Tatiana Tarasova's choreography | Golden Skate

Tatiana Tarasova's choreography

Meoima

Match Penalty
Hello, I just want to ask you guys' opinions about Tarasova's choreography.

Personally I am not her fan, but I respect her achievements. Even though people think she has somewhat gone senile, in my opinion, she is still one of the best choreographers out there.:)

I really like some of her works, for Yagudin especially. Her choreography often work so well with Mao, maybe their style match each other. I like her works for Mao's FS this season. It was wonderful. :) (even though I am fed up with Rachmaninoff).

On the other hand, her choreography for Adelina last season (Carmen and Aguilera's) were kinda bad I just want to forget! :unsure:

So, in your opinion, which of her choreography that you think are among the best? Which of her are among the worst?

BONUS for Ghibli's fan :biggrin:: http://rinkwatchers.tumblr.com/post/77859786792/tatiana-tarasova-reminds-me-of-yubaba-so-much

urara

Rinkside
I love all of her works for Mao, especially her EX such as Por Una Cabeza, Caprice and Ballad No.1.

So, I wondered what happened to her choreography for Adelina:scratch:

volk

Final Flight
Is she the best Russian choreographer now? After Averbukh's Schindler's list I'm not so sure.:scratch:

noskates

Record Breaker
Winter was masterful and probably Tarasova's best program IMO. I just watched the Youtube again last night. Of course Yagudin's feet move only secondary to Kurt Browning's when it comes to quickness and agility. It took an exceptionally gifted skater to pull that program off. The music, the costume, throwing ice in the air, everything was just beautiful.

Adelina? Meh. But then if I'm not mistaken, no one really expected her to even medal at the Olys based on her past sloppy and inconsistent programs. Maybe Tarasova's genius only comes forth when she has a real contender?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Adelina? Meh. But then if I'm not mistaken, no one really expected her to even medal at the Olys based on her past sloppy and inconsistent programs. Maybe Tarasova's genius only comes forth when she has a real contender?
Especially that long program with Aguilera's voice cracking in the background!! :unsure:

Anyways, what kind of costume is this???? Tarasova has gone senile when it comes to costume choice (barring anything she said about Kim Yuna's costume), I am afraid so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNfvjc4jLJ8

Comes to think of it, Tarasova's choreography also worked with Shizuka Arakawa to some extent, not memorable but not so bad, just kinda so so.

Other from programs she designed for Yagudin, anyone remember other memorable programs that Tarasova worked with other male skaters? Nothing comes to my mind at this moment. :scratch:

ks777

Record Breaker
I hate her choreography. She ruined Mao for me. Anyways, her assistants usually do all the choreography for Tarasova.. isn't that the truth?

aschiutza

On the Ice
Especially that long program with Aguilera's voice cracking in the background!! :unsure:

Anyways, what kind of costume is this???? Tarasova has gone senile when it comes to costume choice (barring anything she said about Kim Yuna's costume), I am afraid so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNfvjc4jLJ8

Comes to think of it, Tarasova's choreography also worked with Shizuka Arakawa to some extent, not memorable but not so bad, just kinda so so.

Other from programs she designed for Yagudin, anyone remember other memorable programs that Tarasova worked with other male skaters? Nothing comes to my mind at this moment. :scratch:

Kulik's programs

I love his R&J program. also Libestraum was beautiful. But his Gershin program at oly... i find it quite frankly his worst choreo ever.

Wasn't Tarasova doing the programs also for Griazev or was Yagudin or Morozov?

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Asada's Rachmaninov had superb choreography.

Sotnikova's on the other hand...what the heck was up with that strange robot-move in the middle of her program?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I like her programs. But I think the Winter was made by Morozov.. or just the famous footwork?

I really liked Mao's Swan LP in last year.

Alba

Record Breaker
Hello, I just want to ask you guys' opinions about Tarasova's choreography.

Personally I am not her fan, but I respect her achievements. Even though people think she has somewhat gone senile, in my opinion, she is still one of the best choreographers out there.:)

I really like some of her works, for Yagudin especially. Her choreography often work so well with Mao, maybe their style match each other. I like her works for Mao's FS this season. It was wonderful. :) (even though I am fed up with Rachmaninoff).

On the other hand, her choreography for Adelina last season (Carmen and Aguilera's) were kinda bad I just want to forget! :unsure:

So, in your opinion, which of her choreography that you think are among the best? Which of her are among the worst?

BONUS for Ghibli's fan :biggrin:: http://rinkwatchers.tumblr.com/post/77859786792/tatiana-tarasova-reminds-me-of-yubaba-so-much

I love her and her choreo. that she did for her skaters in general.

I don't think she is Adelina's choreo. I think she is a some kind of consulant but not her choreo.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Tarasova is probably like most other choreographers: some hits, some misses. Unless you're Rohene Ward, who is all hits, or Lori Nichol, who is lately all misses.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Tarasova is probably like most other choreographers: some hits, some misses. Unless you're Rohene Ward, who is all hits, or Lori Nichol, who is lately all misses.

Or hits if the skater fits her style. The work she did with Yagudin and Kulik was great and she transformed G&P but she was absolutely dreadful for Gordeeva and Grinkov.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I've always loved her style, but it is a template Russian ballet style that may be too heavy for some. Prime example would be Mao Asada's 2008-10 phase. Those programs were likely the more divisive in her career because they were like clothes that didn't fit quite right: more like the choreography was wearing her rather than her owning the movements. That being said, paired with the right material it worked beautifully if it combined drama and delicacy for her. Prime examples of this for Mao were Tarasova's Swan Lake and Rach 2 free skates.

Otherwise I enjoy the programs she created, but they had to fit a certain skater's style to really work magic. Too many to name here but off the top of my head (Mao examples aside) she created magic for Yagudin in the SLC season.

Alba

Record Breaker
Or hits if the skater fits her style. The work she did with Yagudin and Kulik was great and she transformed G&P but she was absolutely dreadful for Gordeeva and Grinkov.

Did she work with G&G? I didn't know that....She worked with K&P.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
"Winter"-Yagudin (though I believe much of that was done by Morozov)
I also enjoyed the Bolero SP she did for Lysacek that he won 2009 Worlds with.

Meoima

Match Penalty
"Winter"-Yagudin (though I believe much of that was done by Morozov)
I also enjoyed the Bolero SP she did for Lysacek that he won 2009 Worlds with.
I guess lots of her so-called programs were done by her students/assistants. But she would be the one who gave the initial ideas and some touch for a more polished programs.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
I guess lots of her so-call programs were done by her students/assistents. But she would be the one who gave the initial ideas and some touch for a more polished programs.

That can be said of many choreographers in the skating world (at least the older ones). Zueva comes to mind recently as doing the same thing.
Tarasova has choreographed many programs herself, but there are a few that her assistants added to such as with Yagudin's "Winter" SP. :)

GypsyFe

On the Ice
A few years back I was privilefged to have Tarasova training her group right here by me in NJ. That was during the time Yagudin was at his peak...and she had Morozov as an assistant. I went each day & watched the practices/training sessions. My feeling then was that Morozov did most of the choreography and refinement of hands, arms, expression, etc. He would be the one demonstrating and showing how to do it. Also, Yvgeni and Maya Usova were training as pros and there too it seemed Morozov's dance background that was utilized extensively.
No elite skaters are training here now to my knowledge and I havent been close to the skating environment lately - especially since we lost so much on TV. I do miss it.