Looking back on the careers of Yu Na Kim and Michelle Kwan | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Looking back on the careers of Yu Na Kim and Michelle Kwan

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I think pandongfan is laughing silly out there somewhere reading this thread. He lit the match... and is now enjoying watching it burn. Offseason blues....

CarneAsada

Medalist
It amuses me how even the biggest Yuna fans in this thread are falling over themselves trying to be politically correct because pangtongfan invoked the name of Michelle Kwan, the English-language skating forum holy-of-holies. Normally many of them feel no such inhibitions about trumpeting her superiority or talking about how inferior all other skaters are to Yuna, the unquestionable greatest skater of all time.

But I feel no such inhibitions! Let's start with their Scheherazades. I can safely say that I enjoyed Yuna's Scheherazade far more than Michelle's though my perception may be colored by the only Michelle Scheherazade I saw being the one where she blew her all-but-guaranteed OGM. Yuna had better spins, equally good if not better footwork, and far better toe jumps. Their edge jumps are about the same in quality if you consider Yuna's vastly superior Axel and Salchow canceling out the nonexistent Loop. And even then her 3Loop was better than Michelle's when she could still land it, so perhaps I could still say that Yuna's edge jumps were also vastly superior. Vastly tougher competition? Michelle's only threats in her career if she went clean were Tara Lipinski (for all of 2 seasons) and Irina Slutskaya (who was hugely inconsistent), along with maybe Shizuka Arakawa or Sasha Cohen in the last bit of her career. Yuna had the luck to be facing Mao Asada (who despite having all the talent and all the goods in the world only skated a clean competition about once per transit of Venus; what do we have, 2009 WTT and 2010 Worlds? That fits with the transit of Venus being twice in 8 years with a 100+ year wait) and Carolina Kostner (whose one-time clean competition failed to beat her anyway because of Kostner being physically incapable of repeating 3Flips). I guess if beating a two-fall Yuna with an invalidated combination counts as being competition, you could count Miki Ando, and if you count "losing" to Adelina Sotnikova, you could count her too (though of course I count neither). Again, not a clear advantage for Kwan.

Hi guys. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one of the greatest reasons as to why Yuna gets so much fame and support is her underdog story. For those of you who really know Yuna and her skating career, you understand that there ups and downs, but more downs than ups. Her skating career takes you all the way back when Korea was just a developing country, and she is the first to come out of her country to become the best in the world when no other figure skaters before her have done so from Korea. If you really watch her skating and learn about her life, you would understand that there are a lot of political games played and the sport itself does not back her up. First, it was the rival story of Japan v.s. Korea which allowed the audience to be interested, and root for their countries. When things were clear that Yuna is the ultimate champion, people got to understand the beauty of Yuna when she skates on the ice. Don't forget she holds the world title. That's something to say about her.
Yes!! We must remember that Yuna was born in an impoverished, developing country where babies were shipped off by the millions to be adopted abroad!! In Korea after WWII, they were too poor to even eat white rice!! They had to eat unprocessed brown rice!! She learned to skate on frozen ponds because the nation was too poor for skating rinks back then! Then for much of her career, she had to skate in a shopping mall because that was where the only FS rink in Korea was. When Yuna started achieving success, she had to deal with 3/4 of the skating world uniting against her: the sneakily scheming Japanese, the brute-force politicking Russians, and the Americans, still powerful even in the death throes of their skating history. She even had to endure a grassroots campaign against her run entirely on YouTube! It was only by the great Canadian Brian Orser offering her protection that she was able to withstand the onslaught. Hers is truly a rags to riches story, the story of a modern-day Crusader vanquishing the infidels. Yuna singlehandedly caused the Miracle on the Han River, where South Korea went from a tiny oppressed backwater nation to the 11th biggest economy in the world. She personally founded Samsung and LG, and she was responsible for the vast improvement of Hyundai and Kia in the last 10 years. Compare this to Kwan, whose family could always afford any kind of rice, who did not push her nation's economy up in the rankings, and who didn't have to learn to skate on frozen ponds.

Sg328

Spectator
It amuses me how even the biggest Yuna fans in this thread are falling over themselves trying to be politically correct because pangtongfan invoked the name of Michelle Kwan, the English-language skating forum holy-of-holies. Normally many of them feel no such inhibitions about trumpeting her superiority or talking about how inferior all other skaters are to Yuna, the unquestionable greatest skater of all time.

