Lillehamer Revisited | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Lillehamer Revisited

nguyhm

On the Ice
Oh, I didn't even notice anybody "jumping" at me. I think the conversation was perfectly fine! :)

Coming back to 1994: didn't Urmanov date Mishkutenok back then? I heard something like that, but I am not sure it's true. If so, it will add salt to injury: stealing the most gorgeous woman who ever appeared in figure skating! :)

Natalia lives in Colorado now and is really really not married to Urmanov! Actually, it's interesting. I remember an interview with Natalia back then when she could not articulate a single word in English. And now she landed in Colorado. I wish to go there and maybe ask for a photo with an autograph. It's just two states away... :)

OK, to be completely honest, if you take away the lace Alexei had a potential to be good looking. But that lace!

P.S. I was wrong. Natalia currently lives in Texas. But I was right about Colorado too, because she lived there before Texas.

I remember seeing some showing about Natalia watching his competition but there was not any coverage on their relationship that I could recall hearing about. I wonder who broke her heart, Urmanov or Dmitriev????

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Not sure that I'd call Natalia the most beautiful, but she's definitely up there near the top. I had no idea that she & Alexei had been an item; also didn't know she was living in the US.

I know a few years ago, some time around 2009, Natalia was coaching students in Dallas TX because the local news did a piece on her.

nguyhm

On the Ice
I know a few years ago, some time around 2009, Natalia was coaching students in Dallas TX because the local news did a piece on her.

I live in Dallas :), have wanted to go to the ice rink where she coaches but can't find an excuse (or the time).

nguyhm

On the Ice
Well, isn't wanting to see Natalia a good excuse?
It's a perfect excuse :) but what should I say - "I'm a big fan :)". I'm sure she'd rather have her privacy. Was hoping I had a granddaughter old enough to learn how to skate, I will definitely have Natalia be the coach, but so far no grandbaby yet. My son and his wife are fs fans and my son has said he would like for his daughter to learn skating - his very own words "I want a jumping robot like Julia Lipnitskia" - no offense rather admiration from his part. Sorry off subject a bit, he is very well aware that I'm a big M&D fan and he was the one seeking out Natalia's whereabouts from the internet. Back to 1994 Lillehammer, heartbroken that M&D did not win but G&G was a deserving choice. I'm happy that M&D gave it their best and that Natalia overcame her depression and delivered two perfect programs. I remember a comment Tracy Wilson made in which Natalia stated that the reason she wanted to come back was because she wanted to skate her best. Referring to her OGM in 92 as her best she said she was not - she had two mistakes in the long program - two footed her jump and single her axel (if my memories serve me right), she was perfect in 1994 despite their placement.

Manitou

Medalist
It's a perfect excuse :) but what should I say - "I'm a big fan :)". I'm sure she'd rather have her privacy. Was hoping I had a granddaughter old enough to learn how to skate, I will definitely have Natalia be the coach, but so far no grandbaby yet. My son and his wife are fs fans and my son has said he would like for his daughter to learn skating -

I thought the same: it's weird for a middle-aged person to approach a young athlete asking for a photo or autograph. Until I went to Indian Wells Tennis tournament. Or to Skate America in Portland. Then I learned there are many people like me: crazy middle-aged fans going after athletes for photos and autographs. And there is nothing embarrassing about it. Middle-aged doesn't have to mean a stern icy preacher.
When people were crowding to see Roger Federer or Maria Sharapova up close I was one of them. We even spoke to Meryl and Charlie on Skate America - and to our surprise they spoke back to us. They turned to be regular people, like everybody else on the street.
I thought I would never approach a young female athlete, say Aga Radwanska or Carolina Costner, for an autograph or a picture, and what? I did it many times and it I didn't feel creepy doing it.
Probably I would still hesitate to approach young kids, like Yulia for example, I would send my wife for that, but as to young adults? Why not?

And what? Natalia is now a middle-aged woman, just like you, so there is completely no separation between you two. She has to earn her living just like you do. Her relationship to you is identical as yours to her. You are both regular people sharing the same life challenges. I would never be afraid to approach her and ask for a photo, or even chat about her past skating experience. Yes, when she appears unwelcoming then you need to stop, but I don't think she is like that. And that rule applies not only to former athletes, but to everybody, including your own neighbours.

anyanka

Record Breaker
And what? Natalia is now a middle-aged woman, just like you, so there is completely no separation between you two. She has to earn her living just like you do. Her relationship to you is identical as yours to her. You are both regular people sharing the same life challenges. I would never be afraid to approach her and ask for a photo, or even chat about her past skating experience. Yes, when she appears unwelcoming then you need to stop, but I don't think she is like that. And that rule applies not only to former athletes, but to everybody, including your own neighbours.

Prime example is Meryl Streep. She was just having lunch with friends and not promoting a new film or project. Fan stops her and asks for a photo politely, and Meryl very sweetly replies "sorry, I'm not working at the moment".

Translation: "If we were at a promotional event then I'll certainly stop, but I'm with friends right now and while I appreciate and am flattered by the attention, I'd like to keep this private right now, please and thank you."

We should apply the same standard to the skaters. We can tell them we love their work and are big fans, but leave it to certain places and times. It's one thing to chat with Meryl Davis at Skate America right after the competition when she's ready to head to the press zone, it's another when she's racing out to dinner with friends on her own time and stops to pick up flowers or a birthday gift and is pressed for time. They have errands and things to do, like everyone else. Some celebs do stop and indulge, but when they give hints to back off: take the hint.

Manitou

Medalist
Prime example is Meryl Streep. She was just having lunch with friends and not promoting a new film or project. Fan stops her and asks for a photo politely, and Meryl very sweetly replies "sorry, I'm not working at the moment".

Translation: "If we were at a promotional event then I'll certainly stop, but I'm with friends right now and while I appreciate and am flattered by the attention, I'd like to keep this private right now, please and thank you."

We should apply the same standard to the skaters. We can tell them we love their work and are big fans, but leave it to certain places and times. It's one thing to chat with Meryl Davis at Skate America right after the competition when she's ready to head to the press zone, it's another when she's racing out to dinner with friends on her own time and stops to pick up flowers or a birthday gift and is pressed for time. They have errands and things to do, like everyone else.

It's all 100% true what you said. This is why I didn't advise to stalk Natalia on her front lawn, but to go to the rink where she WORKS, sit somewhere on a back seat and observe her practice. And she is not a celebrity like Meryl Streep. In fact, I don't even think she is a celebrity at all! She is a regular person in the mall. She doesn't need bodyguards.
I went to a fencing practice in my town to observe the US national team prepare for the Olympics. I sat in the back and watched the athletes, including Mariel Zagunis and others. No harm, no drama. The stands were open for everybody and I was not the only one there. There were others too.
Another time I went to watch Roger Federer practice. And I tell you: I barely found a seat! Of course Roger is an emperor, so no wonder! But I watched other tennis players' practice too. I love watching sports practice. It's a part of being a sports fan! Sometimes watching practices is more fun than the games themselves!

If I lived in Dallas I would go to see Natalia work several times already! So I don't know what you are waiting for!

Some celebs do stop and indulge, but when they give hints to back off: take the hint.

Not only celebrities. This applies to everybody.

anyanka

Record Breaker
It's all 100% true what you said. This is why I didn't advise to stalk Natalia on her front lawn, but to go to the rink where she WORKS, sit somewhere on a back seat and observe her practice. And she is not a celebrity like Meryl Streep. In fact, I don't even think she is a celebrity at all! She is a regular person in the mall. She doesn't need bodyguards.
I went to a fencing practice in my town to observe the US national team prepare for the Olympics. I sat in the back and watched the athletes, including Mariel Zagunis and others. No harm, no drama. The stands were open for everybody and I was not the only one there. There were others too.
Another time I went to watch Roger Federer practice. And I tell you: I barely found a seat! Of course Roger is an emperor, so no wonder! But I watched other tennis players' practice too. I love watching sports practice. It's a part of being a sports fan! Sometimes watching practices is more fun than the games themselves!

If I lived in Dallas I would go to see Natalia work several times already! So I don't know what you are waiting for!

Not only celebrities. This applies to everybody.

I'm in agreement. And lucky you that you saw Roger Federer, even just in practice!! :)

And I think you get my point about backing off from those we consider celebrities. Meryl Streep isn't exactly Natalia M but the point remains the same: just gauge the situation, be respectful, everything you said.

And for the record, I would so drop by and see Natalia at work. Heh.

Manitou

Medalist
I'm in agreement. And lucky you that you saw Roger Federer, even just in practice!! :)

Not only practice, but also in games. And his signature on my hat! :)
The hat is now sacred! lol

If you love tennis then the best opportunity to see all players up close and personal is to go to Indian Wells tournament. It's in Palm Springs every March!

Big Deal

Final Flight
Interesting topic, especially because 2 of my all-time favourites are mentioned here :Meryl Streep and Roger Federer.

Also the top 2 from my "Best ever pairs"list, G&G and M&D. And the all-time Number 1 Dance couple in my book, Torvill&Dean.
Watching again the programmes noone else should win than them.
All the other questionnabla results remained to be questionnable but the ice dance result (which was a clear bias).

Manitou

Medalist
Another thing I remember from 1994 was a spectacular long program by Brasseur/Eisler at Canadian Nationals going into the Olympics. It was magical and out of this world. I may still have it in the depths of my VHS archives, but I don't even have a player to play it. Anyway, it was a perfection. Unfortunately they didn't repeat the same level in Llilehamer, but if they did they would have been on equal terms with G/G and M/D. Possibly even winning...

evangeline

Record Breaker
Another thing I remember from 1994 was a spectacular long program by Brasseur/Eisler at Canadian Nationals going into the Olympics. It was magical and out of this world. I may still have it in the depths of my VHS archives, but I don't even have a player to play it. Anyway, it was a perfection. Unfortunately they didn't repeat the same level in Llilehamer, but if they did they would have been on equal terms with G/G and M/D. Possibly even winning...

Even if Brasseur/Eisler were completely clean, there was no way the judges would have put them any higher than bronze as long as G/G and M/D didn't bomb their programs. Brasseur/Eisler had some really strong elements, but their basic skating quality (as well as qualities like polish, etc. which were especially valued under 6.0 pairs) was miles below G/G and M/D. B/E just weren't at the same level, and there was no way they were going to win in 1994 when the professionals came back (and based on Lloyd's grumbling about the pros coming back, he knew it too). If the judges let G/G with mistakes win over a clean M/D, they were 100% going to do the same for B/E.

Manitou

Medalist
Even if Brasseur/Eisler were completely clean, there was no way the judges would have put them any higher than bronze as long as G/G and M/D didn't bomb their programs. Brasseur/Eisler had some really strong elements, but their basic skating quality (as well as qualities like polish, etc. which were especially valued under 6.0 pairs) was miles below G/G and M/D. B/E just weren't at the same level, and there was no way they were going to win in 1994 when the professionals came back (and based on Lloyd's grumbling about the pros coming back, he knew it too). If the judges let G/G with mistakes win over a clean M/D, they were 100% going to do the same for B/E.

As I read your post I see you are right. Under 6.0 they had no chance. But at least there would have been a basis for some debate. Anyway, in pairs it was probably the most memorable Olympics for me.

nguyhm

On the Ice
As I read your post I see you are right. Under 6.0 they had no chance. But at least there would have been a basis for some debate. Anyway, in pairs it was probably the most memorable Olympics for me.

I agree! It was the best Olympic pairs event for me. The current pairs teams are very technically talented but they don't provide a wow factor for me, unlike M&D and G&G then later on B&S. Even with Dmitriev teaming up with Kazakova, the wow factor was totally missing, Oksana could not exude the same kind of magic.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Not only practice, but also in games. And his signature on my hat! :)
The hat is now sacred! lol

If you love tennis then the best opportunity to see all players up close and personal is to go to Indian Wells tournament. It's in Palm Springs every March!

Not to divert the conversation but that's a great idea, and the hat should be locked up in a vault or something for safekeeping.
Palm Springs during the winter? Hello, I'm so there!! :)