I'm just curious. Where are you from? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

I'm just curious. Where are you from?

alebi

Medalist
Good coverage but bad, BAD commentary (at least Rai). :)

Anyway, Italy - Verona

WOW we are few on this forum but live very near to each other :eek:

That's funny coz one of Australia's national sports is to pick over the old sore of the diving Italians and a certain World Cup round-of-16 result...

I completely forgot the VERY FIRST and MOST IMPORTANT sport in Italy.... complain about results!! :laugh: :laugh: good/bad results doesn't matter, there's always something that didn't go as it was supposed to :laugh:

Alba

Record Breaker
Good coverage but bad, BAD commentary (at least Rai). :)

Anyway, Italy - Verona

Rai is horrible. I watch them only when there is no FS on Eurosport, like GPF.

I'm from my beautiful Italy :) (am I only the 3rd here?) and here the main sport is soccer, the second one is to insult soccer players, the third is to discuss if a goal was regular or not and the fourth is to speculate about where a player'll be next season...... so, no FS isn't a popular sport here

I completely forgot the VERY FIRST and MOST IMPORTANT sport in Italy.... complain about results!! :laugh: :laugh: good/bad results doesn't matter, there's always something that didn't go as it was supposed to

So true. :laugh:

Alba

Record Breaker
You are. I registered at FSU too on the same day as here on GS. But two days later I got a letter of apology from them with "your registration at FSUniverse did not meet our membership requirements. Sorry." No other explanations given. Maybe they want to stay Europe centered. Why else they wouldn't validate an Asian account and apologize for that. I don't mind. It's their problem. I wish they would inform people upon registration about those mysterious "requirments." I wouldn't bother in the first place.

I don't think that's the reason. I got the same reply myself.

That's funny coz one of Australia's national sports is to pick over the old sore of the diving Italians and a certain World Cup round-of-16 result... ;) :p

Oh but we had our share in South Korea in 2002, don't worry. ;):p

BlackPack

Medalist
I don't think that's the reason. I got the same reply myself.

I don't think that's the case. It's usually because bots and fake accounts were registered from certain countries in a high frequency.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Australia was slightly preoccupied with speed skating in 2002 ;) :p

OT: but I just had a sad moment that there are Aussie kids getting around with no idea who Steve Bradbury even is. :cry:

nimi

Medalist
I completely forgot the VERY FIRST and MOST IMPORTANT sport in Italy.... complain about results!! :laugh: :laugh: good/bad results doesn't matter, there's always something that didn't go as it was supposed to :laugh:
Then why is FS not more popular in Italy? There is no other sport where the judging and results are more debatable! :laugh:

alebi

Medalist
Australia was slightly preoccupied with speed skating in 2002

OT: but I just had a sad moment that there are Aussie kids getting around with no idea who Steve Bradbury even is.

ahahah Australia has still a big debt with Fate, you shouldn't win any more OGM for next ages :laugh: :p
no... wait!! I'm so greatful Sally Pearson won in London

Then why is FS not more popular in Italy? There is no other sport where the judging and results are more debatable!

because here the important thing isn't the sport you're debating on, but just have an argument! The World has still to understand that Italian athletes are the best ever seen and if they don't win it's only because curses or bad plans by bad people have decided so :laugh: :laugh:

Tutto

Record Breaker
From Tallinn, Estonia but born & reared in Siberia, Russia.Living for a number of years in Ireland - a wrong country for a FS fan! I heard of one Irish girl skater - a poor thing has to practice on roller skates most of the time! I don't know what level she is at but she goes to some competitions on the continent, I must follow it up and find out more. Skating & skiing was a big part of my own childhood, I think I got hooked on FS at age of 3 (nothing unusual for a girl in Soviet Union), got my first skates at 5 - ugly double blades attached to shoes, then 'graduated' to ditto with single blade and then at 7 ahh I got my first proper pair of skates, beautiful, German make, real soft white leather - I was over the moon and even kept them close to my bed when I slept so I could occasionally touch them during the night. I went to group lessons for 2 years but sadly didn't show any promise and was kicked out - terrible blow to one's confidence! Have remained a non skating fan ever since. Don't see FS ever popular in Ireland but such a pity that our neigbours (UK) are not doing that well either which reflects in TV coverage. Estonians despite having a strong school dont seem to do well in international competitions - very disappointing.

Country
Russia
I am from Connecticut, USA. When I was a child, the town had an outdoor rink and lots of dinky little ponds that everyone skated on. Today, the city has decided that the insurance is too great for the rink, and winters are not as cold anyway. There are two local indoor rinks, one connected with a local college, and Foxwoods has an outdoor rink of sorts.
I'm from Moscow, Russia.

