Costumes-best and worst? | Golden Skate

Costumes-best and worst?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
With no immaculate Kiira who was spotless this year there were many good ones still. I liked Caro's Sp dress it was perfect. Another fave was Julia's sp dress. Ditto Yuna, sp.

I hated several but leave that to others to see if taste is shared.

Last edited:

swc0931

Rinkside
best: Gracie Gold FS, Yuna Kim SP, Julia SP
worst: Hanyu FS...(Johney Weir), Sotnikova SP

TripleToe

Rinkside
Girls
Best: A tie between Yulia Lipnitskaya LP (I really love the whole Schindler's List "Girl in red" costume) and Gracie Gold SP.
Kaetlyn Osmond LP is pretty too and Yuna's LP
Worst: Adelina LP is a BIG NO in my book! her SP is not pretty either!

Boys
Boys: Jeremy Abbott SP, Hanyu SP and Patrick SP (I like simple on boys, less is more)
Worst: Poor Hanyu but her LP's costume is a mess.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
I enjoy threads that encourage anonymous people to assert their opinions on purely subjective matters.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^Oh, please do pull that stick out of your behind.

Half of skating is subjective, yet here we all are asserting our opinions.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Worst: Yakov Godorozha's pajama jeans, Javier Fernandez's Beetlejuice costume, Kevin Reynolds (not-even-trying in the SP or the :confused: LP look...at least Yuzuru's was interesting)
Best: V/T's Masquerade Waltz costumes, I/K's costumes for both programs, Mao & Akiko's LP dresses. In general, I think the Team Japan ladies always dress fabulously.

nimi

Medalist
I enjoy threads that encourage anonymous people to assert their opinions on purely subjective matters.

...especially when it's fashion-related.

Best: Anna C. SD, Vera B. SP, Akiko... Quite a few actually.

Worst: Too many to choose from. :no:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Best: Daisuke Takahashi, Akiko Suzuki, Julia Lipniskaya, Machida (short), Kovtun (extreme simplicity suits him) Radionova's Zombie costume (she has personality flair, so her costume should reflect that)
I enjoy simple costumes and super 'out there' costumes as long as they seem to fit the skater and the music. My personal pet peeve in costumes is animal print, but thankfully there wasn't much of that this year.

Hmmm: I can't call it 'worst' because it's not that the costumes are horrible, but there were things that bugged me about the costumes...so... Kevin Reynolds LP. The blue fabric that crossed his front diagonally fell in a way that made him look like his stomach was sticking out! And he's so thin so that shouldn't happen. I love his music and his program though. It's too bad he wasn't able to skate it to its potential this year.
Carolina's EX costume for the Olympics had a nude colored underwear...It just looked very odd to me.
All black, see-through lace for Sergei Vornov's shirt seems a bit much. I'm not a fan of too much see-through lace for men or women.

I noticed Hanyu's costume get's a lot of bad reviews but think that it matches his body type and skating style. Also, when looking at pictures, it photographs very well.

This is all subjective. Let's not forget that. I hope we continue to see a wide variety in skating costumes...even animal print which I abhor... it makes for such interesting threads.

Meoima

Match Penalty
It's ironic that Hanyu is nominated for best costume thanks to his SP and worst costume thanks to his LP. :popcorn: it's like you win an Oscar and a Raspberry at the same time. Maybe that's the price for triple crowns.:biggrin:

As for the ladies: Julia's red dress in LP is my favorite. With SP, obviously it's Gracie Gold. Another red dress.:) she looks stunning in that dress.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
^Oh, please do pull that stick out of your behind.

Half of skating is subjective, yet here we all are asserting our opinions.

Your ability for turns of phrase that are homophobic and to diminish the very subject matter on which you (I assume) came here to comment on is impressive.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
It's ironic that Hanyu is nominated for best costume thanks to his SP and worst costume thanks to his LP. :popcorn: it's like you win an Oscar and a Raspberry at the same time. Maybe that's the price for triple crowns.:biggrin:

I'm probably the only one that prefers his LP costume. I wouldn't mind the shirt and trousers look, but the fabric & print of the shirt looks kind of cheap and dated to me, like a 70s polyester shirt. I think I have a soft spot for the blinged-out LP look because Yuzu had it made to his specifications. It's like a 19-year-old's vision of glitz and glamour :laugh: Yes, it could have done with one or two fewer elements, but it suits his style.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Because as we all know, the purpose of figure skating forums is to encourage objective discussion between learned, easily identifiable experts.

Best: Marchei's costumes; Lipnitskaya's FS costume was suitable, distinctive and memorable; Hurtado/Diaz's FD costumes were interesting and fit their program really well; Cappellini/Lanotte's SD costumes were the cutest. Akiko Suzuki is always well-dressed and I was partial to Mao Asada's dramatic and unusual FS dress.

best: Gracie Gold FS
I thought Gracie's styling this year was awful, and that her FS dress - which I am sure was expensive - somehow managed to look cheap and ill-fitting, especially in the back. Also, the bun needed to be lower and the red lipstick didn't suit her at all. Basically, I think Gracie can be much more interesting than the princess persona Carroll is trying to foist on her.

But there were far worse costumes this past season than her's.

Duality

On the Ice
I like Ashley Wagner lp, Yuzuru Hanyu sp, Mao Asada lp, Carolina Kostner sp, Yulia lp, Anna Pogorilaya both programs, Javier lp.

The worst are Meryl Davis sp, Hanyu lp, Pfeifer sp, Aaron lp.

roxella

On the Ice
My favorites:

I just love Akiko's LP dress https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjsDhCQhy_0

Also So Youn Park LP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jzPxN68vrU

Yuna's both SP and LP, although I must say I prefer this dress rather than the one she used at the Olympics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-LuRoxUhQw

Yuzu's SP costume - blue fits him very well :)

I didn't like that much Javi's costumes,though :slink: And also I am not a fan of that nude dress that Carolina Kostner used for the Olympics EX- that was a really weird dress :eek:hwell:

aschiutza

On the Ice
Did any costume beat in uglyness the yellow Kulik? If not, dear skaters, please work harder next season!