lucevan or anything else from Tosca so far. I'm curious. - who has done so? I know Jason B skated to a Turandot medley thing a few years back....