Off-season video suggestions: what gives you chills? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Off-season video suggestions: what gives you chills?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for these, especially Toller's Romeo and Juliet! Isn't he the ideal Tybalt?

When you look at Curry and Cranston and realize that they weren't really following in anyone's footsteps--they were the beginning of true interpretive skating for men, blending athleticism and artistry--you understand how extraordinary they were. I'm only sorry that by all accounts they disliked each other, because together they could have really come up with some extraordinary productions. I don't mean necessarily by skating together, because their styles were so different, but by collaborating somehow. Most older Americans first became skating fans because of some ladies skater, either Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill, or Kristi or Michelle. With me it was exactly when I discovered Curry and Cranston.[/QUOTE
^^^ Another "older" American for Toller! Although I remember watching and rooting for Janet Lynn, Toller first entranced me, and ever since, when I have followed skating, it has been the men, not the women, whom I truly enjoy. It is difficult to describe how magical he (and Curry) were at the time, but Graduation Ball will always get me because I remember seeing it the first time.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
I stumbled upon the men's group number from The Ice 2013 some time ago and just love it. Love the music and I think there's something strangely captivating about the simplicity of this program. If you don't count the whole skating with one skate thing, I'd imagine that might feel weird. But they really create a beautiful atmosphere with this performance.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This one gave me chills today, especially the lift at 4:08.

Henna Lindholm & Ossi Kanervo, FD Finlandia Trophy 2013

I wasn't going to post it here because first I just put it down to nationalistic bias (nobody's immune, it seems :laugh: ) but then they went to the kiss'n'cry and I went :jaw: Marina Zueva? Had no idea. No wonder I liked the choreo. Apparently they train at Canton in the low season - wonder how they can afford it? I'm assuming they have some sponsors and get some national lottery cash as well...Ice dance is no bigger here than singles or pairs (do we have pairs even?), but I'm thinking they're wanting to make them into the next Rahkamo & Kokko...

Afair, Maurizio Margaglio was working with Zueva's students as a technical expert-and he also was working as coach with all the elite level Finnish teams. I expect that is how the connection happened.
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00011779.htm

This interview with Maurizio describes his involvement with skating in Finland and Detroit.
http://www.snowalps.com/sport/figur...do-linterpretazione-del-carattere-della-danza

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
Mind blown <KA-friggin-BOOM> :points:

I actually got tears in my eyes watching that, thinking of how all those people from all different walks of life; nurses, bus drivers, schoolkids, police etc. took the time to practice that routine like that. This is such a cold world most of the time (I just read Ann Coulter's ideas on soccer, for example), so that video was especially wonderful to me. Made me believe for a few minutes that most people are good at heart after all!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I actually got tears in my eyes watching that, thinking of how all those people from all different walks of life; nurses, bus drivers, schoolkids, police etc. took the time to practice that routine like that. This is such a cold world most of the time (I just read Ann Coulter's ideas on soccer, for example), so that video was especially wonderful to me. Made me believe for a few minutes that most people are good at heart after all!

:agree: Same here! Brilliant on so many levels and in every sense of the word.

Panpie

On the Ice

Agreed. I found myself tearing up toward the end. Of course, then I had to watch Torvill and Dean's Bolero, too. :)

Dramahkween

On the Ice
I'm a dork and a sucker for the old days of skating...I LOVE watching Magic Memories on Ice, hosted by Dick and Peggy lol. I got the VHS in 1989 and the result was my picking up a strange habit and jumping like Sonja Henie (hell for my coaches to undo but made double jumps and especially single axels, oh so much easier to do! Haha, don't judge me, I was 7! Lol)

I lost my VHS over the years but here is a link to YouTube. There are 6 parts in all. Enjoy!
http://youtu.be/Hccsen5fEFM

TMC

Record Breaker
Afair, Maurizio Margaglio was working with Zueva's students as a technical expert-and he also was working as coach with all the elite level Finnish teams. I expect that is how the connection happened.
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00011779.htm

This interview with Maurizio describes his involvement with skating in Finland and Detroit.
http://www.snowalps.com/sport/figur...do-linterpretazione-del-carattere-della-danza

Thank you dorispulaski!

I knew that Margaglio is the head of all of ice dance here, but was surprised by the Detroit connection. And mainly because I can imagine how expensive a choreo from Marina is, on top of travel & living expenses in Detroit. Either their parents are rich or they get way way more lottery (and other) funding than I imagined is given to our skaters - or both, obviously. Rahkamo was lucky to have wealthy parents supporting her & her partner in the early years so that when they started to get famous they received more and more sponsor money (like that embarrassing episode of Petri skating in a blouse with a "Nokia" applique..... :rolleye: )

Ossi, as well as our other 2 top ice dance men, have just started their national service in the army sports division in the city of Lahti. I was wondering how the logistics would work, as they all represent the Helsingfors skridskoklubb based in Helsinki. Would the partners have to move to Lahti which is a 1,5 hours drive from Helsinki for the 9-12 months of their service? Well, I just checked and lucky for all of them it turns out that the Sports div. has just moved to Santahamina which is an island in Helsinki :)

Too bad for me as I live near Lahti and I totally would have sneaked in at some point to watch their rehearsals ;)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I suspect there is a different pricing schedule for choreo/coaching when coaches and choreographers each are doing work for each other. Part of tech coaching pay may be in choreo, and vice versa. Maurizio may have negotiated a deal for Zueva choreo for Finnish dancers as part of his pay for technical expertise from Marina's school.