Scottish bid to bring World Figure Skating Championships to Glasgow in 2017 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Scottish bid to bring World Figure Skating Championships to Glasgow in 2017

RABID

Final Flight
This is WAAAAYYYY off topic, but since you were talking about actors, I was wondering if you realised that British Eurosport's figure skating commentator Simon Reed is the younger brother of the late actor Oliver Reed.

I know we don't get to see Simon on screen, but if you saw him, you would know instantly that he was Oliver's brother:

Simon
Oliver

Just thought you would find this interesting.

CaroLiza_fan

I certainly do. Oliver Reed, Richard Harris, Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton.... they don't make them like that anymore; hardcore working class Brits (the British Isles anyway) who knew how to quote The Bard and live the life.:biggrin:

I certainly do. Oliver Reed, Richard Harris, Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton.... they don't make them like that anymore; hardcore working class Brits (the British Isles anyway) who knew how to quote The Bard and live the life.:biggrin:

And Michael Caine. Can't leave him out! Thank goodness he's still with us.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I certainly do. Oliver Reed, Richard Harris, Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton....they don't make them like that anymore; hardcore working class Brits (the British Isles anyway) who knew how to quote The Bard and live the life.:biggrin:

Not only The Bard...I fell in love with Dylan Thomas thanks to a high school English teacher who played Burton's recording of "A Child's Christmas in Wales" for us. Lordy, what a voice! I'd follow it into Hades and back.

TMC

Record Breaker
Update: the 2017 Worlds will be in Finland, likely Helsinki.

Yay for me as it's only an hour or so by train from where I live!

But :unsure: was this the reason Finland (and Sweden, who was also bidding) voted to keep anonymous judging............shame on them!

ETA: Also, Great Britain voted against, so Glasgow lost the bid because...........:unsure:

Trewyn

Medalist
I would have loved Worlds in Glasgow :( At least they are still in Europe. Helsinki will be a lot more expensive and Glasgow would have been a nice change. Perhaps the whole Scottish independence campaign made Glasgow Worlds a liability?

TMC

Record Breaker
I would have loved Worlds in Glasgow :( At least they are still in Europe. Helsinki will be a lot more expensive and Glasgow would have been a nice change. Perhaps the whole Scottish independence campaign made Glasgow Worlds a liability?

I hope so! I don't think the indy campaign would have made a difference, I suspect it really comes down to a hallway meeting along the lines of "So you're bidding for 2017? Are you voting against anonymous judging? Ahaaaaaaaa..." *makes note in little black book* "....lemme get back to you on that!" *pulls Finland rep's sleeve* ..."So, you're bidding for 2017....."

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Finland for 2017. That said, I hope that Glasgow gets to host it eventually (how about in 2018?)! :biggrin: