Should figure skating be removed from the Olympic games? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Should figure skating be removed from the Olympic games?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Changes can be made to make it more a pure sport but then many of you and me might lose interest. No to OP.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Maybe figure skate should not be categorized as sports, and therefore is not appropriate for Olympic. Clear judge system seems not possible. Besides it is actually used for policital propaganda by some country repeatedly. If people think country with more Olympic medals is superior compared to those with less medals, then figure skate could be used for such assertion. It is not good.

When will these whacks ever shut up. Now they want the marquee event of the games to be removed coz they felt their favorites were underhanded. Maybe in Pyeongchang they can have curling as main event when figure skating is remove.

Manitou

Medalist
When will these whacks ever shut up. Now they want the marquee event of the games to be removed coz they felt their favorites were underhanded. Maybe in Pyeongchang they can have curling as main event when figure skating is remove.

It's kind of destructive behavior little children posses. If I can't play with the toy then I will destroy the toy.

^ I remember two things from high school. All Gaul is divided into three parts and B squared minus four AC. :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Would be kinda scary if she were actually a coach. All of her students must be on Victoria Secret Model standards. :unsure:

And must starve themselves constantly to meet their standards.

^ I remember two things from high school. All Gaul is divided into three parts and B squared minus four AC. :laugh:

The only thing I know about Gaul is Asterix and Obelix.

Rossig

On the Ice
If FS were to be removed from Olympics, its popularity would be even smaller than it is today. I can't imagine who would benefit from such a step.

Manitou

Medalist
If FS were to be removed from Olympics, its popularity would be even smaller than it is today. I can't imagine who would benefit from such a step.

The sinister satisfaction of those who want to kill the sport because their fave didn't win.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/prepositions/qt/PrepositionsAbl.htm

Except "de" takes the ablative, so it would be "de minimis" :slink: Latin memories are overwhelmng me.

:bow: Thanks for catching the typo! Never having taken it in school, that's one of the few Latin phrases in my vocabulary. As a card-carrying elitist (albeit a de minimis one) I really should be able to get the spelling straight. :biggrin:

EDIT: Wow, just saw the rest of the "de minimis" posts. Glad to know my typo created some amusement/diversion! The discussion gave me a good giggle even though I didn't get any of it except for Gaul being divided into 3 parts. In my high school, the conventional wisdom was that Latin was only for geeks and nerds... :slink:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I used to practice my Latin and my magician act on the way to the rehearsals of the debating society's chess club's barbershop quartet.

:laugh: I refused to take Latin in an attempt to escape being branded as a geek. It didn't work.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I used to practice my Latin and my magician act on the way to the rehearsals of the debating society's chess club's barbershop quartet.
And you tried to pass yourself off as obscure the other day.

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
Figure Skating and Hockey stand for approximately 80% of the Winter Olympic's revenue. They are not going to throw it out of the games for that reason alone.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
YES, it definetely should be moved from the Olympics unless there will be a HUGE change in judging before the next Olympics. I don´t wish to see such corrupt judging as in Sochi happened EVER AGAIN. And no major competitions should be held in Russia from now on.

It is now the right time for ISU to clean the stables from corrupt judges (and judges who don´t apparently understand what is happening on the ice). Skaters should be given scores for what they are doing on the ice in that competition and not for what they have done in past.

Better for the sport to be reduced if that is what is needed for the effective change. NO more several persons with a Russian name in one judging panel.

Big Deal

Final Flight
YES, it definetely should be moved from the Olympics unless there will be a HUGE change in judging before the next Olympics. I don´t wish to see such corrupt judging as in Sochi happened EVER AGAIN. And no major competitions should be held in Russia from now on.

It is now the right time for ISU to clean the stables from corrupt judges (and judges who don´t apparently understand what is happening on the ice). Skaters should be given scores for what they are doing on the ice in that competition and not for what they have done in past.

Better for the sport to be reduced if that is what is needed for the effective change. NO more several persons with a Russian name in one judging panel.

Perfectly agree with it.
Without this lovely sport being "decapitate" developing completely new leadership it never will be respectful to athletes and the crowd.
Let's start with that.