About the landing and the height of each jump | Golden Skate

About the landing and the height of each jump

Meoima

Match Penalty
Hi, I have some questions about the landing and the jumps, would you please enlighten me?

1) What makes some landing look raw, I mean lots if ice dust in the landing. The speed? The height? Or the technique? I have noticed, some good jumpers slo have rough landing now and then. Even though they land it alright, there are lots of ice dust when they land. Does that mean that is not a good jump?

2) Usually which jump is the highest, just saying all of them are triple, the axel?

3) Landing that brings lots of ice dust have bad affects to the knees, doesn't it?

Components

Match Penalty
Hi, I have some questions about the landing and the jumps, would you please enlighten me?

1) What makes some landing look raw, I mean lots if ice dust in the landing. The speed? The height? Or the technique? I have noticed, some good jumpers slo have rough landing now and then. Even though they land it alright, there are lots of ice dust when they land. Does that mean that is not a good jump?
It has to do with:

1. Jump Height (Huge Jumps react more with the ice than smaller jumps)
2. Rotation (UR jumps tend to have more reaction with the ice, and sometimes what may look fine in real time is actually not all that fine)
3. Position on the landing (sometimes the skater is leaning too much in or out of the circle, sometimes they are too far forwards which puts them further up on their toe picks on the landing of the jump)
4. Landing on an Inside Edge.
5. Speed the jump is done at can affect how the jump interacts with the ice on landing.

2) Usually which jump is the highest, just saying all of them are triple, the axel?
Axels are usually high because the skater can jump straight up and into them off the toe pick.

Aside from that, Toe Jumps tend to be higher because of the way they are executed.

3) Landing that brings lots of ice dust have bad affects to the knees, doesn't it?
That's not necessarily true.

mskater93

Record Breaker
No, not necessarily, but that is more likely to affect the landing knee than one that is landed on a BO edge correctly, because the landing knee has to torque a bit to compensate for landing inside-out.

Meoima

Match Penalty
No, not necessarily, but that is more likely to affect the landing knee than one that is landed on a BO edge correctly, because the landing knee has to torque a bit to compensate for landing inside-out.
Thank you very much. :) I have one more question. If the skater lands on the inside edge, but he is clean and the jumps does not look bad, not 2 foot, then will the judges give him - GOE? Or it depends? :confused:

gkelly

Record Breaker
There's supposed to be a GOE reduction of -1 to -2 for "Weak landing (bad pos./wrong edge/scratching etc)"

The final GOE is not required to be negative, if there are other good qualities to make up for the weak landing. But -1 would probably be the most common GOE for a jump with that error.

Meoima

Match Penalty
There's supposed to be a GOE reduction of -1 to -2 for "Weak landing (bad pos./wrong edge/scratching etc)"
The final GOE is not required to be negative, if there are other good qualities to make up for the weak landing. But -1 would probably be the most common GOE for a jump with that error.
Thank you very much. Arcording to the new rules, At least they will not deduce 30 to 50% of BV for a weak landing. :think: