Better career: Volchkova or Meier? | Golden Skate

Better career: Volchkova or Meier?

FireOn

Rinkside
I was wondering who had the better career between these two.

Viktoria Volchkova

-Had a quite nice junior career.(2 Jw bronze, 1GPF title)
-4 consecutive European bronze medalist
-Went to GPF twice and won the bronze in 2003
-5th in 2003 was the highest finish ever at the worlds for her
and was 6th in 2000,2001
-Went to OG once and did a lackluster performances but got a very generous marks with 9th place finish
-In later career , she really struggled with injuries and judges turned their back on her since 2003-2004:cry:

Sarah Meier

-Won a Jw bronze medal in 2000
-Won the Europeans in 2011 when the other competitiors faltered
and also had a 2 Europeans silver medals in a very weak field.
-Went to GPF once and won the bronze in 2006
-6th at the worlds in 2008 ,2006 and 7th in 2007
-Went to OG three times 13th in 2002, 8th in 2006, 15th in 2010
-Was a non-factor by 2005

But I think that Viktoria had a much tougher European fields with Slutskaya,Butyrskaya,Sokolova,Soldatova,Gusmeroli,Liashenko,Sebestyen
and even Hubert
while Sarah's main contender was Kostner,Lepisto,Korpi and even old Sebestyen

Last edited by a moderator:

SugarCranberry

Rinkside
Sara’s
Switzerland doesn’t have that many figure skating medals. So even her one medal worth more for Switzerland than all Victoria’s medals for Russia

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I guess I would say Meier because a European title is a European title, even in a weak field, and she did finish 8th at an Olympics too. I would say they were quite close in achievement levels though.

Macassar88

Medalist
If Volchkova and stayed with Vasiliev, she would have had a better career - he was making her improve so much

Mafke

Medalist
Whose youtube videos get more views?

I somtimes enjoyed Volchkova and the hang time she got on some of her jumps, but besides that there wasn't that much there. Very uncommitted performances, you could almost see her counting in her head between 'choreographic' elements and when she did a spiral she managed to look like she was searching for a lost contact lens.

Meier never truly excelled in any one area and had technique and nerve problems but she always had a charming, lovely presence that I really enjoyed (and either she or someone around her had a wonderful costume sense she was consistently one of the best dressed competitors). She was often one of the skaters I enjoyed watching far more than some of those finishing ahead of her.

My vote goes for Meier.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Strange and random comparison, heh.

I would definitely say Meier. She had a lot of really solid performances, whereas I can only remember Volchkova skating particularly well once. Meier should have won a medal at 2006 Worlds and she did win a European title.

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia
I know this is indirect answer but when I saw the title I realized I only knew who Sarah Meier was. I saw her in Kurt Browning show! :)

I mean, count my vote for Meier. I liked her Amelie routine and a skater who can bring down a routine to remember deserves it! :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I always felt Meier was sadly just a lucky also ran, who won in weak fields. Victoria had more of animpact in a much stronger and more competitive time. She never seemed to really reach the top but at least she was considered a top skater wheras Sarah never was or could be considered in the top tier even with a fluke Euro win. winning euros doesn't mean you are a great skater and sadly meier was a second or third tier skater - at least one behind Victoria.

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia
^
Sometimes, criteria for evaluation are so different that they make a discussion unnecessary :yes:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
True. Volchkova seems to be doing well coaching. She may have more impact on the sport than Meier via her students. Her married name is Butsaeva, and she coaches in Moscow.

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I somtimes enjoyed Volchkova and the hang time she got on some of her jumps, but besides that there wasn't that much there. Very uncommitted performances, you could almost see her counting in her head between 'choreographic' elements and when she did a spiral she managed to look like she was searching for a lost contact lens.
That's what I feel about her skating, too :slink: (even if some her jumps were really huge, I have to admit it)
Volchkova had a great triple Lutz.
Meier's was not bad, too ;) These two skaters were probably capable of producing some of the best 3Lzs ever, if we look at the take-off-edge technique and height/air position

I feel, overall, that this discussion is quite pointless... What's the point of comparing two completely different skaters who competed in (slightly) different periods? :unsure::scowl:

Alba

Record Breaker
I feel, overall, that this discussion is quite pointless... What's the point of comparing two completely different skaters who competed in (slightly) different periods? :unsure::scowl:

Not much to talk I guess. :biggrin:

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia

Why not?
It’s good to know that also other people remember Sarah Meier and that coach Butsaeva once had a career as a skater with family name Volchkova - and that both of them had a remarcable lutz :)

If FireOn keeps fire on with other random comparisons of skaters from past you might have to google to learn about, I’m all in. It’s educational to say the least!

Why not?
It’s good to know that also other people remember Sarah Meier and that coach Butsaeva once had a career as a skater with family name Volchkova - and that both of them had a remarcable lutz :)

If FireOn keeps fire on with other random comparisons of skaters from past you might have to google to learn about, I’m all in. It’s educational to say the least!

I agree; it's always interesting to examine skaters from different viewpoints and think about their accomplishments. In this case it's enlightening because Meier was such an appealing performer but wasn't that strong athletically, whereas Volchkova was almost the exact opposite: splendid, springy jumps but not much ability to project a personality or the music. Both of them were just under the top level but occasionally made it into a spotlight moment. I'm glad to hear that Volchkova is coaching.

russell30

Final Flight
Well, I have to Sarah Meier because of her overall package and was a European Champion and titles do not come easily!. Technically Volchkova was superior with her great technique and height on jumps, but artistically I would go with Sarah, she had some lovely programs - pride and prejudice and La Folia In Black my fav's.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Whose youtube videos get more views?

Meier never truly excelled in any one area and had technique and nerve problems but she always had a charming, lovely presence that I really enjoyed (and either she or someone around her had a wonderful costume sense she was consistently one of the best dressed competitors). She was often one of the skaters I enjoyed watching far more than some of those finishing ahead of her.

My vote goes for Meier.

Yep, my feelings exactly. Meier at least looked engaged in her programs. And since their hardware is nearly the same, I'll go with Meier. I was so happy she ended her career on a high note.

volk

Final Flight
Meier had a better career and Volchkova had a better semi-nude photoshoot;)