If you could build a pair out of 2 single skaters who would they be? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

If you could build a pair out of 2 single skaters who would they be?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
.........Sasha and Brian....now that would be a gorgeous and talented pair to watch......42

Antilles

Medalist
I can't see Sasha and Tim. He doesn't have the lines. Sasha and Shawn Sawyer would be amazing. Has anyone ever seen him do a spiral? His almost look like Sasha's. I've never seen a guy with such flexibility.

soogar

Record Breaker
I think Tim would develop the line if he had a partner like Sasha.

I'm not sure if pairs skating would develop male skaters. It probably would work in developing the girl b/c of the throws, however a guy would have to bulk up to lift the girl over his head and I think that a heavier body takes away from the jumps. In Rudi's book, once he committed to pairs skating and bulked up, it really took away from his singles elements.

Re: Mike Weiss:
How about his wife and he could throw her out of the rink???

LOL! You don't know how many times I've wished to see her thrown out of the kiss'n cry area!!!

Wasn't Nicole Bobek "tinkering" with doing pairs with someone a year or so ago? Guess it never went anywhere....

Didn't Shelby Lyons skate singles as well as pairs for awhile? Does she even still skate? In pairs she was with Brian Wells.

As for pairing presently single skaters for a pairs team....hmmm...
I'd have to agree the suggestion of Kurt with Josee sounds like a cute and entertaining pairing.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Most of the men skated either pairs or dance when they were in Intermediates or younger. Ryan Bradley skated Novice or Jr. pairs, I remember. Then as they grow they decide which discipline they prefer. John Baldwin, Jr. was a single skater for years, Philip Dulebohn has skated singles, too. Paul Wylie competed in pairs when he was young.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Kurt and Tara - they did a couple of programs together. Looked great.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I would like to pair Tiffany Stiegler with one of the tall, elegant Euro guys, like Zoltan Toth of Hungary, or Andrejs Vlaschenko, if he could be coaxed out of retirement. Same with Tugba Karademir, who is a beautiful skater mired at the bottom of qualifying because of her lack of jumps.

I would also like to pair Stannick Jeanette, maybe with the young Italian, Valentina Marschei, who has a real show-biz personality. Miriam Manzano might be a good match for him. Nikodinov is too tall for him. I think he'd look great with Joannie Rochette, but I don't want her to give up singles :)

Alexei Tikhonov showed a lot of personality in the Worlds Exhibitions -- I've always loved her -- and if they could harnass a drop of that in their competitive programs, I think they could be brilliant. So I've put wishing a new partner for her on hold.

The only skaters I can think of who could match Silvio Smalun's unusual artistry are ice dancers, so I wish he'd become a dancer.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Rena Inoue was a singles skater for Japan before she and John Baldwin (who had been a singles skaters for years and years). Jenni Meno was a singles skater, not too successfully, but did make it to Nationals regularly. Calla Urbanski was out of the same mold. Kyoko Ina was a singles skater first, and finished as high as 4th or 5th in senior ladies.

I think Jason Dungien's style has improved immeasurably since working with Yuka Sato!! So definitely a great femal skater can improve the style of the guy. His sit and pair spins are definitely better than when he was skating with Yuka.

Let's see, I would like to see Stephane Lambiel do pairs. Maybe pair him up with Maniachenko. Then a 2 triple performance would be great for her.

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Okay, how about Michelle and Elvis.....they did a Disney special years ago.........I like the idea of Tara and Kurt. I remember them skating together and they sizzled...........42

frozetoez

Rinkside
show 42 said:
I like the idea of Tara and Kurt. I remember them skating together and they sizzled...........42

Sizzled? Really? Wow... My friends and I had a completely different reaction to that pairing. We were creeped out. Tara was just a kid at the time and Kurt was, what, 32? It seemed really inappropriate to me. {{{Shudder}}}

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
Tara has a thing for the older men. I thought Tara and Kurt went really well together too.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Okay, so maybe "sizzled' wasn't the best term to use....how about "skating chemistry"? Anyway, I thought they really connected as a skating pair..........42

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Angela with Denis Petrov.

Sasha and Eman.

Jenny Kirk and Peter T.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Antilles:

Sasha and Shawn! Wow! What great thinking! Could you imagine them doing a pair spiral? That would be awesome!!!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
frozetoez said:
Sizzled? Really? Wow... My friends and I had a completely different reaction to that pairing. We were creeped out. Tara was just a kid at the time and Kurt was, what, 32? It seemed really inappropriate to me. {{{Shudder}}}

welcome to the board

as I recall there was a tabloid paper reporting that Tara and Kurt had a fling... didn't think it was funny then... don't think people thinking it's weird is all that great either

the two programs they did were interesting... I definately liked the last one best (she was in a pink dress... it was a french song LOL) I think their personalities clicked... but yes the age difference was an offset still I never felt weird about it... Kurt was extremely professional. No one ever mentions the age difference between Scott and Kristi(not as huge a gap but pretty close) and they skated programs together when she was in her early 20s...

I still think he and Josee would be a better match! :laugh:

Don't team up male skaters who are 6ft or over with lady skaters who are 5ft. I'm not impressed with their lifts and the male skater is always hunched over.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Denis Petrov is so good, I always want to pair him with all of my favorite Ladies' skaters, no matter what. But I really like the idea of teaming him with Nikodinov. I don't know his height, though. If she'd too tall for him in pairs, then I'd pair them in dance.

Antilles

Medalist
Joesitz, I agree. I don't like the really lopsided teams. I like it when they are closer in height than a foot.