I'm just curious. Where are you from? | Page 14 | Golden Skate

I'm just curious. Where are you from?

gabriele

On the Ice
Now Adelaide, South Australia, but originally from Germany, Bavarian Alps. Not seen a real snowflake in 20 years here. Can you imagine the withdrawal symptoms? So when the Olympics come around and it's 40+ C heat, I am glued to the screen like an addict. Great to see Aussies represented strongly here, oi, oi, oi.

aa456

On the Ice
Brooklyn, NY! Originally from south asia. sadly, most people probably don't know what is figure skating over there.

grnidgrl

Spectator
USA, Washington, the state, wet side :) Hooked on skating since 1976 and Dorothy Hamill. Lucky to have had the opportunity to attend many skating events around here - SA in Spokane, Everett, Kent, SC in Victoria, BC, World's in Vancouver. Always looking for an opportunity :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Now Adelaide, South Australia, but originally from Germany, Bavarian Alps. Not seen a real snowflake in 20 years here. Can you imagine the withdrawal symptoms? So when the Olympics come around and it's 40+ C heat, I am glued to the screen like an addict. Great to see Aussies represented strongly here, oi, oi, oi.

Living in the wrong part of Australia then! I get snow occasionally. Went to the footy once in the snow. There were 700 people there and the ground announcer was just like, "We don't care what ticket you bought, come into the stands and get warm, people."

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I am from British Columbia, Canada - actually a Vancouver girl - yes, where the 2010 Olympic Games were held. Although these days I live in a smaller community outside of Vancouver. I think Figure Skating is still "alive and well" here in Canada. It's true hockey does get a lot of attention, and every kid in the neighbourhood knows who Wayne Gretzky is. We have ice rinks galore here and just about everyone takes up skating in one form or another. Some just like to learn to skate while others dream of becoming top notch figure skaters. I don't think our love of figure skating has dwindled, people still watch competitive skating and go to Stars on Ice. It is an expensive sport, but people still head to the rink for recreation.

Jeff_Kenya

Spectator
I'm originally from Russia, now living in Germany. No need to say a word about figure skating in Russia :)
In Germany the situation is really depressing: no shows, no coaches, no athletes (since S/S split), no interest... Really, really sad.

Violetti

On the Ice
I am from Finland. Every kid learns how to skate here. Many or most even before school. There are outdoor skating rinks or ice for skating near every school during winter. There are figure skating clubs in many cities. So it is easy to practice figure skating. Girls do that but not many boys. They play ice hockey. I loved watching figure skating in TV as a child. They only showed main competitions and only LPs back in the '70s and '80s. Now you can see all. Now all events can be seen live via Internet. They show even gp in TV (not all performances, only best). I watched Russian nationals since 2012 via Internet and then already I though Radionova was really good and that was the first time I saw her. If I remember right she was 4th then.