Popularity of figure skating among spectators is now much lower, than, for example, 30 or 40 years ago.
But... Moscow has about 20 (20 or 21) sports schools of figure slating with ice rinks (most of them are shared with hockey), and lack of ice is problem for Moscow and all the Russia. Many children want to go to figure skating.
And there are many spectators at annual Rostelecom Cup, the same - at Worlds-2011 in Moscow.

BlackPack

Medalist
Before the time of live streaming and Youtube, watching skating was difficult especially when I was in Asia and even in Europe. I was a poor student and didn't have the fancy cable packages that covered FS in Europe nor did I have the time. FS was nonexistent in Asia. I paid a premium for a cable package to watch the 2006 Olympics but it didn't air FS :mad: There were a few rinks in Hong Kong and some skaters were sent to international competitions, but nobody of note. Aside from Kwan who later skated for the US ;)

Living in the US in the 90s was fun for skating. So many televised broadcasts and shows. The forums were very active. If you looked for specific performances from the past, you can purchase or exchange tapes. Tapes! I had dozens of tapes. Sometimes I accidentally erased performances I treasured. Thank god for Youtube now.

Live streaming wasn't very good even during Vancouver but it's much better now. Sochi NBC streamed entire competitions.

Being a FS fan is hard.

About Italian football - you have many world-class hot players, whereas Italian figure skaters aren't currently that many with the exception of Cappellini and Lanotte and Kostner. Mario Balotelli always keeps things interesting:biggrin:

Jombi

On the Ice
WOW we are few on this forum but live very near to each other :eek:

Hehehe maybe for the next season we should gather round and watch competitions together. It would be nice to have a 'complaining-no-matter-what' italian atmosphere for a non-football sport. Also FS is second to none regarding controversy so it should be the ideal.

Rai is horrible. I watch them only when there is no FS on Eurosport, like GPF.

Oh you're lucky. I had the chance to listen sky's commentary during Sochi OG (thanks to cielo and to some internet feeds) and it was really refreshing compared to the incompetence (Secondini) and to the partisanship (Bianconi) of some comments I usually have to endure with Rai. I really enjoyed ambesi and freri's commentary (not so much fontana, if i have to be honest). Are they the 'official team' for FS or did they only cover the OG?

I'm usually a lurker here and i restrain myself to post because of my english, therefore sorry for the mistakes and for the off-topic :)

alebi

Medalist
Oh you're lucky. I had the chance to listen sky's commentary during Sochi OG (thanks to cielo and to some internet feeds) and it was really refreshing compared to the incompetence (Secondini) and to the partisanship (Bianconi) of some comments I usually have to endure with Rai. I really enjoyed ambesi and freri's commentary (not so much fontana, if i have to be honest). Are they the 'official team' for FS or did they only cover the OG?

Max Ambesi and Angelo Dolfini are the voices for Eurosport coverage, we can't ask for better :)
I live in MN so we're really really close :) Ahahahah I support the idea of a "Bar Sport" during next season of FS :laugh:

Mario Balotelli always keeps things interesting :biggrin:

please... NO! :bang:

Anastasi14

On the Ice
Donetsk, Ukraine

Unfortunately, now figure skating is not very popular. Recently, the interest to ice sport have risen, especially due to the hockey, but not very much. The normal skating rink, where sportsmens can train in my city was opened only 5-6 years ago. There are a lot of children there, but it will take a lot of time to restore the school that was destroyed in 90s. And the TV coverage have been poor, but this year was an improvement and the Ukrainian tv showed Europe, Worlds and 4 Continents!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The best thing about Italy is Ferrari! (And the tifosi :) )

arcticwolf

Rinkside
Born and raised in Manila, Philippines and currently living in Korea where I got to experience winter sports for the first time. In the Philippines the closest I got to skating was rollerblading around the big globe in Luneta Park when I was a child (wasn't very good though ;)).

Basketball and boxing are the big sports in the Philippines, but figure skating is gaining a following thanks to Michael Christian Martinez and Yuzuru's Olympic performance.

I'm glad to exchange views, share information, and learn insights, even from those whose points of view I disagree with, in this forum.

I'm from Manila too :-D Aside from MCM and Yuzuru, I think some filipinos like me got to know figure skating because of kpop. The first figure skating that I watched was Yuna Kim's James Bond perf in 2010. I was mesmerized but didn't become a fan until before sochi because of Yuzuru :-D I have yet to set foot on ice haha hopefully this summer break I could try.