Daisuke Takahashi To Take Year Out To Decide Future | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi To Take Year Out To Decide Future

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just came across this article from The Japan News.

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0001227251

I can't blame him, to be honest. It totally makes sense to play it like this. Take a year out to fully recover from the injuries, and then decide whether to continue competing or not.

Personally, I hope he does come back! A fully fit Takahashi would give young Hanyu some proper competition... and give the rest of the field a real run for their money! ;) :biggrin:

Thank you Ira for posting the link to Facebook!

CaroLiza_fan

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
"Takahashi, who won the silver medal at the 2010 Vancouver Games..." ;)

Speedy recovery, Daisuke!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I really admire him for trying to stay around some time more (Men really seem to have more longevity than Ladies! ;) ), but I don't know what kind of results he can achieve at his age and given his abilities... Plushy at least knew that (when he was on) he could land a clean quad, when most of Dai's jumps are often close to UR :cry: I hope he can surprise me, though (or maybe just skate for the love of skating, as Miki did)!! :yes:

I'm happy to hear that he's resting and giving his body a chance to recover. But selfishly, I do hope he comes back, even if it's to show skating instead of competitive skating. He is too splendid a skater to say goodbye to.

Scovies

Final Flight
I really admire him for trying to stay around some time more (Men really seem to have more longevity than Ladies! ;) ), but I don't know what kind of results he can achieve at his age and given his abilities... Plushy at least knew that (when he was on) he could land a clean quad, when most of Dai's jumps are often close to UR :cry: I hope he can surprise me, though (or maybe just skate for the love of skating, as Miki did)!! :yes:

To be fair to Dai, he can still and a clean quad when he's on and healthy, too -- he did it twice at NHK, which I think is the last time he skated this year while injury-free. His performances there would have gotten him on the podium in Sochi easily.

He's my favorite skater, so even if he isn't fully competitive with the top guys anymore, I will never object to seeing new programs from him. :biggrin:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think a year off to recover his health would be great for him. Like Chan, he could also come back whenever and still be one of the top guys (if not the top guy) artistically. Unfortunately, I don't think his jumps will be competitive enough, but as others say, I would love to see him skate again regardless.

noskates

Record Breaker
You just hope he really can overcome his injuries at his age. He's still a young man but not necessarily in skate years. I've never been a fan until this past Olympics. I loved his SP and LP - especially the latter. I do hope we can see him competing again but it's going to be really difficult breaking back into the ranks with the young men that are out there now.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't see Takahashi coming back next year. He's already past his prime at 28 and taking a year off at his age then coming back at 29 how competitive is he really going to be? His jumps have been declining for the last few years and taking time off isn't going to help. He just like Jeremy and Carolina need to realize that their best years are behind them and retire.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Daisuke turned 28 last month. He said he would not compete at all in the coming season, which would include Worlds 2015. In the 2015-2016 season, he will be 30 when and if he competes at Worlds 2016 in Boston.

Taking such a long time off at his age could result in depleted stamina, something we have seen even with much younger skaters returning from injury. IMO, Daisuke has passed his peak years for competitive skating. He'd be much wiser to consider pro skating where his artistry can continue to bloom.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Dai-chan has retired from competitive skating. His statements about taking a year off from competition is
just talk. It is time and he knows it.

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
So tired of people who think they can decide what others should do with their lives. Even if someone is past their prime they may just enjoy competing or the grind of training as an amateur.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Dai said that he wanted a (romantic) partner, just recently. :love: How much I wish I were a Japanese girl (or boy I don't care) right now. :eek::

Q: What you want right now is…?
Nobu: A house, for my family…
Tatsuki: [Academic] credits. This month was really busy, sometimes I had to take a plane from Tokyo to go to school.
Dai: A [romantic] partner, I haven’t had one for years…sleeping alone at night is so lonely.

Source: http://magicaleggplant.tumblr.com/post/83548433807/dai-nobu-tatsuki-q-a-from-the-kansai-univ-honor

Dai said that he wanted a (romantic) partner, just recently. :love: How much I wish I were a Japanese girl (or boy I don't care) right now. :eek::

Source: http://magicaleggplant.tumblr.com/post/83548433807/dai-nobu-tatsuki-q-a-from-the-kansai-univ-honor

Oh, my heart just went pitty-pat. The Daisuke line forms to the right!

Seriously, I do hope he is able to fulfill other life wishes while he recovers. I remember a report years ago about Shen and Zhao that they had never been out on dates (not just dating each other, I mean--they'd never had a chance to form relationships with anyone). Fortunately, they had such an intense and longstanding connection with each other that it formed the seed of a loving union. It must be so much more difficult for singles skaters, who have to put everything else aside in order to devote themselves to this way of life. The ones who retire at nineteen can at least find their way at an early age, but the ones who remain competitive until they're almost thirty can often end up with virtually no other life experiences and must start from scratch a decade and a half behind everyone else. (Plushenko being a notable exception! :))

jkun

Final Flight

I think the reason the jumps look very close to UR on the ice is because his jumps have ridiculously little pre-rotation. Even compared to other top skaters, he has less pre-rotation. Which, I mean is admirable, I guess, but it does not do him any favors in terms of completing rotations.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States

Oh, my heart just went pitty-pat. The Daisuke line forms to the right!

..)

Aaah, if only I were a bit younger, I would bite, claw, scratch, and shove my way to the front of that line, Olympia. :p:laugh:

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I think a year off to recover his health would be great for him. Like Chan, he could also come back whenever and still be one of the top guys (if not the top guy) artistically. Unfortunately, I don't think his jumps will be competitive enough, but as others say, I would love to see him skate again regardless.

I think it will be a little more challenging for Takahashi to come back compared to Chan because he is older than Chan and hasn't been on the podium as recently.

But we will see what happens after next season when he makes a decision.

BlackPack

Medalist
I find it hard to imagine Dai without a romantic partner! He must get hit on constantly but I suppose he has to turn many people down too. And famous people find it hard to believe that they're loved for themselves. I always thought he had someone on the side ;)

I think it must be painful for a skater to just retire. "Taking a year off" is really a gradual weaning off. Less abrupt.

Olympia, yes, skaters spend so much time on jumping, spinning, skating, dancing, etc. skills but when it comes to seduction and maintaining a relationship, it is a whole other skillset that takes the Casanovas of the world to truly master.

In the end, it is really about finding the right person and if you are whole enough yourself.

Esopian

Final Flight
I can't see Takahashi coming back next year. He's already past his prime at 28 and taking a year off at his age then coming back at 29 how competitive is he really going to be? His jumps have been declining for the last few years and taking time off isn't going to help. He just like Jeremy and Carolina need to realize that their best years are behind them and retire.

I agree with your comment even though I really like Daisuke's style of skating and charisma. It's great that he won a bronze at Vancouver, but now I think he's reaching his years (as in skating years) and like he said himself, find a partner and maybe just continue with the rest of his life instead of continue competing.

Takahashi is aging and his injury is prone to affect him if he continues next year. Imagine how much further the skating field would evolve within a year! Missing the competitive 'momentum' would definitely affect how he'll skate, if he decides to comeback and pull a Plushenko. It would be really interesting if he competes again because I absolutely love his skating!