Throwback Thursday Kimmie Meissner 2006 Worlds | Golden Skate

Throwback Thursday Kimmie Meissner 2006 Worlds

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I just went down memory lane on You Tube and came across this huge win for Kimmie. I remember everyone thinking Sasha was guaranteed the gold due to Shizuka not being in the competition. Who would have thought Kimmie would rise to the occasion and not just medal but WIN! Two solid 3/3's and a 2/2/2 right at the end. I know the choreography is lacking and her spiral extensions are weak( I don't think the music suited her very well). But boy did she ever lay it down, I really don't think Sasha saw that coming.

It is sad that Kimmie could never quite get that fire back but she will always be a world champion. Anyway, just thought I'd share. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1VaoEWyBeQ

That was wonderful!

It was such a lovely result for Kimmie. I'm glad she'll always have that achievement. And to date, isn't she the last American lady to do so well internationally? So she's still an important factor in skating history. There has to be a certain satisfaction for her in that.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
I never was a big fan of hers, but I loved how she had such relatively unique (for figure skating) music choices over the years. Especially in 2006. Symphonic Dances by Rachmaninov and Queen of Sheba by Respighi aren't things you hear all the time.

Meoima

Match Penalty
It's eight year already. I hope Gracie can make it to the podium next year. Finger cross for her!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I never was a big fan of hers, but I loved how she had such relatively unique (for figure skating) music choices over the years. Especially in 2006. Symphonic Dances by Rachmaninov and Queen of Sheba by Respighi aren't things you hear all the time.
:thumbsup: I am still kind of :confused: every time I watch her programs, since the music is never what we're used to see in FS

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
That music is so cinematic to me. It reminds me of the music you'd hear in old MGM biblical epics lol

This is a very exciting and inspired performance, except for the wobbly spiral and the lame "Walk like an Egyptian" poses :p I was always sad that injury forced her into retirement because she seems like a very nice girl.

crazydreamer

On the Ice
I liked Kimmie. Was she forced to retire due to injuries? I know she had some issues in the years following her World Championship win, but it seemed to me she retired too early. Lots of skaters come back after a few years of disappointing performances. I think she probably could have as well.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
It was such a lovely result for Kimmie. I'm glad she'll always have that achievement. And to date, isn't she the last American lady to do so well internationally? So she's still an important factor in skating history. There has to be a certain satisfaction for her in that.

She and Sasha were the last American women to medal at Worlds.

Enero

On the Ice
Wow has it really been 8 years since an US woman medaled at Worlds? What a shame.

This win was bitter sweet for me, I was so syked about Kimmie's win and was hoping it would be the start of a really successful skating career that led to more National and World titles. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

It was bitter because even with minimal competition Sasha couldn't pull herself together to win. SMH. It was very sad and disappointing to see. That world title was hers to lose and she barely made it on the podium. So frustrating. The story of her skating career.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I liked Kimmie. Was she forced to retire due to injuries? I know she had some issues in the years following her World Championship win, but it seemed to me she retired too early. Lots of skaters come back after a few years of disappointing performances. I think she probably could have as well.
This was probably her last very good program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6Sm9WMRN88 After that WC, it was a downhill path for her :cry: Does anyone specifically remember what led her to retirement in 2009-2010? She didn't want to wait another four years for an Olympic chance?

This was probably her last very good program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6Sm9WMRN88 After that WC, it was a downhill path for her :cry: Does anyone specifically remember what led her to retirement in 2009-2010? She didn't want to wait another four years for an Olympic chance?

I have a vague recollection that one or more chronic injuries were involved. They made it hard for her to train. Because she grew some, she lost some of her jumps, but if she had been able to train in a more sustained way, I imagine she could have overcome that. The injury/injuries complicated matters.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Wow has it really been 8 years since an US woman medaled at Worlds? What a shame.

This win was bitter sweet for me, I was so syked about Kimmie's win and was hoping it would be the start of a really successful skating career that led to more National and World titles. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Crazy, huh? I was in high school the last time a woman medaled (and if you'll look slightly to the left, when I joined GS!) and I now have a master's degree.

FishOutOfWater

Rinkside
I always loved Kimmie's winning performance in '06. Post-Olympic worlds can often lack energy, but this was an exception. She brought everything she had to that skate with gutso! Such a shame that injuries derailed her.