Salzburg 2010 | Golden Skate

Salzburg 2010

L

Lcp88

Salzburg 2010

So from what I've gathered, the 2010 winter Olympics are going to be held in Austria. It worked for Dorothy Hamiland John Curry!
Laura

E

Ewdokia

Re: Salzburg 2010

Has the final decision already been taken or is it just a rumour? BTW I read on an other board that Plushenko promoted Salzburg as location for OG 2010.

S

sk8tngcanuck

2010 Olympics

PRAGUE, Czech Republic, June 27 — Selecting the host city for the 2010 Winter Olympics might be little more than an afterthought for IOC members next week.

The choice of the 2010 host city — the candidates are Vancouver, British Columbia; Salzburg, Austria; and Pyeongchang, South Korea — seems tame in comparison to the vote for three places on the powerful IOC executive board.

According to this article the selection will not be made until next week, Wednesday I believe. I had thought Vancouver was a frontrunner.... in fact I hope it still is!

S

sk8tngcanuck

www.globeandmail.com/serv...Columnists

As you may be able to tell, I was all in a tizzy over this, and had to go searching. The decision definitely has not been made as the presentations don't happen until Wednesday July 2. Whew! Now I can continue hoping.

J

Joesitz

Re: 2010

Austria or Czech Rep., whatever. Will Irina and Michelle be there competiting?:D

Joe

L

Lcp88

Here's the article I found. The Title of it was like "Details of Salzburg's 2010 Bid" or something. Not sure how accurate it is....

WHERE: Events would be held in Salzburg, a historic city of 150,000 nestled in the Alps about 220 kilometers (137 miles) west of Vienna; the Kitzbuehel ski resort 73 kilometers (45 miles) to the southwest, and in the Amade region, 65 kilometers (41 miles) southeast of Salzburg. The bid includes 12 venues.

COST: The operating budget is about $900 million, covered by revenue from broadcast rights, sponsorships, ticket sales and licensing fees.

FACILITIES: All snow venues are in place. An ice hockey arena, a figure skating hall and a speed skating oval would be built. A smaller ice hockey arena would need upgrading.

GETTING AROUND: Railways, highways and roads connect all venues. Tickets will include public transportation to the competition sites. Salzburg's W.A. Mozart airport is located within city limits, just 5 kilometers (3 miles) from the city center and 1 kilometer (0.6 miles) from the main Olympic Village. Munich's airport is 176 kilometers (109 miles) to the northwest. Direct trains run to Vienna, Munich, Zurich and several other cities.

BID MASCOT: "Snowmo," a combination of a snowball and Salzburg's most famous son - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - was thought up by a 9-year-old girl who won a newspaper competition with her creation. The giant snowball on legs features a smiling face with rosy cheeks, topped by a Mozart-style wig. "Snowmo" sometimes holds a violin in one hand and skis in the other.

Laura

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:red;font-family:georgia;font-size:medium;">I would love to see the Olympics in Salzburg!</span>

S

sk8tngcanuck

olympics

Ahhhhh, it all makes sense now Lcp... that particular article is the bid details for Austria. I read similar articles for Vancouver and Peyongchang . I still have fingers crossed for Vancouver!

J

jesuiscanadienne

Re: olympics

mine are too crossed for Vancouver.

Would Austria not be hurt by Italy holding the 06 Olympics? Probably not, but I guess we will see what happens tomorrow.

M

mathman444

What is the proposed mascot for Vancouver? It will have to be pretty spectacular to compete with Salzburg's giant skiing violin-playing snowball in a Mozart wig!!!

How about Bigfoot skating in a tutu?

Mathman