IOC awarded to NBC the broadcast rights for the Olympic through to 2032 | Golden Skate

IOC awarded to NBC the broadcast rights for the Olympic through to 2032

Alba

Record Breaker
IOC awarded to NBC the broadcast rights for the Olympic through to 2032

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) on Wednesday awarded NBCUniversal (NBCU) the broadcast rights in the USA for the Olympic Games through to 2032.

NBCU has acquired the broadcast rights across all media platforms, including free-to-air television, subscription television, internet and mobile. The agreement from 2021 to 2032 is valued at USD 7.65 billion, plus an additional USD 100 million signing bonus to be used for the promotion of Olympism and the Olympic values between 2015 and 2020.

Th rest here: http://www.nbcsports.com/olympic-sp...es-broadcast-rights-nbcuniversal-through-2032

RABID

Final Flight
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) on Wednesday awarded NBCUniversal (NBCU) the broadcast rights in the USA for the Olympic Games through to 2032.

NBCU has acquired the broadcast rights across all media platforms, including free-to-air television, subscription television, internet and mobile. The agreement from 2021 to 2032 is valued at USD 7.65 billion, plus an additional USD 100 million signing bonus to be used for the promotion of Olympism and the Olympic values between 2015 and 2020.

Th rest here: http://www.nbcsports.com/olympic-sp...es-broadcast-rights-nbcuniversal-through-2032

So glad I'm not American and live in the age of Youtube. I saw the coverage from a BBC perspective whilst in the U.K.; how it SHOULD be done. I am a Canadian and my hat is off to you Brits. I actually came away with a better appreciation of Curling from watching it there than I ever did in my home country. And the figure skating.... I saw ALL AND EVERY performance unlike the ADD abbreviations from NBC.

Alba

Record Breaker
So glad I'm not American and live in the age of Youtube. I saw the coverage from a BBC perspective whilst in the U.K.; how it SHOULD be done. I am a Canadian and my hat is off to you Brits. I actually came away with a better appreciation of Curling from watching it there than I ever did in my home country. And the figure skating.... I saw ALL AND EVERY performance unlike the ADD abbreviations from NBC.

The Americans talk too much and often saying useless things, but I guess the Olympics are more aimed for the general/casual viewers. I
I didn't mind Tara and Johnny tbh. I don't know about BBC but I love the Eurosport. Pity they don't have the Olympics broadcasting rights anymore.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
On one hand - Johnny and Tara!

On the other hand... Prime time delay, other bad commentators (not J/T), and cutting of everyone who isn't American/a top competitor.

RABID

Final Flight
The Americans talk too much and often saying useless things, but I guess the Olympics are more aimed for the general/casual viewers. I
I didn't mind Tara and Johnny tbh. I don't know about BBC but I love the Eurosport. Pity they don't have the Olympics broadcasting rights anymore.

And I don't know about any coverage other than Eurosport, BBC and North American TV. Canadian coverage is pretty good but can't match the production values of the Americans or the depth of the Brits. I think we should take a poll from viewers of different countries and have a global assessment of what was good, great and bad. I suspect the Japanese were pretty good but that is just a hunch of mine. :) Anyone else?

CarneAsada

Medalist
I haven't seen full CCTV coverage but generally their commentators are very good and relatively unbiased (at least for skating, when they didn't have any Chinese OGM contenders to root for). For skating I liked the way they did it, where they shut up for the entirety of the program and talked about everything afterward.

I have seen Taiwanese coverage of the Sochi ladies' event and did not enjoy it. Too much gushing and too much repetitive description of everything as perfect, amazing, etc.

Alba

Record Breaker
And I don't know about any coverage other than Eurosport, BBC and North American TV. Canadian coverage is pretty good but can't match the production values of the Americans or the depth of the Brits. I think we should take a poll from viewers of different countries and have a global assessment of what was good, great and bad. I suspect the Japanese were pretty good but that is just a hunch of mine. :) Anyone else?

From what I've seen so far, and of course the language I understand:

1. Rai (Italian pubblic TV) - Very bad comentating (biased, stupid comments and not informative at all). Terrible audio as well, although this last WC was a bit better.
2.USA - Bad (Biased and talk too much), some can be good.
3. Spain : Love them
4. Eurosport ITA: Fantastic. Tech. very informative and not biased
5. Eurosport British: I adore them. Always have a good word for all the skaters. :)
6. French: Not bad.
7. Canadians: Not bad either.

