How long does it take for skaters to prepare for the next season? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How long does it take for skaters to prepare for the next season?

FS.Addict

Rinkside
And doing a costume change halfway, on ice. :p

Broadway would be a nice compromise as the songs would generally be familiar. There could be lots of jazz standards like Sinatra, Dean Martin, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone.

And I'm inclined to not want to reward a young female skater trying to interpret, say, Rihanna's "Rude Boy". If the competitor is younger than the age of majority I would be really frightened and call child services on the coach and choreographer! :$

Listen to Rihanna's Rude Boy covered by Aston Classical you may be surprised :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
But if it's rock music I would be very happy to enjoy. Someone please skate to Linkin Park music. :love: or Imagine dragon. That would be epic.

The Kerrs skated to Linkin Park.

Belbin & Agosto skated to Tosca.

Alba

Record Breaker
But if it's rock music I would be very happy to enjoy. Someone please skate to Linkin Park music. :love: or Imagine dragon. That would be epic.

Rock it's ok, but I'm afraid would sound like gala. You need to be very careful how to use the vocals.
Unless, Yulia decide to skate using Eminem. Now that will be something to really look for. :biggrin::laugh:

Meoima

Match Penalty
The Kerrs skated to Linkin.
Yeah but...not a good performance, I mean there is no connection between their moves and music. I hope to see a top skater skate to "In The End" or "Numb". Javi maybe? He has the built of a rock star. :biggrin:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rock it's ok, but I'm afraid would sound like gala. You need to be very careful how to use the vocals.
Unless, Yulia decide to skate using Eminem. Now that will be something to really look for. :biggrin::laugh:

Someone commented about her Eminem obsession and said "what if she is learning English from his songs?" With her attitude and his choice of words one can only imagine :jaw: :rofl: with :love:!!!

Alba

Record Breaker
I guess I'm really new because I've never heard anyone skate to E lucevan or anything else from Tosca so far. I'm curious. - who has done so? I know Jason B skated to a Turandot medley thing a few years back....

Plushenko, Slutskaya, Navka&Kostomarov. Michelle Kwan, Bobrova&Soloviev, Lysacek, Yagudin, Bazarova&Larionov, Petrenko (Worlds Pro.), Melinda Wang, and I'm sure other skaters as well which I can remember now.
Others have used Tosca for exhibition programs.

Alba

Record Breaker
Someone commented about her Eminem obsession and said "what if she is learning English from his songs?" With her attitude and his choice of words one can only imagine :jaw: :rofl: with :love:!!!

:laugh:
I would love to see her skate Eminem. At least in exhibition. :biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't think we're actually going to see that many skaters doing lyrics this season. Everyone will be wary of the judges' reactions.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist

Mirai Nagasu just skated to Demons at SOI. And it was arguably the best exhibition program she's ever skated.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Thank you. What a pity she was not sent to Sochi. :frown:

I agree. I think that the whole Sochi debacle is going to motivate her over the next quad. And I think that exhibition may be the start to the second great comeback of Mirai.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Plushenko, Slutskaya, Navka&Kostomarov. Michelle Kwan, Bobrova&Soloviev, Lysacek, Yagudin, Bazarova&Larionov, Petrenko (Worlds Pro.), Melinda Wang, and I'm sure other skaters as well which I can remember now.
Others have used Tosca for exhibition programs.

Thanks to you & Doris! This confirms I am a newbie.......

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I agree. I think that the whole Sochi debacle is going to motivate her over the next quad. And I think that exhibition may be the start to the second great comeback of Mirai.

Agree. I actually have goosebumps watching that video again. 2:09 is just amazing every time knowing everything she went through. Wow. This girl.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here is video proof of how long it takes to prepare a program!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1052CQRfdw
This was shot before any GP at the beginning of the season. If you followed Yulia at all this year you can see how much this SP matured. The biggest shock for me was her 2a. Holy friggin crap!! Compare the one here to the ones she was getting at Worlds:jaw: . Outside of her growth as a skater you can see how much she matured the overall piece. Step sequence now is way faster and fluid, all the stroking and crossovers improved. I think this may help answer the thread...the program is never finished and often times isn't matured until at least GPF! Seeing someone improve not only herself but the program really makes me a bigger fan of figure skating, its not just her too. They are all doing it:popcorn:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Here is video proof of how long it takes to prepare a program!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1052CQRfdw
This was shot before any GP at the beginning of the season. If you followed Yulia at all this year you can see how much this SP matured. The biggest shock for me was her 2a. Holy friggin crap!! Compare the one here to the ones she was getting at Worlds:jaw: . Outside of her growth as a skater you can see how much she matured the overall piece. Step sequence now is way faster and fluid, all the stroking and crossovers improved. I think this may help answer the thread...the program is never finished and often times isn't matured until at least GPF! Seeing someone improve not only herself but the program really makes me a bigger fan of figure skating, its not just her too. They are all doing it:popcorn:
How lovely!!! :love: Thank you so much for the link. I hope she will maintain the current form and will only get better.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It shows how much not only a skater but a program can gain momentum. She really improved the artistic elements of the entire piece with each and every event. If I'm not mistaken that was only a week or two prior to skate Canada.