The Everyday Life Stupid Answers Thread | Golden Skate

The Everyday Life Stupid Answers Thread

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Every so often I realize that I have been doing something stupidly forever...and a light bulb appears over my head, like in the Sunday funnies, and something that was once more difficult now has a Better Way- if you will, a Stupid Answer.

This week I find that meat thaws much, much faster if you turn a thick bottomed All Clad pot over on the counter and put the frozen meat in its package on the pot. Of course this works. My counter does not conduct heat very well, but a metal pot does:bang: took out a small pork roast at noon and it was thawed by 4 pm--- and it was not a warm day.

Have you made any discoveries lately?

Last edited:
That's interesting, Doris. I wouldn't have thought of that making so much of a difference. I'll keep it in mind for future reference. I have nothing comparable to mention right now, but I'm sure I'll have a "duh!" moment in the foreseeable future.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
That's interesting, Doris. I wouldn't have thought of that making so much of a difference. I'll keep it in mind for future reference. I have nothing comparable to mention right now, but I'm sure I'll have a "duh!" moment in the foreseeable future.

Thermodynamics 101! Rate of conduction increases with temp. differential...and mass and temp of conductor...I know this as I have cold feet In the winter and to warm them I put them on Barb. She screams. She thinks I have heat seaking feet.
Personally, I use the thaw setting on the microwave for meat.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Chris, I don't like the way the meat comes out after the defrost cycle, particularly-not evenly thawed. Clearly my microwave does not work as well as yours.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Not nearly as scientific or cool but I just discovered that store brand diapers work just as well as name brand diapers and cost 50% less... why do smart, savvy women become complete morons to marketing just because we've had a baby... so stupid. smh

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This week I find that meat thaws much, much faster if you turn a thick bottomed All Clad pot over on the counter and put the frozen meat in its package on the pot.

You can also put your frozen meat in a tight plastic bag in a bowl or in the kitchen sink filled with tepid water (moderately warm) and it defrosts pretty fast.

I don't have a self defrosting oven so when I use to clean the oven, I would have to put on a long sleeve shirt, rubber gloves and my shower cap. I have short arms so I practically had to climb inside the oven to clean it. Oh I forgot I had to put a mask on too. The fumes from the oven cleaner was about to do me in. I read a Hint from Heloise that you sprinkle baking soda in your oven and spray mist the baking soda to activate it. You do this every time you think about it. So I started in late afternoon and I set the timer for every hour. By the time I went to bed I had spritzed it 4 or 5 times. The next morning (I must say I didn't have much hope here) I opened the oven, and looked. I got a sponge and took a swipe and it was like a miracle, I couldn't believe it. All the stuff came off with the swipe. The best part I didn't have to get all dressed up to clean it out. I really couldn't believe the wonderful job the baking soda did on my oven. To this day that's all I use. It just made my life so much easier.