What I object to most in US coverage (in fact, in US culture generally) is the personality cult approach. NBC thinks that what people want to see is Bob Costas, not sports. Same with news programs. The newsreader thinks he is more important than the news. (The Barbara Walters syndrome -- the only thing of importance that a world leader can aspire to is to get interviewed by Barbara Walters. ;) )

Also this:

Rabid said:
...the ADD abbreviations from NBC

Alba

Record Breaker
What I object to most in US coverage (in fact, in US culture generally) is the personality cult approach. NBC thinks that what people want to see is Bob Costas, not sports. Same with news programs. The newsreader thinks he is more important than the news. (The Barbara Walters syndrome -- the only thing of importance that a world leader can aspire to is to get interviewed by Barbara Walters. ;)

I fully agree with you. The part about the news is so true and scary.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist

Really, in prime time. Watching live, you see everyone. But for the prime time ladies LP (for example) I saw maybe the top twelve at most. It's annoying - only 20 make it to the LP anyway, no need to cut beautiful skating for preliminaries of other sports.

Really, in prime time. Watching live, you see everyone. But for the prime time ladies LP (for example) I saw maybe the top twelve at most. It's annoying - only 20 make it to the LP anyway, no need to cut beautiful skating for preliminaries of other sports.

:clap: This! I don't need FS finals cut/edited to see 3-4 preliminaries of snowboarding or luge; and I like both!

LyraAngelica Just curious - why do you think this NBC deal ensures the U.S. will get to host sometime soon in the future? (I didn't know any type of correlation might/would exist between this.)

Alba

Record Breaker

Yeah, only 20 skater makes it to the LP so no need to cut it. Especially during the Olympics. The good thing with Sky Italia (they have the Olympics here) is that they have different sport channels, so the FS and Speed skating had their own channel.
The bad thing is that it's not a public TV service, so the majority of population doesn't have a subscription.

This deal ensures that the US will probably host another Olympics in the coming years.

I think they are biding for 2024?

LyraAngelica

On the Ice
:clap: This! I don't need FS finals cut/edited to see 3-4 preliminaries of snowboarding or luge; and I like both!

LyraAngelica Just curious - why do you think this NBC deal ensures the U.S. will get to host sometime soon in the future? (I didn't know any type of correlation might/would exist between this.)

With the revenue sharing issue out of the way between the USOC and the IOC, the US has an even better chance to host an Olympics Games. NBC continuing to secure rights only helps that. Another hurdle down for the USOC.

Yeah, only 20 skater makes it to the LP so no need to cut it. Especially during the Olympics. The good thing with Sky Italia (they have the Olympics here) is that they have different sport channels, so the FS and Speed skating had their own channel.
The bad thing is that it's not a public TV service, so the majority of population doesn't have a subscription.

The U.S. broadcaster also has several channels. Often something like hockey gets wall-to-wall coverage. Alas, they don't seem to think that ice skating deserves such extensive coverage.

Alba

Record Breaker
The U.S. broadcaster also has several channels. Often something like hockey gets wall-to-wall coverage. Alas, they don't seem to think that ice skating deserves such extensive coverage.

So with these channels what are they covering, full coverage I mean, during the Olympics?

YLFan

Match Penalty
NBC's coverage is pretty awful. A big part of this problem is Costas and his constant pushing of his political opinions as facts. I don't know who even really likes this guy or who would miss him.

Most of the events I watched on BBC feeds on the Internet. The commentators they had for the events were so much better than NBC's its not even funny.

NBC's coverage is pretty awful. A big part of this problem is Costas and his constant pushing of his political opinions as facts. I don't know who even really likes this guy or who would miss him.

I'd be fine if they had no commentary as I'd prefer to see more of the sports. That being said, I couldn't wait for Costas' pink eye to heal with the replacements they had this year...they were horrible. I can ignore Costas' preferences political and otherwise, but I couldn't stand the insipid questions and blatant lack of knowledge of the athletes and sports displayed by almost all of the individuals they called in to replace him.

meem

On the Ice
Well, I enjoyed CNBC's morning coverage of figure skating and was able to see everyone who competed in the SP and then all who qualified to compete in the LP. While I found Johnny Weir to be an annoying distraction and hope he won't have the opportunity to follow in Dick Button's footsteps (perish the thought!), I was grateful to NBC for providing this extensive FS coverage. All NBC needs to do is hire better commentators (Tanith Belben, Paul Wylie, Ben Agosto, hey what about Randy Gardner for pairs? he did win a WC). IMO the commentators need to provide interesting & knowledgeable commentary and not focus attention on themselves (or their clothes, hairstyles, jeweled headbands, etc).