American Top Skating Official reacts to Cinquanta Proposals | Page 3 | Golden Skate

American Top Skating Official reacts to Cinquanta Proposals

cooper

Medalist
The logic then: it's now the time for Korea to accomplish what they should accomplish?

south korea should put 2 koreans in the technical panel (one who pretends to represent south korea) both in the sp and the lp..and 1 more in the lp..with asking yuri balkov the known cheater to cheat for them this time..that's a total of 4.. after all the south korean skating federation is one of the biggest feds in figure skating.. oh wait..

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
south korea should put 2 koreans in the technical panel (one who pretends to represent south korea) both in the sp and the lp..and 1 more in the lp..with asking yuri balkov the known cheater to cheat for them this time..that's a total of 4.. after all the south korean skating federation is one of the biggest feds in figure skating.. oh wait..

I'm confused now.....I thought we were against this? Isn't that what the petition was about. I would say if Korea did what they accuse others of than double shame on them. Which is worse really? :think:

shizuzzang

Spectator

And....they should include north Korean (actually represent south Korea ) in this nasty scenario..;)
Korean fed always put speed skates and short track first. They don't care what happen in figure skating.

Alba

Record Breaker
The talk about Lillehammer is very different.

As I've said before.

Close results that could have gone either way are very good for the sport, they're a favorite topic of fans who like to explore different 'what if?' scenarios. As long as fans trust that the judges are honest.

No it's not a discussion "what if" is about controversy and conspiracy, as usual. Some people will never be happy.

Had the judging been more transparent, maybe her victory wouldn't be tainted by 'skating while Russian' suspicions. But the big problem is that if a knowledgeable fan watches both performances they're really close. But the judges' marks aren't close. Sotnikova had won before Kim skated. If fans aren't prone to trust that the judges are honest then they're gonna be suspicious and the innocent skater is the one who's going to feel the brunt of the suspicion

I still fail to understand what Sotnikova got to do with all this. All she did is skate the best she could.

Alba

Record Breaker
Which wasn't as good as her marks were.

That's your opinion and I respect that. Still, I don't understand what Adelina got to do with the scoring? My question is simple really but you are not able to answer that. You keep talking about the judges.

Mafke

Medalist
That's your opinion and I respect that. Still, I don't understand what Adelina got to do with the scoring? My question is simple really but you are not able to answer that. You keep talking about the judges.

The question is: Can the fans trust the judges are doing an honest job and not trying to influence the competition one way or another?

The answer before 2002 was mostly 'yes'.

The answer since then has been much more difficult to answer.

In terms of results. No one's interested in slam dunk victories in the long term. People are interested in very close contests where a slightly different panel of judges might have judged things slightly differently.

It's easy to imagine Boitano/Orser or Baiul/Kerrigan or GG/MD or even Lipinski/Kwan (not to mention Lysacek/Plushenko) turning out differently for completely legitimate reasons with all the judges doing their honest best.

But.. since 2002 many fans (including me) have lost any faith whatsoever that judges are doing their honest best and that makes some results kind of.... suspect.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Alba

Record Breaker
The question is: Can the fans trust the judges are doing an honest job and not trying to influence the competition one way or another?

I'm sorry but your comment
Had the results in Sochi been more transparent then maybe there wouldn't be so much negative feeling toward Sotnikova

Therefore, my reply and question was
That's stupid though isn't it? I mean what does Sotnikova got to do with the scoring?

So yes, it's hard to understand the "negative feeling" towards a skater who didn't gave the scores to herself.
I don't agree with many of the scores that Chan has been receiving, but to have negative feelings or even hate (as it looks towards Adelina in some cases) that's just plain stupid.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
You can't though. There are many Fed's under speed skating because they are small or don't have enough funds to have their own FS Fed.

I understand what your saying but having figure skating governed by a speed skater hasn't really helped the sport in the last decade.

Alba

Record Breaker
I understand what your saying but having figure skating governed by a speed skater hasn't really helped the sport in the last decade.

I fully agree. Just saying that is gonna be hard, if not impossible, to separate the FS from Speed skating. Also, the changes and choosing the president of ISU it depends a lot on other Fed's as well.
Blatter, for example, won the FIFA chair thanks to the small Fed's like almost all African countries. It doesn't matter that Germany, England, Brasil, Italy etc. are bigger Fed's and have a huge tradition of football.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is an interesting and informative topic.

Please don't turn it into a "Sochi Ladies Results" thread.

There are plenty of threads open for that debate, and those who aren't sick to death of it can argue there all you want.