What Sports Would You Like To See Added Or Dropped From The Olympics? | Golden Skate

What Sports Would You Like To See Added Or Dropped From The Olympics?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Since the Winter Olympics ended, I have been thinking about the sports that were held, and thinking about what changes I would make.

Sports I Would Add

Alpine Skiing:

Men’s Parallel Slalom
Men’s Parallel Giant Slalom
Women’s Parallel Slalom
Women’s Parallel Giant Slalom

They already had Parallel courses in Sochi for the Snowboarders, so I cannot understand why they did not let the Skiiers use them too!

Men’s Team Competitions (in some/all disciplines)
Women’s Team Competitions (in some/all disciplines)
Mixed Team Competitions (in some/all disciplines. Possibly decided by just adding the results of the Men’s and Women’s Team Competitions)

Nordic Combined:

Men’s Team Big Hill/10km Cross-Country
Women’s Individual Normal Hill/10km Cross-Country
Women’s Individual Big Hill/10km Cross-Country
Women’s Team Normal Hill/10km Cross-Country Relay
Women’s Team Big Hill/10km Cross-Country Relay
Mixed Team Normal Hill/10km Cross-Country Relay (Possibly decided by just adding the results of the Men’s and Women’s Team Competitions)
Mixed Team Big Hill/10km Cross-Country Relay (Possibly decided by just adding the results of the Men’s and Women’s Team Competitions)

Ski Jumping:

Men’s Normal Hill Team Competition
Women’s Individual Normal Hill (with a proper sized entry, not a token 30 like we had in Sochi)
Women’s Individual Big Hill (they may have been controversial in the run-up to being held, but the Big Hill competitions we had at the end of the season were very successful)
Women’s Normal Hill Team Competition
Women’s Big Hill Team Competition
Mixed Normal Hill Team Competition (Possibly decided by just adding the results of the Men’s and Women’s Team Competitions)
Mixed Big Hill Team Competition (Possibly decided by just adding the results of the Men’s and Women’s Team Competitions)

Snowboarding

Men’s Slalom
Men’s Giant Slalom
Women’s Slalom
Women’s Giant Slalom

They already had non-Parallel courses in Sochi for the Skiiers, so I cannot understand why they did not let the Snowboarders use them too!

Sports I Would Drop

Ice Hockey

Now, I realise that this is going to be controversial because it is so popular, but I do agree with Ice Hockey being an Olympic Sport. But, there again, I do not agree with Field Hockey, Football, or Tennis being Olympic Sports in the Summer Games (I would have included Rugby in that list as well, except the IOC agreed with me and dropped it in 1924).

Freestyle Skiing

Aerial Skiing
Ski Half-Pipe
Ski Cross
Slopestyle Skiing

I know that I was interested in the Slopestyle Snowboarding because Aimee Fuller was competing in it. But, when I was watching it, all I could think was “this is an extreme sport. Extreme sports shouldn’t be in the Olympic Games – they have the X Games”. And the same applies to the Freestyle Skiing disciplines I have listed.

Although, I have to admit, I watched a bit of Ski Cross after the Olympics, and I did actually enjoy it. But, it is still an extreme sport rather than an Olympic Sport…

Snowboarding

Snowboard Half-Pipe
Snowboard Cross
Slopestyle Snowboarding

Same reasoning as for Freestyle Skiing. Although, I didn’t realise that there were no Aerial competitions for the Snowboarders in Sochi…

Sports I Am In Mixed Minds About:

Speed Skating

Personally, I don't see the point - I prefer to see my skaters doing fancy things rather than just go around in circles. But, I suppose Speed Skating is the Winter Sports equivalent of Sprinting in Athletics, and nobody in their right mind would dare suggest dropping that from the Summer Olympics.

Synchronised Skating

Although I do appreciate how difficult it must be for all the skaters to perform slickly as a group, I personally don’t like Synchro. But, I can see how it would add something different to the Olympics.

So what do you think? Do you agree with my suggestions? Are there other sports you would like to see added or dropped from the Winter Olympics?

CaroLiza_fan