Favorite Jumps? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Favorite Jumps?

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Lutz for the counterrotation effect, axel for the forward takeoff, triple loop-triple loop combinations for the cool effect of the takeoff for the second jump coming right off the first with no touchdown of the free leg (well of course, that's what makes it a loop, but you know what I mean).

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
To do, I like lutz jumps. My least favourite is the loop. It seems to give skaters a lot of trouble, including myself.

Obviously watching a 3A like Ito/Yan/Hanyu and a 4T like Hanyu/Chan/Plushenko is quite thrilling to see.

I'm the same. To do, I love the lutz BOE edge and the snap you need to get that counter-rotation into a real rotation. I understand why so many people flutz because it feels so unnatural. My least favorite is the loop. I cannot do one in isolation for the life of me, only as a hail Mary at the back end of a combination.

To watch, I prefer the edge jumps. I love a beautiful salchow or loop. Midori Ito's loop is a thing to behold. I guess I'll also say I love a gorgeous lutz. Urmanov in his Lillehamer free program had a glorious one, from start to finish. The finest lutz I've seen.

TMC

Record Breaker
Love a beautiful Lutz - especially 'tano & Rippon! Also a high 3A is gorgeous

Hate ugly loops

BusyMom

Medalist
When it comes to my favorite jumps, it depend on who's executing them:

Oda has the best knee bend when it comes to landing his jumps.

Exactly my thought. Also in my opinion, landing is the best part of the jumps. Great jumps with no flow-out or forward leaning hunched position in landing are not pretty after all.

For Men I love all of Oda's jumps just for his knee alone. Ladies, Mao's 3A is my favourite.

Here is the video of Japanese TV with Oda (not really about jumps but his face during jumps).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueHUXkQaTlQ

Carmen95

Rinkside
I get chills when Mao lands her triple axel...
I also like the loop and of course the quads, because they are just amazing... And of course all throw jumps when nicely done, they are peaks in every program! Except for the throw triple axel, I kinda don´t like how it looks within a program... And it also kind of cursed Savchenko/Szolkowy, but that´s another story...
Well, overall, every well executed jump with a nice flowy landing is beautiful to watch, even more when jumps have a nice timing with the music!

jimeonji

Final Flight
3a of course *-* with the men, Hanyu and Yan, inevitably; with the women, Mao's is beautiful when she gets it, and although Midori's was never really elegant like Mao's, I still love watching them - the height! the power! the speed! (and she can still land a great 2a :love:)
Mao's loop is also a favorite, along with Yuna's lutz; Hanyu or Chan's 4t; I only really like the 4s when Fernandez does it for some reason (maybe seeing Hanyu fall on the 4s too many times)

lbc2138

On the Ice
3a of course *-* with the men, Hanyu and Yan, inevitably; with the women, Mao's is beautiful when she gets it, and although Midori's was never really elegant like Mao's, I still love watching them - the height! the power! the speed! (and she can still land a great 2a :love:)
Mao's loop is also a favorite, along with Yuna's lutz; Hanyu or Chan's 4t; I only really like the 4s when Fernandez does it for some reason (maybe seeing Hanyu fall on the 4s too many times)

This

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

I stopped paying attention to skating for a couple of seasons so I didn't know who Hanyu is. But this season I started watching again and Yan has the most gorgeous 3A I've ever seen. The +3 GOEs made me realize I still can recognize good skating. Then I saw Hanyu and his technique is wonderful. I'm not a fan of Mao's 3A, I mean it's great she's the only woman trying it, but it has very little power and like she does on most of her jumps she has a very lazy un-turned out and unstretched free leg on the landing. Nelidina, bless her, had a much better and easier 3axel. Mao is a good edge jumper. Her loop goes up, but again, the landing position is lazy. And when she adds her 1.5/1.5 loop combos with no power it for me makes a very meh impression. Where did Hanyu learn his jumps?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Where did Hanyu learn his jumps?
In the only public ice rink in Sendai. This is when he was 15 years old, people are skating around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8EYy2MaWIs
He had all of his jumps before he went to Orser. The funny thing is, he went to Orser because of the quads, but his 4S is still inconsistent in the competition. I hope the mental block was removed already. When he landed the 4S it looks not bad at all.

About Han Yan, his 3A looks great, but a poster who had watched him live more than once said that Han Yan's jumps do not have much height as PChan and Hanyu. That poster said his jumps look totally different from the video. He jumps across but the height does not look that great. I don't know for sure. I hope I can watch them live to clarify that statement.

jkun

Final Flight
In the only public ice rink in Sendai. This is when he was 15 years old, people are skating around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8EYy2MaWIs
He had all of his jumps before he went to Orser. The funny thing is, he went to Orser because of the quads, but his 4S is still inconsistent in the competition. I hope the mental block was removed already. When he landed the 4S it looks not bad at all.

About Han Yan, his 3A looks great, but a poster who had watched him live more than once said that Han Yan's jumps do not have much height as PChan and Hanyu. That poster said his jumps look totally different from the video. He jumps across but the height does not look that great. I don't know for sure. I hope I can watch them live to clarify that statement.

I've also heard Han Yan's 3As do not look as great in person.

TheCzar

On the Ice
Kim's lutz. Her back-end toe I find okay (except for maybe her 2A-3T), but her lutz is a thing of beauty.

Asada's triple axel (not a powerful or impactful as Ito's- which I love as well, but I like the refinement and the ease. Most ladies go off-axis or wonky mid-jump like Harding or Ito sometimes but when Mao does it well, it's magnificent. Especially in 2007-8 and Vancouver.) AND her triple loop. I live for Mao's triple loop- and that 'there-you-go' gesture she makes after her final jump in the Sochi SP made me scream, 'YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES GIRL! Take it home baby!!!!'

Hanyu's 3A

Takahashi's lutz

Patrick Chan's 4T-3T

Yan Han's 3A for its sheer force, attack and coverage- and he's such a cute little package!

Meoima

Match Penalty
I've also heard Han Yan's 3As do not look as great in person.
I mean, it's weird, isn't it. How things look different from the video and in real life. I have encountered same situation before. We can only blame/thank the cameramen/camera angle, I suppose.
Nevertheless, I hope to see Han Yan's 3As in person to confirm the statement by myself.