Least Favourite Programs By Your Favourite Skaters | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Least Favourite Programs By Your Favourite Skaters

This is a great idea for a thread!

YuNa's Roxanne, mainly because I just hate that crude song. Nothing wrong with her skating of it.
Mao: Bells of Moscow. That relentlessly droning version of the Rachmaninoff prelude seemed a waste of her fluid, buoyant skating.
Gordeyeva/Grinkov: Believe it or not, their Beethoven free skate in the 1994 Olympics. They had stretched so much artistically in their pro career, and then they went back to such tight formalism for this return to competition. Especially considering the emotional power projected by Mishkutenok/Dmitriev, I think it made G/G look very conservative.
Michelle: The recycling of East of Eden as her 2002 short program. This had such immediacy when she did it as an exhibition in both 1995 and 1998, but it looked squeezed into shape for the demands of a short program. The footwork especially didn't go with the music. Re-using this music after her break with Carroll only served to underline the fact that she was operating with fewer resources than she needed for such an important competition.

donezo

On the Ice
West Side Story was pretty awful (for the D's) it was too much like a watered down Missing III that was way too conventional (though mirror image is my favorite program of theirs so what do I know?)

I love their Reflections program too! So terribly underrated and misunderstood. I wish they had kept it for Worlds.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Hanyu R&J 2013-14
Asada Scheherazade, Liebestraume 2011-12
Kostner Scheherazade
Kwan Scheherazade
Kim Scheherazade (JK, actually Kiss of the Vampire)
Plushenko Tango Amore
V/T Jesus Christ Superstar

Plushy's sex bomb :scowl:
What??!! That's one of my favorites! A performance for the ages. IMO, all skaters should be required to skate a program like that at least once. :laugh:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Yuzuru - Parisienne Walkways. I hate the music & I'm sick of it.
Plushy - Pasadena ex. I hope he burned that costume!
Daisuke - Beatles FS - bland, not up to his usual standard

BusyMom

Medalist
What??!! That's one of my favorites! A performance for the ages. IMO, all skaters should be required to skate a program like that at least once. :laugh:

:agree: Together with Javier's aerobic EX. The exhibition programs should be something entertain or memorable, not just patch your competitive routine together with some cheesy music.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Kostner's Scheherazade (lifeless, hideous costume)
Kwan's Bolero (lacked passion)
Asada's Bells of Moscow (too heavy for her)
Hanyu's Romeo & Juliet (poorly packaged, but great technical content)
Fernandez's Peter Gunn (cheesy)
Fusar-Poli / Margaglio's "I Will Survive" (for an Olympic FS? Really?)
V/T's Jesus Christ Superstar (strange choice by using the overture, lots of other songs they could have chosen from the same musical)
S/S's Flamenco Bolero (ill-fitting and strange, at least for them)
Klimova / Ponomarenko's "Lawrence of Arabia" (too experimental for them, right down to the matching tights)
Usova / Zhulin's Fellini Medley (safe and dull)

And these are all my faves, too!

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
OK, I will jump in the pool.
For me I would have to say Sasha's 2010 Nationals performance of Moonlight Sonata. I realize that she had been injured early in the season and probably did not have enough time to prepare properly, but putting the lack of jumps aside it lacked the cadence of the SOI version to the music. Even the positions in her spins and the spiral were not hit the same way her SOI program were designed. I did enjoy her 2010 Espana Cani short program though.
(I also wished that she would have skated a competitive program to Madame Butterfly, she did a beautiful exhibition when she was younger, I believe a more mature presentation would have been spectacular)!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I agree with most of your choices:
-Caro's Sheherazade (simply didn't work, Bolero was the right program to end her career);
-Michelle's Bolero (probably her worst FS ever for me, empty empty empty and boring);
-S/S Flamenco-Bolero (horrible music and extremely boring choreography, incredibly overscored in PCS for that);
-V/T Jesus Christ Superstar (terrible music);
-C/L Barber of Seville (it looked a mix of some of their old programs, it really never appealed to me);
-Patrick's Four Seasons (the choreography had nothing to do with the music for most of the time :confused2: )

