Canadian pairs news: M-T/M and P/M have split | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Canadian pairs news: M-T/M and P/M have split

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Hah, but the reality is, Osmond has an Olympic silver and Gold has an Olympic bronze, and neither has a World medal. Osmond also has 2 international wins (including a GP), and Gold has none. Also a fact. All your whining and hatred doesn't change these simple facts. :laugh:

Just like your hatred of D/R doesn't change the fact that they have two World medals, and MT/M have none, nor does it change the fact that S/P have a slew of gold medals including a World and Olympic gold, no matter how you desperately and pathetically you attempt to paint them as the worst team ever. :sarcasm:

S/P
1 a questionable OGM
1 Overscored World Gold and deplorable GPF Gold
not much to brag about that

D/R are 7th place finisher in Sochi
lost the SC gold to Berton / Hotarek and was near off the podium
never medaled in GPF even S/H and B/L have done

Gracie had a 4th place finish at Olympics
has placed 6th and 4th at Worlds

Osmond is a 13th finisher at Olympics
and off the Top 10 at Worlds :rolleye:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Re: US pairs/gold, from your keyboard to g***'s ears! I'd settle for any color let alone gold; love pairs and as an American have been saddened that the US hasn't produced any in recent years who can challenge on an international stage.

Nothing against Canadian men, BTW. :)
Well, "winning gold before Canadian men win gold" could still take a long time. Hopefully we'll both be alive to see it. :laugh:

I can't believe I'm admitting this as a Canadian, but I'm almost rooting for USA to win pairs before Canada wins men. The men's curse has gotten so bad I simply find it funny at this point. I mean, I feel bad for Elvis (he really could've won both times, that damn injury in Nagano), but by the time it got to Chan I just sighed and went, "Well, that's such a surprise..." We've got three people who have two Olympic medals each (if we count Chan's team medal), of only about eight men who have won more than one Olympic medal since Dick Button. All six of those medals are silver.

EDIT: Lol, Meoima, you're killing me with the Romance of the Three Kingdoms reference! Also, I should clarify, in light of Pangtongfan's post--I have nothing against the attitudes of Canadian skaters. Not really rooting for our men because I never rooted for people based on nationality. And because of the above (that I've pretty much given up and will be happy to have the joke over the OGM).

tulosai

Record Breaker
You could apply this to skaters from practically every major skating country other than Japan.

Well, but also, it ignores the Canadians who seem to be good sports- MT/M seem to be, Joanni Rochette, Osmond, Tessa Virtue, Weave and Poje, Gillies and Poier, Gabi Daleman, in fact even Duhamel/Radford seem to be good sports. And this is only a list of current (other than Rochette) competitors- if you want me to go back further there is Jose Chenard and many others.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hah, but the reality is, Osmond has an Olympic silver and Gold has an Olympic bronze, and neither has a World medal. Osmond also has 2 international wins (including a GP), and Gold has none. Also a fact. All your whining and hatred doesn't change these simple facts. :laugh:

Just like your hatred of D/R doesn't change the fact that they have two World medals, and MT/M have none, nor does it change the fact that S/P have a slew of gold medals including a World and Olympic gold, no matter how you desperately and pathetically you attempt to paint them as the worst team ever. :sarcasm:

That may be the case but Gold has owned Osmond since Katelyn beat Gracie at SC in 2012.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
in fact even Duhamel/Radford seem to be good sports.

they are delusional at Worlds they were proclaiming in the canadian media
they can beat V/T and will challenge for the gold in Saitama, same in Sochi they will challenge, the nerve of arrogance of this two is horrible :disapp:

tulosai

Record Breaker
they are delusional at Worlds they were proclaiming in the canadian media
they can beat V/T and will challenge for the gold in Saitama, same in Sochi they will challenge, the nerve of arrogance of this two are a horrible :disapp:

Yes BUT, show me one time when they have looked displeased with their score or result, or sad anything negative about their actual placement or about other teams. You can't.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Yes BUT, show me one time when they have looked displeased with their score or result, or sad anything negative about their actual placement or about other teams. You can't.

bragging in the press and media is still arrogance

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
D/R are 7th place finisher in Sochi
lost the SC gold to Berton / Hotarek and was near off the podium
never medaled in GPF even S/H and B/L have done

Gracie had a 4th place finish at Olympics
has placed 6th and 4th at Worlds

Ahem, she was 5th at Worlds... and lucky to be, at that. :rolleye: You can compare Osmond to Gracie all you want dude, but she still has more international wins at this point.

As for trying to diss D/R for losing the SC gold to B/H... Gracie lost the SC gold AND silver after bombing her FS, to end up 3rd... behind Lipnitskaia and Suzuki. She also was ACTUALLY off the podium at NHK, losing yet again to Suzuki (and Radionova). Forget about D/R "never medaling" at the GPF... Gracie Gold hasn't even qualified for the GPF. :rolleye:

B/L and S/H have never medaled at Worlds, so I don't see how that somehow puts them above D/R never having medaled at the GPF. :unsure:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That may be the case but Gold has owned Osmond since Katelyn beat Gracie at SC in 2012.

True, but Osmond has been injured, and had to miss the GP last season so her progress has stagnated. It's actually remarkable that she nailed her first 3F+3T in her World SP considering that.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Canadian figure skaters do not have appalling sportsmanship or attitudes. You are confusing to them with the figure skaters from the classless country immediately to the south of Canada.

Or to the west of them. :sarcasm: (Just kidding.)

