Prediction for your favorite skaters next season | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Prediction for your favorite skaters next season

YLFan

Match Penalty
I will give an example of Yulia's power. Me.

Prior to discovering her last fall I didn't follow figure skating at all. I could have cared less about it. Because of her I follow it closely and led to discovering other talents like Proklova that will keep me interested for years.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What's the point in saying one is better. Just because Josh had a great SL doesn't diminish Yulia's in any way shape or form. At the same time just because one was far more successful doesn't necessarily make it better either. I can tell you that even you will remember Yulia's SL ten years from now as will countless others. I'm not so sure comparing two different styled skaters even makes sense. While Josh is more artistic Yulia is a program skater focused on her tech delivery more. I thought Yulia's was far more exciting while Josh's was more emotional.

Lets not forget this program was likely the main reason for Yulia's rise to the top ranks and helped her earn an Olympic birth when she was not supposed to be at the time of its design. In Russia many called her an "unexpected child". That isn't the case anymore largely due to her SL.

slider11

Medalist
I enjoyed that video clip - Joshua did a great job and I am intrigued to see him in the coming year. But I must agree that Yulia's skating was fabulous and she captured Schindler's list in a special way. Her red coat costume is a small part of that but, as we know, artistry is a package. Yulia had a great package for that piece of music throughout the year.

On another note, my predictions were focused on American skaters who I look forward to seeing this coming year. I must add an international twist with also looking forward to Weaver and Poje from Canada and Javier Fernandez from Spain. I am totally open in pairs.

flutzy13

On the Ice
If Hubbel & Donohue fall back to 4th or 5th even with Davis & White now gone, I wonder if that will be it for them. I hope not as I love them. I hope they can somehow pass the Shibutanis next year and stay ahead of the up and comers.

I like them too but I'll be floored if they pass the Shibs and surprised if they can hold off their training mates Hawayek and Baker. I don't see 2 Krylova teams going to Worlds.

gotoschool

Medalist
Yes for Mao and a boyfriend, but knowing Mao I think if she had one we will never know. She is so private

I think Mao is oh sooo private that this is a prediction that may have already come true. But, that's what gives her such an air of mystery that captivates so many.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^Probably too optimistic, but I hope you're right.

Regarding the Battle of the Schindler's Lists: One person may prefer Yulia's. Another may prefer Joshua's. Neither is wrong. ;) Me? I found Yulia's more emotionally powerful, but there are definitely aspects of Joshua's that I prefer--for instance, his movements are more finished and less (CoP-style) rushed.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think Mao is oh sooo private that this is a prediction that may have already come true. But, that's what gives her such an air of mystery that captivates so many.
Can I hope for Dai and Mao to become a couple? :love:
Nah, as long as they find happiness on their own, it's fine. Still...

papa

Match Penalty
I can tell you that even you will remember Yulia's SL ten years from now as will countless others.
I bet 20 years from now, karne will be weeping in front of youtube, rewatching Yulia's Schindler's List again and again and whispering through tears: "God, she was so good for a deaf girl!" :laugh::laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I bet 20 years from now, karne will be weeping in front of youtube, rewatching Yulia's Schindler's List again and again and whispering through tears: "God, she was so good for a deaf girl!" :laugh::laugh:

This isn't the crazy prediction thread. :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Excuse me, but I would appreciate it if you please don't put offensive words in my mouth. I said she didn't hear the music. I never said she was deaf. That is very offensive.

My best friend is about 80% deaf and is one of the best musicians in my city. She plays the piano, violin, trumpet, french horn, and dozens of other instruments I could only dream of. She can hear music with the best of them, even if she doesn't always hear what I'm saying.

papa

Match Penalty
You could put any music on behind Yulia and she would react the same way.
Yulia Lipnitskaya can't hear or feel the music either and people seem to love her, but I'd still rather watch Gracie.

These are clinical descriptions of deaf person, they look like copied straight from laryngologist's notes.
Quite demeaning and disrespectful things to write about perfectly healthy, aspiring young girl athlete.

And the difference between us is that I have only the most deep and honest respect for your friend and her achievements, in contrast to your contempt and lack of respect towards Yulia.
More than that, I don't think I've ever witnessed single fan of Yulia on this forum being disrespectful towards any other skater (including Gracie). Sadly it doesn't work the other way around. :scowl:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
These are clinical descriptions of deaf person, they look like copied straight from laryngologist's notes.
Quite demeaning and disrespectful things to write about perfectly healthy, aspiring young girl athlete.

Not at all. They are the description of someone who cannot hear music. Quite a different thing to being deaf.

Newsflash: Yulia is not the best skater in the world, she is not the best skater of all time. And I've no idea where you decide that Yuliatrons are all saints, because they are certainly not.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well not really. Mao didnt retire so officially she is #2. Still a lofty achievement though:yes: she is however the #1 seed on GP series.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Of the ones most likely to compete next year, Julia is the best of them - at this point. Mainly due to being arguably the most likely to give a good performance (although Radionova might give her a run in the consistency department), and having nice spins and pretty good artistry (though not the best of the field, IMO).

But is she the best skater in the world right now? Heck no. Kim and Asada have her easily beat in that department. Kostner too, if she skates to her potential, like in Sochi.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One thing I noticed over the "summer" ice shows she did was that she slowed down a lot and held things out much better. Maybe she was just a tired 15 yr old after a grueling season but to me it seemed like her jumps look a lot better. I hope Yagudin was teaching her some jump techniques or something because she seemed to gain strength in that department. If nothing else she is showing more control. Here is a video from her Moscow performance. See for yourself if you like :yes: The jumps by the piano made me nervous.

http://youtu.be/1pzKMX48JU0

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Even more comical when they are coming from a renowned Sotnikova fanatic of all people. Compared to Adelina, Julia looks like Kwan in musicality and interpretation.