Figure Skating On Ice Rinks In Shopping Centres | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Figure Skating On Ice Rinks In Shopping Centres

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I believe Harding trained at a mall rink in Portland for a while?
(Not the best example, but it's off the top of my head.)

I would think it would be difficult to train and run programs with the public looking on.

I believe she trained in Clackamas Town Center mall, which is where the shootings occurred a couple years back. There used to be an ice rink there, which has since closed. (I remember this because my son was in that area of Oregon when the shootings occurred, so I was following the news closely, and Tonya was mentioned on the coverage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clackamas_Town_Center

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Actually Tonya trained at the rink at the Lloyd Center in central Portland. The rink is still there.

http://www.lloydcenterice.com/

In the 30 For 30 documentary, I think she said people used to throw things at her when she was training, after the Nancy incident.

skatezilla

Spectator
In the 30 for 30 documentary, the rink Tonya is shown skating at is the (now closed) rink at Clackamas Town Center. She also trained at the Lloyd Center rink, where her coaches still coach.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But, I don't think it would be a good idea to be skating on a small rink ALL the time. You wouldn't get the spatial awareness that you would need when you come to compete on a full-size rink.

Spatial awareness would be less of a problem than layout and stamina, I would think.

Trust me, any time I set blade on a proper-sized rink, my legs and my lungs feel the burn.

Victura

On the Ice
I believe Tara Lipinski skated a bit at the Galleria in Houston. At least that's what was advertised after she won Olympic gold, though I don't think she spent too much time training/skating in Houston in general.

concorde

Medalist
There is a beautiful ice complex in Arlington, VA (just outside of Washington DC) that is located ABOVE a shopping mall. Retail stores are located on the bottom 3 stories and the actual rinks are located on the top floor. The facility (two rinks - one Olympic and one NHL)has not produced a big figure skating name but it is the training complex for the pro hockey team (Washington Capitols) trains.