Yevgeny Plushenko wants to compete again, agent says | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yevgeny Plushenko wants to compete again, agent says

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't know why he would put his body through this anymore. He is going to be even more susceptible to back injuries as he gets older. I suppose he may have been motivated by the fact that the top men, despite their tremendous ability, just aren't good competitors. Two clean programs from Plushenko would have won him the gold medal anywhere if the top men skated as they did in Sochi.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
He's turning into the Rolling Stones of figure skating. I swore I thought the RS Steel Wheels tour (or whatever they called it) meant they would be pushing Mick onstage in a wheelchair. "Jumpin' Jack Flash" indeed.

;)

rosacotton

Final Flight
Not surprised at all about this. He makes me think of the Energizer Bunny, keeps going and going... Though I worry about his health if he comes back.

tulosai

Record Breaker
And I want to miraculously become independently wealthy and never go to work again.

He can want whatever crazy thing he wants. It won't happen and if it does.all i can say is that with all my heart i hope he doesn't become parylized because i fear that is where this is going.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Yes :) or in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FXTsOu8NqQ Rudkovskaya-Goncharov-Plushenko-dance he can do it!

That sounds complicated!
Seriously though, I doubt he'll switch to dance, he'll have to learn different basics in a short period of time, and try lifts. Not to say he can't do it well, but to get to the elite level in dance in just one quad with almost no history of it? Maybe unlikely, as much fun as the idea was in theory!

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Considering he won the men's event in Sochi with the lowest BV in the FS maybe he IS bionic :laugh:

Maybe he can go for Bronze at Sochi Wolds in 2017, Or maybe more ;)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
That sounds complicated!
Seriously though, I doubt he'll switch to dance, he'll have to learn different basics in a short period of time, and try lifts. Not to say he can't do it well, but to get to the elite level in dance in just one quad with almost no history of it? Maybe unlikely, as much fun as the idea was in theory!

I was hoping he'd move to Japan and skate pairs with Mao. (Historic?) side-by-side triple axels? :laugh::laugh:

(100% joke of course, learning pairs might be even harder than ice dance, and twice as dangerous.)

LRK

Record Breaker
Just the word "lift" makes me cringe for his poor back.... He and Mao can do the side-by-side 3As in shows, though. :)

(Side note - I swear there was a routine he and Mao did together in a show - no side-by-side 3As :) - where he was wearing a red shirt and black trousers, and she was in a silver top and black skirt... alas, that is all I remember, really, other than being fairly sure the show was in Japan - and I can't seem to find it when I search Youtube... sigh.)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Just the word "lift" makes me cringe for his poor back.... He and Mao can do the side-by-side 3As in shows, though. :)

(Side note - I swear there was a routine he and Mao did together in a show - no side-by-side 3As :) - where he was wearing a red shirt and black trousers, and she was in a silver top and black skirt... alas, that is all I remember, really, other than being fairly sure the show was in Japan - and I can't seem to find it when I search Youtube... sigh.)
I've seen gifs of that too! They did side-by-side double axels, I think. I can't find a video of it anywhere either... I think it was The Ice 2010 but I'm not sure.

Call to other posters: if anyone can find a video of the routine, LRK and I will be really grateful! ;)

And eek, I know, lifts... I don't think they'd be worse than quads though (that's not saying much...). He does have the advantage of being fairly tall for a singles skater (versus, say, someone like Dai trying to switch to pairs... though best wishes to Dai if he wants to do that).

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

There are gifs of this on Tumblr and the tags say it's from The Ice 2010 show. I haven't been able to find the video either. :eek:hwell:

http://happpppy.tumblr.com/post/13579699480

He had a bit of previous experience as well...here he is at summer camp (1996) skating pairs. :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ze1WWyEZzk

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And eek, I know, lifts... I don't think they'd be worse than quads though (that's not saying much...). He does have the advantage of being fairly tall for a singles skater (versus, say, someone like Dai trying to switch to pairs... though best wishes to Dai if he wants to do that).

Lifts would probably be worse because it would be a different direction of force on his already-fragile back.

Tall for a singles skater, yes. But very short for a pairs man.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Lifts would probably be worse because it would be a different direction of force on his already-fragile back.

Tall for a singles skater, yes. But very short for a pairs man.

Nah, really he is about average for a pairs man... he is the same height as Dylan Moscovich, taller than Robin Szolkowy, Marvin Tran and Rockne Brubaker. Many many pairs men are 5'11" which is just 1" taller than him. Height would not be the issue.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

That was deleted on Youtube. But if you really want to see the video you can http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dv5565zm447m72m ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi2hSPGHyXc montage about Mao and Plushy. In that time many FS fans called them "Maoshenko" .
How to learn their number and Plushy said his famous sentence in Japanese language: I can skate a little https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi2hSPGHyXc&t=0m49s

Plushy asked a kiss from Mao in 2010 at Vancouver in a practice and in this show Plushy kissed Mao's head. Japan was so surprised because of it! :biggrin:

LRK

Record Breaker
@Sandpiper - See! It's been so long since I saw it that I didn't even remember that they did side-by-side jumps at all... Sigh...

@galiavich - Thanks! :) As for the 1996 one, I'd seen that before - but ended up watching it again - he really went for it, didn't he? :)

@plushyfan - Well, the vid seems to have gone from there as well. Unless the link, when I clicked on it, lied. Well, it doesn't matter I suppose, as I really don't know much about downloading and our computer is on its last legs anyway, and may die on us any day... (sour grapist) Thanks for the other links as well, though! :)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
@plushyfan - Well, the vid seems to have gone from there as well. Unless the link, when I clicked on it, lied. Well, it doesn't matter I suppose, as I really don't know much about downloading and our computer is on its last legs anyway, and may die on us any day... (sour grapist) Thanks for the other links as well, though! :)

Oh, sorry..I bring it from Plushy's official website... I didn't check it.. :(

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Aww, too bad the video's gone. Thanks anyway, plushyfan. I wouldn't have even known where to start looking. Maybe we'll find it some other time!

@LRK Off topic, but sorry to hear about your computer.