Male skaters and make up | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Male skaters and make up

BusyMom

Medalist
Let's also not forget: they're on a sheet of ice. Combined with the lighting of the camera that is a LOT of white space showing up on camera. They would something to make their faces stand out. Expression would be more obvious to the judges and would add to the presentation aspect. If I were a judge and let's say for example Yuzu was on the other end of the ice, I would not be able to see him emote as clearly, but if I see the face with just the right make-up, it would stand out in the instant I saw it when he intended to in that moment, and would be more inclined to give a better mark.
Yes the light and the ice sheet play so much factor on the skaters appearance on the ice. I have one set of my daughter's photo to proof that. We were late and had no time for the make up. Since she was only 9 at the time, I though her youth would pull that off to some extent. But nope...I was so wrong. From that set of pictures, she could have been the extra from the Walking Dead. :biggrin:

Meoima

Match Penalty
But nope...I was so wrong. From that set of pictures, she could have been the extra from the Walking Dead. :biggrin:
Ladies and gentlement, we have Yuzuzombie:

Kiss and cry at TEB 2013: http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Yuzuru+Hanyu+Trophee+Eric+Bompard+ISU+Grand+vUyHii3mhe8l.jpg
In practice: http://assets.espn.go.com/i/oly/winter14/ap/bios/images/Yuzuru_Hanyu.jpg

Damn, I wish I had his skin. :bang: Or at least the base and powder that they are using for him, if he had any make-up on that face.:scowl:

This video is epic!!!! Should I be surprise that Johnny has more make up than me?
I assume Johnny has more make up than even Tara Lipinski :slink:

nimi

Medalist
I think top skater might use powder, or lipstick. It's very subtle so we can't see it through camera.
But mascara and eyeliner like Weir or Sandhu? I think not. Because mascara and eyeliners are so obvious the camera couldn't miss it.
Well, if you use cheap and crappy mascara and/or don't know how to apply it properly... Good mascara, right colour, proper application = looks "natural". Also, eyeliner doesn't only come in black. There are more subtle colours which help you accentuate your eyes without being very obvious.

I suck at using primer+foundation+matifying powder so I usually don't bother, but the right producs and someone who knows how to use them = ten times better looking skin that still looks "natural".

Icey

Record Breaker
Huffpost chose the wrong photos to illustrate this story. Osmond, Virtue & Gold all have makeup on in their "barefaced" shots - just a lot less.

Probably should have been titled Skaters without theatrical make-up or some such.

BusyMom

Medalist

Enero

On the Ice
Plushenko - Wore makeup early in his career, but looked to have completely dropped it by 2005.

Scott Moir - I don't recall if he wore any this season, but in 2010 his foundation was almost as heavy as Tessa's especially at the Olympics.

Pamigena

Record Breaker

Bonnie F

On the Ice
I'd be surprised if any elite skaters (in the last three groups or so) don't wear some makeup, especially for televized competitions. Spotlights don't do anyone's natural skin tones (regardless of ethnic/racial background) any favors.

I agree, I think they are all wearing some makeup during competitions.

Amei

Record Breaker
Maxim Trankov most definitely wore eye liner when they did their Bring Me To Life short program.

I assume they all wear some level of makeup.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
If I didn't know that the kid is actually able to sweat I'd bet money on it that he was born without a single pore :sarcasm:

Seriously...Yuzu looks almost like a CGI character at times, it boggles the mind! For a teenage boy to have such flawless skin is so unfair...he probably doesn't have to even do anything to maintain it. Yes, I'm jealous!

Pamigena

Record Breaker
^ careful there, if you get green with envy it won't do your complexion any good :biggrin: (makeup might turn some people orange but I'm guessing it's helpless against Hulk-Green)

yude

Record Breaker
I remember Daisuke was saying somewhere that he doesn't wear make-up.

littlexflower

Rinkside
I don't think Yuzuru has ever wear any makeup. His complexion in most case looks perfect, but sometimes can be very pale, like a (cute) zombie especially when he's nervous or tired before big competitions.
I heard sweating is good for your skin, maybe that's why we can't spot his pores even in HD photos.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Yes. I thought it was obvious when he skated his Bolero program at 2001 Worlds that he was wearing makeup. Same with his 2002 Olympic programs.

Probably his face was too bright on the ice light blond hair white face .. even the beard had not grown ..