Point is, there are good and bad role models from every country, and all competitive athletes have been known to say things or do things that are unbecoming or unsportsmanlike but you can't apply their attitude as the attitude of every Canadian/Russian/American/etc.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
The reason I'm pointing this out Sk8Boi is sky_fly is a Gracie uber who conveniently forgets when her favourite skater has a crappy GP season and fails to medal at Worlds, but does well at the Olympics, but then is so quick to diss D/R when they actually got 2 GP medals, qualified for the GPF, and medaled at Worlds. She is clinging to Gold's 4th place finish in Sochi like it somehow makes her the one to watch (when obviously Julia is). To call D/R "deplorable" when their results have been way better than Gracie Gold... well, what does that make Gracie. For the record, I don't think any of them are "deplorable" skaters, and I like MT/M, D/R, Osmond and Gold... the only deplorable thing I find is sky_fly's attitude and her hypocrisy should be called out.

D/R are pair skater while Gracie a a ladies singles
you were the one who dragged her placements when its a pairs thread
your right it doesn't change the fact D/R are dishonorable pair skaters

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
D/R are pair skater while Gracie a a ladies singles
you were the one who dragged her placements when its a pairs thread
your right it doesn't change the fact D/R are dishonorable pair skaters

It's your opinion that they're dishonourable. And absolutely hilarious coming from someone with your stank attitude with the rudest things to say about skaters. :laugh:

Also, I love how you say crap like D/R haven't even won a GPF medal while B/L and S/H have, and conveniently forget that other skaters you like haven't even made the GPF. And conveniently forget D/R have won World medals (two of them), unlike B/L and S/H.

Whatevs. D/R have won the past two World bronzes, and have won the past 3 Canadian Nationals over MT/M. Sorry if that's hard for you to stomach, but it is what it is.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Stojko, Lloyd Eisler, Scott Moir, Patrick Chan, Sale & Pelletier, Bourne & Kraatz, Manley (just read her book, the butthurt makes you ache). Anymore questions?

LLoyd Eisler was a bit of hot head, but he was also skating at time when there was vote-fixing in the judging system. I liked G&G for their beauty and grace on the ice, but they were overmarked when they made their Olympic comeback considering the errors Sergei made on the jumps.

I do agree that Chan has been arrogant at times and should have focused more on learning to skate a clean LP over the past few seasons rather than listing his accomplishments after every event.

But none of this is that unusual compared to things skaters in other countries say. Since we're Canadian shouldn't we support our figure skaters on the whole unless they say something really unforgivable?

To get back to the original topic, I'm very distressed to hear that M-T/M are breaking up, because they seemed to be climbing through the ranks and had promise for the future. It's hard to stay interested in pairs as a fan when so few pairs, especially from North America, seem to be able to gain traction in terms of international results. Even in Europe and China, many of the most interesting pairs are retiring. It's a real drought in this discipline right now, it seems.

tulosai

Record Breaker
To get back to the original topic, I'm very distressed to hear that M-T/M are breaking up, because they seemed to be climbing through the ranks and had promise for the future. It's hard to stay interested in pairs as a fan when so few pairs, especially from North America, seem to be able to gain traction in terms of international results. Even in Europe and China, many of the most interesting pairs are retiring. It's a real drought in this discipline right now, it seems.

YES it is SO disheartening. I start to like Marley and Brubaker, they rip my heart out. I start to like MT/M, they rip my heart out. It really does start to feel like what's the point.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I agree we should get back on topic. This thread is supposed to be about news on Canadian pairs for next season and which partnerships will be taking place.

I also agree that one of the challenges of being involved with figure skating or being a fan or supporter is that it can be difficult to see the teams we invest in split and go separate ways, particularly if it doesn't happen amicably. Partner switching has become more common in the modern age than was the case several decades ago, but perhaps that is just a reflection of the times.

But as we can see from the reactions above, skaters need to keep in mind that while it is ultimately their decision as to who they partner with, they risk losing the loyalty of their fanbase if they make too many switches.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I agree we should get back on topic. This thread is supposed to be about news on Canadian pairs for next season and which partnerships will be taking place.

I also agree that one of the challenges of being involved with figure skating or being a fan or supporter is that it can be difficult to see the teams we invest in split and go separate ways, particularly if it doesn't happen amicably. Partner switching has become more common in the modern age than was the case several decades ago, but perhaps that is just a reflection of the times.

But as we can see from the reactions above, skaters need to keep in mind that while it is ultimately their decision as to who they partner with, they risk losing the loyalty of their fanbase if they make too many switches.

Yes, but even still, the teams who tend to medal, at least at major events usually have been together for AT LEAST a whole cycle. In dance, this is even more true and the 'winning' teams have usually been together a LONG time. I frankly don't understand how split-happy a lot of teams seem to be, ESPECIALLY in North America, and there especially in the USA. It is as though they expect instant results (instant=within 2 seasons) and when they fail to get this they move on to the next train wreck, giving it a go for 2 seasons and when not winning world medals, giving up and trying the next partner, almost like they are switching pairs of shoes.

By way of illustration, at the Olympic games in 2010 and 2014, the top pairs:

2014: V/T together 4 years. However, they had really ABNORMALLY fast and good results, almost UNIQUELY so in how quickly they gelled. They are definitely an anomoly.
S/K together 5 years of which they spent 2 in juniors, and only really started getting great results this year, their 5th year together.
S/S together 11 years, did not start getting good results until their third year together.

2010: Shen/Xhao: Had been together 18 years. It took them 6 years to get anything resembling good results .
Pang/Tong: Had been together 17 years. Incidentally were 4th in 2014 having been together 21 years. Were together 8 years before starting to get really good results.
S/S: At this time had been together 7 years.

the top Ice Dance:

1st and 2nd: V/M D/W in whatever order. Both together 13 and then 17 years. Both many years before excellent results, but D/W especially so.
3rd: DomShabs: Together 8 years. 5 years before great results.
3rd: I/K. Together 6 years + a few years as children. Only started getting great results this year, their 6th together.