Official agenda of the upcoming ISU Congress | Golden Skate

Official agenda of the upcoming ISU Congress

FS.Addict

Rinkside
Besides the elimination of anonymous judging, there are also proposals to:
1. change every free skate duration to 4 minutes (and 7 jumps instead of 8 for the men)
2. change the PCs factors so they are the same for men and ladies
3. allow only two repetitions of each double (including double axel)
4. count ChSq even if executed before the StSq
5. allow triple twist in junior pairs short program
6. up the age limit for junior pairs and ice dance (21 instead of 20 for the men)
7. EDIT : can't find the proposal anymore, i'm confused... maybe it didn't understand the right thing !
8. count a triple that is repeated but not combined as a jump executed alone and just give 70% of the base value, instead of counting it as a sequence
9. remove the choreographic sequence of the pairs free program
10. give 30 seconds and not 60 seconds for the skater to take his starting position (but 60 seconds for the first skater of the flight)

(These are the ones i remember and that i found more interesting ; i read it very quickly)

CarneAsada

Medalist
- change every free skate duration to 4 minutes (and 7 jumps instead of 8 for the men)
- change the PCs factors so they are the same for men and ladies
- allow only two repetitions of each doubles (including double axel)
- count ChSq even if executed before the StSq
1. Meh.
2. If they do (1), then they should do (2) as well.
3. So skaters are pretty much required to do both 2T and 2Lo? They'd need to reevaluate the way extra jumps get invalidated. It would be so stupid if a skater gets an entire, say, 3A-2T combination invalidated just because he/she did one too many 2T.
4. Finally...

FS.Addict

Rinkside
1. Meh.
2. If they do (1), then they should do (2) as well.
3. So skaters are pretty much required to do both 2T and 2Lo? They'd need to reevaluate the way extra jumps get invalidated. It would be so stupid if a skater gets an entire, say, 3A-2T combination invalidated just because he/she did one too many 2T.
4. Finally...

Well i added some proposals that were made if you wanna comment them too :)

I agree with you on everything except for 3. i think skaters shouldn't be allowed to repeat double axel more than two times, as the number of rotations is the same as in triple jumps, but in fact, i think ISU want to see more 3-3 combos and variety of jumps.

Meoima

Match Penalty
1. change every free skate duration to 4 minutes (and 7 jumps instead of 8 for the men)
6. up the age limit for junior pairs and ice dance (21 instead of 20 for the men)
7. limitate the numbers of lifts in the choreography for pairs so viewers can make the difference between pairs and ice dance (from what i understood)***
8. count a triple that is repeated but not combined as a jump executed alone and just give 70% of the base value, instead of counting it as a sequence
10. give 30 seconds and not 60 seconds for the skater to take his starting position (but 60 seconds for the first skater of the flight)
(These are the ones i remember and that i found more interesting ; i read it very quickly)
1 - No. I see no reason for men to executing all the elements in the same duration as women.
2 - No.
3 - okay
4 - no
5 - No
6 - no
7 - great idea
8 - okay
9 - okay
10 - okay

GF2445

Record Breaker
The amount of times i see 'the coumcil is not in favor of this' drives me mad.
I have friends who would turn this into a drinking game if they had the chance.

Baxel

Rinkside
The amount of times i see 'the coumcil is not in favor of this' drives me mad.
I have friends who would turn this into a drinking game if they had the chance.

The number of times that ISU gets to make a comment on their own members proposals is perplexing. And yes, most of them are 'not in favour'. So much for the members having input you'd have to think.

GF2445

Record Breaker
The isu has control over ballet on ice and ice theatre yet they do not seem to capitalise on this yet they punish those who try to do ut to promote the sport.

This is more of a speed skating issue
Another surprising thing is that they rejected a proposal to develop skatecross (the ice equivelent of ski cross or snowboard cross). It generates a tonne of revenue and it would be exciting to watch. It is currently spnsored by redbull but it could expand.

caelum

On the Ice
Ending Anonymous judging is an obvious one for me - it hasn't accomplished what was intended and the logic behind it never made sense to me anyway. On the other issue issues

7. limitate the numbers of lifts in the choreography for pairs so viewers can make the difference between pairs and ice dance (from what i understood)***

1) In general, men have more stamina than women, but maybe this is off-set by the fact elite men are doing opening quads. I might like to see this experimented with. COP programs are pretty demanding, I'm curious if reducing the number of jumping passes for men would increase consistency. I lean towards no, but I'm open to the idea.

2) I'm somewhat indifferent on this. My preference would actually be to keep the PCS multipliers on skating skills and transitions different and equate them for the remaining components, only because men, at a given level of the skill distribution, are going to be superior in things like edge quality.

3) I'm alright with Zayak on the 2A, but I don't agree otherwise. I don't think this rule would be a problem for elite skaters. Most are not doing more than two doubles toes or double loops, anyway. I just think the rule is pretty pointless.

4) I haven't heard a reason suggesting why not, so, yes.

5) I really don't care either way.

6) OK, sure.

7) Is it really so difficult to tell the difference between pairs and dance?

8) I don't like the sound of this, but I'm not sure.

9) Why?

10) Eh, make it 45 seconds.

ILuvYuna

On the Ice
Pairs jump and throw, ice dancers never do - shouldn't that be enough for the casual viewer to tell the difference? LOL

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While I understand the intention of anonymous judging I think everyone can agree its time to go. My guess is we are a few seasons away from it happening. Hopefully the Feds keep the pressure up and we'll see it go at some point.

On a slighty off topic remark I will continue to support and see no problem with Anonymous Penguins :)

Where's the no-more-anonymous-judging proposal? ;) :rolleye:

I am curious about what the the Russian proposal (proposal 208) actually means. The proposal by Greece (proposal 201) and the proposal by USA (209) contain the specific language,

The names of every Judge on the panel will be published along with their respective scores for each competition.

This sentence is omitted from the Russian proposal, which only deletes the requirement of randomizing the judge's scores for each skater. If the proposals come up for a vote in the order listed, the Greek proposal will be voted on first. I assume, though, that the proposals will be consolidated before the vote.

LRK

Record Breaker
Pairs jump and throw, ice dancers never do - shouldn't that be enough for the casual viewer to tell the difference? LOL

Exactly. That's how I'd explain it to a new viewer.

Besides, if they know enough about how many lifts there are, don't they already know how to tell the difference?:scratch:

To me, the difference between dance lifts and pairs lifts (star lifts, lasso lifts, etc.) is pretty stark already.

LRK

Record Breaker
To me, the difference between dance lifts and pairs lifts (star lifts, lasso lifts, etc.) is pretty stark already.

Indeed! But apparently the NUMBER of lifts is what will make the average viewer able to tell them apart? I'm just... confused....

FS.Addict

Rinkside
Indeed! But apparently the NUMBER of lifts is what will make the average viewer able to tell them apart? I'm just... confused....

Well maybe you could read the document and get some more explanations. I wrote what i understood in general but it wasn't really that clear to me. :p

If you do please tell us what you understood :)