But I feel no such inhibitions! Let's start with their Scheherazades. I can safely say that I enjoyed Yuna's Scheherazade far more than Michelle's though my perception may be colored by the only Michelle Scheherazade I saw being the one where she blew her all-but-guaranteed OGM. Yuna had better spins, equally good if not better footwork, and far better toe jumps. Their edge jumps are about the same in quality if you consider Yuna's vastly superior Axel and Salchow canceling out the nonexistent Loop. And even then her 3Loop was better than Michelle's when she could still land it, so perhaps I could still say that Yuna's edge jumps were also vastly superior. Vastly tougher competition? Michelle's only threats in her career if she went clean were Tara Lipinski (for all of 2 seasons) and Irina Slutskaya (who was hugely inconsistent), along with maybe Shizuka Arakawa or Sasha Cohen in the last bit of her career. Yuna had the luck to be facing Mao Asada (who despite having all the talent and all the goods in the world only skated a clean competition about once per transit of Venus; what do we have, 2009 WTT and 2010 Worlds? That fits with the transit of Venus being twice in 8 years with a 100+ year wait) and Carolina Kostner (whose one-time clean competition failed to beat her anyway because of Kostner being physically incapable of repeating 3Flips). I guess if beating a two-fall Yuna with an invalidated combination counts as being competition, you could count Miki Ando, and if you count "losing" to Adelina Sotnikova, you could count her too (though of course I count neither). Again, not a clear advantage for Kwan.

Yes!! We must remember that Yuna was born in an impoverished, developing country where babies were shipped off by the millions to be adopted abroad!! In Korea after WWII, they were too poor to even eat white rice!! They had to eat unprocessed brown rice!! She learned to skate on frozen ponds because the nation was too poor for skating rinks back then! Then for much of her career, she had to skate in a shopping mall because that was where the only FS rink in Korea was. When Yuna started achieving success, she had to deal with 3/4 of the skating world uniting against her: the sneakily scheming Japanese, the brute-force politicking Russians, and the Americans, still powerful even in the death throes of their skating history. She even had to endure a grassroots campaign against her run entirely on YouTube! It was only by the great Canadian Brian Orser offering her protection that she was able to withstand the onslaught. Hers is truly a rags to riches story, the story of a modern-day Crusader vanquishing the infidels. Yuna singlehandedly caused the Miracle on the Han River, where South Korea went from a tiny oppressed backwater nation to the 11th biggest economy in the world. She personally founded Samsung and LG, and she was responsible for the vast improvement of Hyundai and Kia in the last 10 years. Compare this to Kwan, whose family could always afford any kind of rice, who did not push her nation's economy up in the rankings, and who didn't have to learn to skate on frozen ponds.

Yuna is not like 60 yrs or something. She was born in 1990 and Korea was already developed by then. RICE??? Are you kidding me?
Samsung, LG, Kia??? Yeah, she saved the world. Lol

lbc2138

On the Ice
Yiiikes, who would have the sense to start this forum? I guess you must be a bit sadistic in seeing everyone fight on this issue seeing that it's almost impossible to resolve -_-

Regardless of their medals, they're both extremely accomplished and the figure skating community adores them. There is always new talent that reigns over a certain generation. Older fans will know of Michelle and will always keep her close to their hearts continually when watching new stars. Someone like me, who saw Michelle when at an early age and seeing Yuna look up to her and skate the way she does, I will keep Yuna close to my own preferences even as I watch the new and upcoming skaters.

The community has constantly recognized both skaters. Michelle in her own right, and literally everyone calling Yuna "Queen." To say that Yuna is not in the same league is not fair because she is in a way different league. She's skated under the slightly older and new system while Michelle skated under the 6 points system. Michelle carried the US into history and Yuna has done something that has never happened in her country ever.

It's fine to discuss their individual careers, but do not undermine what Yuna has accomplished and what it took for her to get there and then comparing her to one of the most well-known skaters of all time.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
What is the point of this thread other than to troll? :laugh:

First you whine at every opportunity that Sotnikova was overscored and Kim deserved the gold, and now you're conceding that because Kim "couldn't even beat" an overscored Sotnikova, that somehow gives her "only" one Olympic gold and puts her out of Kwan's league? :unsure:

Technically speaking, Kim has landed 3F+3T, 3Z+3T, 2A+3T which Kwan was never capable of doing except for the occasional 3T+3T. Kwan also had a flutz and was prone to URs, whereas Kim has perfect technique and unquestionable rotation. Her spins were actually better than Kwan in that they had more rotations and positions (although for pre-CoP, Kwan's spins were wonderful, and her basic positions - when held - are better than Kim's). Kim's footwork, under CoP, is much more complex than Kwan's, and while it may not have had Kwan's speed on the footwork, it was because of the complexity of turns compared to Kwan's quick relatively simple steps (again, it was pre-CoP so footwork complexity wasn't necessary). Kim didn't possess Kwan's artistry, but there is arguably no female skater who has ever had Kwan's level of artistry. Also, Kim never finished off the podium in her entire senior career.

Kim also raised the profile of skating in her own country where skating wasn't even popular, and much more than Kwan raised the profile of US skating. To be a skater from South Korea and win an Olympic gold medal is a HUGE deal, especially with the pressure and expectations on Kim (as not just the only significant ladies skater but the only significant South Korean skater)... far greater than the pressure that was shared between Kwan and her American teammates.

Don't even attempt to trivialize Kim with your trolling, as you will get absolutely nowhere. :rolleye:

nimi

Medalist
Yuna is not like 60 yrs or something. She was born in 1990 and Korea was already developed by then. RICE??? Are you kidding me?
Samsung, LG, Kia??? Yeah, she saved the world. Lol
um... you realize the poster wasn't entirely serious, right?

:rofl: Thank you.

But there must be a fallacy that applies to pangtongfan's main thesis, too, right? As I understand ptf's argument, it goes like this. If the judging at Sochi had been fair, Yuna Kim would be a great skater. As it is, she's no where near as good as Michelle Kwan who was actually outskated in her two Olympic losses.

(Signed) A true Scotsman ;)

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think pandongfan is laughing silly out there somewhere reading this thread. He lit the match... and is now enjoying watching it burn. Offseason blues....
Sounds reasonable to me. It's off season, people have little else to do. :biggrin:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I am astonished that you are taking this position. Midori Ito won only one world/Olympic championship; Janet Lynn none. I guess they were not in the same league as Gabriella Seyfert and Miki Ando, with two, not to mention Anett Poetzsch with three.

Ito and Lynn are unique as they didnt win alot more titles only due to the scoring system of the time. Of course greater impact on the sport or flat out better skating can overcome a lesser medal count. As Kim has none of those things on Kwan, it is moot.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If it was 6.0, Vancouver would have gone completely different than it did. Asada wouldn't have been forced to do 3 Triple Axels because she would have been able to do 2 Lutzes instead. There were no edge calls there and top skaters were almost never penalized for Flutz (ask Yamaguchi) unless they were both from the same country and the judges wanted a reason to rank one over the other. This actually still happens in IJS, and is why the scores and protocols from National championships are usually not reliable. A lot of coaches from the 6.0 era have been interviewed and pretty much said "who cares if the Lutz is off an outside or inside edge?!" That was status quo back then...

Asada would still for sure have been doing her 3axels under 6.0. She couldnt even hope to beat Kim in 2010 under either 6.0 or COP without them. Her jumps were weaker quality, especialy around then, she wasnt even doing all the other triples, and the judges preferred Kim's presentation around then too. The one big difference is her 3axels would have been way more rewarded under 6.0 than the often silly IJS. However if she still made 2 mistakes on easier jumps in her LP, it wouldnt matter.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
:rofl: Thank you.

But there must be a fallacy that applies to pangtongfan's main thesis, too, right? As I understand ptf's argument, it goes like this. If the judging at Sochi had been fair, Yuna Kim would be a great skater. As it is, she's no where near as good as Michelle Kwan who was actually outskated in her two Olympic losses.

(Signed) A true Scotsman ;)

In 1998, Kwan was clean but outjumped by Lipinski. In 2002, Kwan made errors and through bad luck was surpassed by Hughes (who, even with URs, was still the best that night).

And yeah, if the judging had been fair, Kim would have two golds. But if we disregard Kwan and Kim's silvers when they lost to skaters who did well, then you have to consider their other Olympics where Kim skated perfectly to win gold and Kwan faltered to get the bronze. On their second times around, Kim managed to maintain the level of consistency (and she already had a gold to begin with), but Kwan didn't rise to claim the gold that was totally hers to lose, and that's also notable when comparing the two.

sk8in

Match Penalty
Yeah, probably the major distinction for Kwan is that she competed more, won more titles, but also decreased in prowess over time. Kim competed selectively, won less, but maintained her peak abilities more or less from start to finish. The thing about Yuna too of course is that she had the identical two jumping passes for most of her skates: lutz-toe loop, then flip---or flip-toe loop, then lutz. I think because the IJS system awards these technical elements no matter what, there was probably less pressure on her to 'reinvent' herself every season, the way skaters had to under 6.0 system.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Yu Na Kim was about 70% the skater in Sochi she was in Vancouver at best. That she lost to someone of Sotnikova's caliber (controversial judging aside) already speaks to that. The Kim of Vancouver would wipe her *** with a mediocrity like Sotnikova. So saying she mantained her peak level through her career is pure fantasy. Kwan meanwhile only saw her peak level decline through serious injury to her hip. Up until then- 2001, she went from strength to strength, only getting even more unspeakably incredible both technically and artistically. Even after her hip problems her artistry continued to hit new heights until 2004. This is unlike Kim whose health improved over the years, yet her skating still got significantly weaker from age 19 onwards, in part due to her lazy approach to competing which more befits a retired skater.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh gawd.. this is exactly the kind of thread that makes figure skating fans look catty and immature.

As far as I'm concerned, Michelle and Yuna are both legends in their own right. They have both worked incredibly hard to achieve what they have, and with all the rule changes in the sport from when Michelle was competing till now, I think it's too difficult to make comparisons, especially sweeping ones like the person that started this thread.

Agreed. TBH I'm now kind of annoyed w/ myself for responding to it. If they're not going to close the thread, though, I'm glad at least the title was changed.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This is unlike Kim whose health improved over the years, yet her skating still got significantly weaker from age 19 onwards, in part due to her lazy approach to competing which more befits a retired skater.

LAZY approach?! Yes, because maintaining the ability to execute a 3Z+3T and skate clean competitions is so lazy of her. :laugh:

pointyourtoe

On the Ice

Of course. I don't think he actually believes for one second what he wrote in the first post. He just loves to watch Kwan and Kim fans squirm. This is like a once a month topic on skating forums :hb: