Should figure skating be removed from the Olympic games? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Should figure skating be removed from the Olympic games?

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia
In fact, I wish somebody made an official proposal to remove FS from OG. It would be fun to see people's reaction :biggrin:

jace93

On the Ice
In fact, I wish somebody made an official proposal to remove FS from OG. It would be fun to see people's reaction :biggrin:

yeah it would be very funny to see the athletes reaction... because something that many seems to forget is that for most of the skater the goal is the olympics, and not winning or losing some medal, but just have the chance to skate on the most important stage, with all the eyes of the world on them, not just that of a handful of fans who pass half the time arguing on who was the worst skater ever and wining because the sport it's not as popular as it was twenty years ago...

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia
yeah it would be very funny to see the athletes reaction... because something that many seems to forget is that for most of the skater the goal is the olympics, and not winning or losing some medal, but just have the chance to skate on the most important stage, with all the eyes of the world on them, not just that of a handful of fans who pass half the time arguing on who was the worst skater ever and wining because the sport it's not as popular as it was twenty years ago...

Why don’t you add that in some countries athletes are funded by their national Olympic Committees, as simple as that? :p

However, I think there would be divided opinion. Some skating community insiders have expressed discontent with over-focusing on OG and might prefer living in the world of the own events like that of ballroom dancing.

Anyway, the most interesting for me are so called casual viewers who watch FS once in 4 years. If FS won’t be there, would they notice the difference? Would they find such a possibility disturbing enough to sign petitions etc., etc.? :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Yes! Come back, Michelle, come back... :biggrin:

Maybe join the "We can't stop competing!!" team for the team event, along with the rest of the, "oops, we're reconsidering retirement" people?

pamela

Rinkside
YES, it definetely should be moved from the Olympics unless there will be a HUGE change in judging before the next Olympics. I don´t wish to see such corrupt judging as in Sochi happened EVER AGAIN. And no major competitions should be held in Russia from now on.

It is now the right time for ISU to clean the stables from corrupt judges (and judges who don´t apparently understand what is happening on the ice). Skaters should be given scores for what they are doing on the ice in that competition and not for what they have done in past.

Better for the sport to be reduced if that is what is needed for the effective change. NO more several persons with a Russian name in one judging panel.

you mean only figure skating right? lots of other competitions are held in russia (from other sports) and the judging is fine.

the problem isnt that the competitions are held in russia, the problem is the judging system and the judges who may accept incentives to judge in favour of certain skaters. the last time i checked the whole panel wasnt russian, and having a russian name doesnt make you russian, there are at least 15 countries that use slavic names and in the same countries (including russia) you find occidental names. (im not defending the results btw, its just facts)

sports that bring money will never be out of the olympics, even tho if they have scandals like the ladies podium did.

now, major changes for judging and codes happen at the beggining of new cycle. if any changes are going to be made it will happen after 2018, i doubt that even making the judging not anonymous would happen before 2018.

pec0

Match Penalty
It's kind of destructive behavior little children posses. If I can't play with the toy then I will destroy the toy.

I do not think competitive figure skate will be destroyed if it is not included in Olympic. Not all sports in Olympic are popular. Not all sports out of Olympic are unpopular. I think figure skate attracts some public attention mainly because attractive young people dressed in shining uniform dance on the ice. But it seems not enough to increace population of figure skate fans maybe because there are other arts/sports with similar offer.

pec0

Match Penalty
Some comments say because i post selfish nonsense because my favorite skater are underhandled, or judes are 'harsh' to her.

I never thought corrupt judge, unfair deduction, unaccoutable bonus points are so OK to so many people. I hope 'harsh' does not mean 'serve you right'

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia
Some comments say because i post selfish nonsense because my favorite skater are underhandled, or judes are 'harsh' to her.

I never thought corrupt judge, unfair deduction, unaccoutable bonus points are so OK to so many people. I hope 'harsh' does not mean 'serve you right'

Yeah well, figure skating community is a bit special in this sense :biggrin:

I think you're unfair though. There were lots of fighters for justice at the beginning but you have to take in consideration that those who stayed with this forum [or, with after-Sochi figure skating in general :biggrin:] till now are mainly those who are OK with anything on condition that their favorite wins/performs
– or, cynics who enjoy the vanity of human nature ;)

Jump

Rinkside
IOC and NBC will never let that happen. NBC paid $1.1 BILLION to broadcast the 2014 Sochi Olympics. NBC paid another $1.1 BILLION to broadcast 2018 PyeongChang Olympics. Even with the decline in interest in figure skating, the ladies event is still the marque event and the crown jewel for NBC and the IOC.

cooper

Medalist
IOC and NBC will never let that happen. NBC paid $1.1 BILLION to broadcast the 2014 Sochi Olympics. NBC paid another $1.1 BILLION to broadcast 2018 PyeongChang Olympics. Even with the decline in interest in figure skating, the ladies event is still the marque event and the crown jewel for NBC and the IOC.

especially there's a possibility of an American winning ogm in pyeongchang..

Manitou

Medalist
especially there's a possibility of an American winning ogm in pyeongchang..

Exactly! Except a narrow circle of hard-code fans nobody in the US cares about Yuna, they don't even know who she is, so some fake and artificially created "judging controversy" has no meaning for a casual US viewer. It was not even noticed. However, an American gold medal prospect can have a huge impact on figure skating popularity, especially when it's delivered by a such marketable athlete like Gracie.
I am not saying she is likely to win OGM in my opinion, but she is a perfect material to create and build up a sellable story around.

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia
^
I wouldn’t be that optimistic. A casual American viewer may care not for Yuna or whoever but they care for fair game more than any other casual viewers I’ve seen. More popularity for figure skating may lead to more knowledge about its specifics and backfire as even greater popularity loss after the coveted medal is bagged :laugh:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Exactly! Except a narrow circle of hard-code fans nobody in the US cares about Yuna

and you think anyone outside of Russia cares about Slopnitkova, ROTFL!! Someone in the U.S hears her name they would probably guess it was a new kind of doggy pooper scooper.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
and you think anyone outside of Russia cares about Slopnitkova, ROTFL!! Someone in the U.S hears her name they would probably guess it was a new kind of doggy pooper scooper.

Wow. Real mature. :rolleye:

There are plenty of people who care about Sotnikova outside of Russia/Russians. Case in point: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...redit-to-Adelina-Sotnikova&highlight=shiffrin

The reality is, even though Sotnikova didn't deserve to win gold, she still delivered excellent Olympics-worthy performances. No juvenile name-calling of yours will change that.

Manitou

Medalist
^
I wouldn’t be that optimistic. A casual American viewer may care not for Yuna or whoever but they care for fair game more than any other casual viewers I’ve seen. More popularity for figure skating may lead to more knowledge about its specifics and backfire as even greater popularity loss after the coveted medal is bagged :laugh:

I may not represent a casual US viewer, but as someone in between the casual viewers and the hard-core fans I can say no "bagged medal" was even noticed. If someone is ignorant to the whole Yuna legend and is not obsessively hooked to her then her performance in Sochi was seen as nothing spectacular. In fact, she was even lucky, because if Yulia and Mao hadn't self-destructed then Yuna wouldn't have been even on the podium.
So on behalf of ignorant viewers I say there was no controversy. Regular people didn't notice anything wrong and even opposite: they observed a beautiful night of magical skating concluded with very satisfying results.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^I think Yuna SP was very spectacular (in terms of a "casual fan" visual perspective, not in terms of levels/scores). I liked her LP too, but I can understand why some people might not. Mao's LP was the performance of the night, but sadly it was never going to be enough after that short program.