I'm just curious. Where are you from? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

I'm just curious. Where are you from?

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Toronto, GTA.
There are many indoor rinks, but some close during summer, and the rinks open during summer are mostly occupied by hokey. Actually I feel that here FS is like Cinderella, as hockey is the big boss.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Newtown, Pennsylvania, hometown of Nate Bartholomay! His mother has a bakery and made my wedding cake.

Despite that, FS is marginally popular, usually around the Olympics. We are a suburb of Philadelphia, and the Phillies, Flyers, Eagles (but not the Sixers anymore) are *way* more popular.

Love seeing the international flavor here!

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Detroit, Michigan! Actually from around the same neighborhood as Meryl and Charlie.

It's very cool being so close to so many of the big names in skating right now, from coaches to the skaters themselves. The public isn't very aware of what great skating we are home to, though, but they do get very excited during the Olympic season. Ann Arbor, home to the Shibs, and the Bloomfield/Birmingham area, home to D/W, were buzzing about them!

I had to miss Skate Detroit last year as I was out of town, but I'm hoping we'll have another big competition soon!

Detroit, Michigan! Actually from around the same neighborhood as Meryl and Charlie.

It's very cool being so close to so many of the big names in skating right now, from coaches to the skaters themselves. The public isn't very aware of what great skating we are home to, though, but they do get very excited during the Olympic season. Ann Arbor, home to the Shibs, and the Bloomfield/Birmingham area, home to D/W, were buzzing about them!

I had to miss Skate Detroit last year as I was out of town, but I'm hoping we'll have another big competition soon!

Fleeting - That is soooooo exciting!!! :) And yes, there is a lot of skating action up in MI

Franklin99

Medalist
New York City born in Brooklyn reared in Manhattan with a few years in southern California. Have also lived in Japan (Hiroshima Ken) and Barcelona Spain. In NYC there are several rinks. People ice skate but few figure skate. I am the only fan I know though a few friends watched the Olympics. I am tuning out on FSing for awhile (the judging is nuts). I am a huge tennis fan (go Rafa and Serena) and into track and field. Baseball too to some extent. METS yeah but they stink like a sewer.

Brooklyn in the house!! :party2: You and I share more than where we were born. While you've lived in Japan, I want to visit so bad. Track and field is definitely a favorite of mine, and Serena and Rafa are also my favorite tennis players. But while I love to play baseball, I can't sit and watch a game to save my life. :no: It is one of the most boring sports to watch. Heck, I'd watch golf before watching anything baseball.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania! Instead of figure skating we have Pittsburgh Steelers and Penguins.

:yay: Well, hot dang, Melon! I've lived in New York City for many years now but grew up in Pittsburgh. Still have family there and often visit them for the holidays. They're mostly screaming maniac Steelers fans but we have a couple of hockey lovers, too.

At my old job there were several of us who loved skating and used to yak about it a lot, mostly Jan-March (US Nats-- Worlds, and the Olys of course). I've lost touch with them and miss the skating talk, which is why GS is so much fun for me.

It's amazing to see the diversity on this thread. All the best to everyone!

Pasdedeux

Rinkside
It is a very interesting thread. I have been skating all my life, but only discovered figure skating forums recently. After mostly lurking for quite a while both here and on FSU, I got the impression that FSU is much more Europe centered, whereas Goldenskate is more North American and Asian. It appears I am right, at least about Goldenskate :)

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area in California. It is a great place for figure skating. I skate at Sharks Ice, a practice facility for San Jose Sharks, our local hockey team. The facility is well run, with four rinks, and hosts hockey, figure skating and curling. Some other people who skate here are Serguei Ponomarenko and Rudy Galindo who both coach, Peggy Fleming (every now and then), Polina Edmunds, Karen Chen, Rachael Flatt (until recently), and probably others I can't remember at the moment :) Two prominent skate boot makers, S.P. Teri and Harlick, are also in the area. I am lucky.

louisa05

Final Flight
I was born in Ohio, but we moved to Nebraska when I was two. I live near Omaha.

Skating is growing in popularity here. The small town I lived in until five years ago got a rink attached to their YMCA. And Lincoln is making plans to build a new ice center that will provide more ice time for both figure skating and hockey in the region.

Growing up in more rural parts of the state, though, I was never able to even try skating until well into adulthood.

cjuarez

Rinkside
Im from mexico city as well, fs not popular but at least this year 2 new ice rinks have opened....

kresslia

Medalist
Toronto, Canada, land of hockey. :p

But we like figure skating too. Notably our male figure skaters.

alebi

Medalist
Where are you from and How many ppl enjoying FS in your country?

LOL you asked but didn't answer to your question :p

I'm from my beautiful Italy :) (am I only the 3rd here?) and here the main sport is soccer, the second one is to insult soccer players, the third is to discuss if a goal was regular or not and the fourth is to speculate about where a player'll be next season...... so, no FS isn't a popular sport here :scowl:

Rubirosa

Match Penalty
After mostly lurking for quite a while both here and on FSU, I got the impression that FSU is much more Europe centered, whereas Goldenskate is more North American and Asian. It appears I am right, at least about Goldenskate :)
You are. I registered at FSU too on the same day as here on GS. But two days later I got a letter of apology from them with "your registration at FSUniverse did not meet our membership requirements. Sorry." No other explanations given. Maybe they want to stay Europe centered. Why else they wouldn't validate an Asian account and apologize for that. I don't mind. It's their problem. I wish they would inform people upon registration about those mysterious "requirments." I wouldn't bother in the first place.

Me? Hyogo. I said it already somewhere.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I was born and raised in Ontario, Canada and did all of my post-secondary schooling there, but I am now living in Alberta. We have snow again here too, as of this evening! :scowl:

justastro

Rinkside
I split my time between Hong Kong and the UK. Unfortunately, figure skating is pretty hopeless in either place, but at least Britain has a couple of international level skaters and decent television coverage.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
LOL you asked but didn't answer to your question :p

I'm from my beautiful Italy :) (am I only the 3rd here?) and here the main sport is soccer, the second one is to insult soccer players, the third is to discuss if a goal was regular or not and the fourth is to speculate about where a player'll be next season...... so, no FS isn't a popular sport here :scowl:

That's funny coz one of Australia's national sports is to pick over the old sore of the diving Italians and a certain World Cup round-of-16 result... ;) :p

Jombi

On the Ice
However, FS does have a very good tv coverage. Rai Sport (Public Television) cover WC, Euro and GP. Eurosport WC and Euro, Sky Sport Olympics.

Good coverage but bad, BAD commentary (at least Rai). :)

Anyway, Italy - Verona