Splits, retirements, and new teams 2014-15 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Splits, retirements, and new teams 2014-15

Dramahkween

On the Ice
From Danielle Montalbano's Facebook page...Official announcement not too far behind I hope :)

"I have had a long 2 years, ups and downs.. (more ups) I wasn't sure I was going to be able to continue doing what I love, with injuries, emotions, finances.. then came a decision. I'm glad to say my ankle is 100% healed, my mind is strong and I have a few more dreams to fulfill and plenty of hard work and fighting spirits left in my mind, body and soul. On July 7th I will move to Florida to start the next chapter of my amazing journey, which will be in pairs once again. thank you to my amazing family and boyfriend for supporting me through everything!"

Robin26

Rinkside
From Danielle Montalbano's Facebook page...Official announcement not too far behind I hope :)

"I have had a long 2 years, ups and downs.. (more ups) I wasn't sure I was going to be able to continue doing what I love, with injuries, emotions, finances.. then came a decision. I'm glad to say my ankle is 100% healed, my mind is strong and I have a few more dreams to fulfill and plenty of hard work and fighting spirits left in my mind, body and soul. On July 7th I will move to Florida to start the next chapter of my amazing journey, which will be in pairs once again. thank you to my amazing family and boyfriend for supporting me through everything!"

Danielle is one if the most dedicated hard working young ladies I have ever had the pleasure of watching in all my years of following skating. Yes there have been many many hard workers, many injuries, many split partnerships, broken dreams, but I have see few that have handled with such grace . She never lets onto her struggles. And on top of it all ,she has the loyalty to het country to remain. Good luck Danielle and your new partner. Stay healthy!!!

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Yes, she did. I wonder if they are in Moscow just for the summer and then will return to Lyon to train with Muriel in September?

I wonder who their coach is in Moscow. Both of his former coaches are out of the country for their training camps and the only ones still around are Zhulin and his mom, who took over the blue bird club dance program when Kustarova moved to another rink.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Never heard tell of them before, but thought I would add them to this thread just in case somebody else had.

American Ice Dancers Rebecca Lucas and Yan Kazansky have split, and she has now teamed up with Kazakhstan's Tima Yerzhanov.

Rebecca and Yan had finished 6th in Novice Ice Dance at the 2013 American Nationals.

Rebecca and Tima are being coached by John Kerr, which is why I heard about this new partnership! ;) Yesterday, John posted this photo of them after their first competition together:

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net...0_10154271089430385_3419107338726947915_n.jpg

Don't know anything else about the competition (where it was, what level, how many entries, etc), but getting a medal at your first competition together is pretty good!

CaroLiza_fan

paircheck

Final Flight
the german ice dance couple

Tanja Kolbe/Stefano Caruso SPLIT

they had truobles where their wanna Train in Berlin or Milano

sad for Germany!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

sad for Germany!

Oh no. At least they still have Nelli and Alexander for a short time anyway (I haven't heard about any retirement plans, but he's getting up there in age).

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker

sad for Germany!

Aw, sorry to hear that. I thought they were quite promising when I saw them the last season.

Dramahkween

On the Ice

Robin26

Rinkside
Posted on Absolute Skating:
For Danielle Montalbano the road has been rocky, as you could read in our interview last season: http://www.absoluteskating.com/interviews/2013daniellemontalbano.html
But there is good news! She has found a new partner in Daniel Raad! They will be coached by Lyndon Johnston and Jim Peterson, with Galit Chait remaining on the coaching team as well.

Link to post: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=748756708508403

Great News! Keep us posted ! I think this will be a great pairing!!

Country
Russia
Sofia BIRYUKOVA now is pair skater with partner Alexander Stepanov (also formerly single skater).
They pactice in Nina Mozer's group.

http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20140606/750572760.html (Russian)

Biryukova was really good at season 2011/2012, but at the end of season had injury and after that has not really high results (she was 17th and 12th at RusNats). At 2013/2014 she looked some better, won Winter Universiade. But because of very high level of new leaders of Team Russia in female skating she hardly could be in Russian top. So she went to pair skating.
Nina Mozer told that she wanted Biryukova to pair skating 6 years ago.

hanca

Record Breaker
But considering the number of potentially decent pairs in Russia, she won't have there any better chance than she would have in ladies. I ladies she at least could qualify to the nationals. In pairs only 12 pairs qualify and she would be lucky if she will be among them.

Country
Russia
But considering the number of potentially decent pairs in Russia, she won't have there any better chance than she would have in ladies. I ladies she at least could qualify to the nationals. In pairs only 12 pairs qualify and she would be lucky if she will be among them.
Katarina Gerboldt was 21 when she went to pair skating, Biryukova is 19.
Gerboldt in pair with Enbert were 4th at Russian Nationals (twice), had GP Events and Euro.

Biryukova has a chance in pairs. Of course, no warranty, but chance.

hanca

Record Breaker
Katarina Gerboldt was 21 when she went to pair skating, Biryukova is 19.
Gerboldt in pair with Enbert were 4th at Russian Nationals (twice), had GP Events and Euro.

Biryukova has a chance in pairs. Of course, no warranty, but chance.

I don't think this is about age. It is about the level of competition at any given time. Gerboldt-Enbert were lucky that at that time there were not so many pairs in Russia. Whereas now, there are quite a few that have a huge advantage over pair Biriukova (complete beginner in pairs) paired up with any unknown partner.

Let's count it:
Tatiana Volosozhar / Maxim Trankov
Ksenia Stolbova / Fedor Klimov
Julia Antipova / Nodari Maisuradze
Yuko Kavaguti / Alexander Smirnov
Evgenia Tarasova/Vladimir Morozov
Maria Vygalova/Egor Zakroev
Lina Fedorova/Maxim Miroshkin
Vera Bazarova / Andrey Deputat
Vasilisa Davankova/ Aleksander Enbert
Kristina Astakhova/ Alexei Rogonov
Natalia Zabijako /Yuri Larionov
Arina Chernivskaya/Antonio Souza-Kordyeru

That's 12 pairs already and all of them have much bigger chance to get to nationals than someone who has never done pairs and partner we have never heard of. If you think she has a chance in pairs to even get to the nationals, please tell me who do you think from those above she would beat?

And then there is more:
Anastasia Martiusheva/Alexander Korovin
Angelina Jekaterinina/Ivan Bich
Kamila Gainetdinova - Sergey Alekseev
Daria Popova/Andrei Novoselov
Ekaterina Borisova / Sergey Lisev
Anastasia Gubanova - Alexei Sintsov

I would say those have also advantage over Biriukova/Stepanov because they have competed in pairs and at least one partner is experienced.

Sofia Biriukova/Alexander Stepanov will be very likely one of the crowd trying to get there but not quite making it. The same as she would be now in singles.

Country
Russia
^Maybe you are right.

But what we see - Sofia Biryukova solved that she has a chance in pairs.