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Bourne/Kraatz's March With Me, the only program of theirs that I didn't like
Shawn Sawyer's Americana in SOI
Belbin/Agosto's Moldavian Dances
Virtue/Moir's FD from this season (nothing really wrong with it, but it was a snooze)
Navarro/Bommentre's 2010 OD
Konstantin Menshov - Men In Black II
Weaver/Poje - tango FD from this year, mostly because of the music, also didn't really dig the exhibition

I have to say, I normally enjoy all of my favourites' programs. It was hard to think of these.

mary01

Final Flight
Hanyu R&J 2013-14
Asada Scheherazade, Liebestraume 2011-12
Kostner Scheherazade
Kwan Scheherazade
Kim Scheherazade (JK, actually Kiss of the Vampire)
Plushenko Tango Amore
V/T Jesus Christ Superstar

WHAAT!!! you have got to be kidding me Liebestraum is one of my absolute favorite programs of Mao it was soo beautiful and the choreography soo detailed and interpreted every note of the music :points:
Mao's Scheherazade looked like something taken out of a fairytale or fantasy world, it was original and different from the usual Scheherazade, and the steps were just to die for.

back to topic my least favorite competitive programs this season would be:
Akiko's fs 2014 (I was really disapointed when I saw her programs this season, it just lacked the spark her programs usually have)
Carolinas bolero (just not my cup of tea)

There were alot of other programs this season I really didn't like but these were not from my favorite skaters

Bourne/Kraatz's March With Me, the only program of theirs that I didn't like
Shawn Sawyer's Americana in SOI
Belbin/Agosto's Moldavian Dances
Virtue/Moir's FD from this season (nothing really wrong with it, but it was a snooze)
Navarro/Bommentre's 2010 OD
Konstantin Menshov - Men In Black II
Weaver/Poje - tango FD from this year, mostly because of the music, also didn't really dig the exhibition

I have to say, I normally enjoy all of my favourites' programs. It was hard to think of these.

I thought that Weaver/Poje's tango was well-choreographed, but I think that Kaitlyn is kind of a stiff dancer.

I agree that Scheherazade program never really worked (plus it's cursed music for reigning ladies champions) but i retrospet it makes a lot more sense. It was a transitional program between her artiste-on-ice period (Lyra Angelique, Black Swan) and the pared down power skating lps of 2003 and 2004.

Had she been able to continue I think Bolera would be seen in retrospect her transitional program into CoP but health concerns did for that....

West Side Story was pretty awful (for the D's) it was too much like a watered down Missing III that was way too conventional (though mirror image is my favorite program of theirs so what do I know?)

I agree with most of this. SLC destroyed my enjoyment of Scheherazade, but I don't think it was "Kill it with fire!" bad. I think that Bolero would have been better received as a exhibition skate (I know people who absolutely love it).

Back to the original question: I can't think of a program that I really, really hated, but Yuzuru, Yuna, and Adelina's LPs and Virtue/Moir's FD didn't really draw me in.

jimeonji

Final Flight
Hanyu 12-13 FP. even worse than this season's, and I hate them both.
Asada 09-10 FP. the music is ??? what
Kim 09-10 SP/FP oops. maybe just not for me I guess (am I the only one that likes her Scheherazade)
Fernandez 13-14 SP. when will Orser let them go to other choreographers?
Takahashi 13-14 FP. I find it boring. I wish he had a better program to (most likely) end his career.

Alba

Record Breaker
Klimova&Ponomarenko - FD 1991 Lawrence of Arabia
Usova & Zhulin - FD 1994
Torvill & Dean - FD 1994
Ilia Kulik - LP Nagano 1998
Grishuk&Platov - LP Nagano 1998
Yagudin - LP 2000 Broken Arrow
Drobiazko&Vanagas - FD Spente Le Stelle & FD Quelques Cris (mainly because of the music)
V&T - LP Sochi 2014

Sabre Dance :slink:

I thought that was very good. :slink:
I mean Yulia's SP.