Skaters who have used classical ballet music | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skaters who have used classical ballet music

CarneAsada

Medalist
A bit difficult...which movement do you have in mind?

I'm surprised that no one, as far as I remember, never used Tchaikovsky violin concerto. It's one of the most beautiful violin concertos and so suitable for figure skating. In all 3 movements you can find more than 1 piece to use it for a program.

Oistrakh or Perlman version only. :love:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds4XPlhgq_k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATK_pj2iMqg&list=PL8580533920DCF6CA

Sibelius will be fine, as well. :popcorn:.
Carolina Kostner used the 3rd movement as part of her 2010 SP. It wasn't her most successful year but I think she skated it well.

Your mention of Oistrakh reminds me of back when I was learning the concerto in high school. My teacher told me to listen to the Oistrakh version but my secret goal was to play it as quickly as Heifetz. :laugh: I even tried out his ossias (slightly different from Auer's) for the arpeggiated passages in the 1st movement right before the first big tutti and before the coda.

Another violin concerto I think could work well on the ice is the Walton concerto. Prokofiev 1 and 2 might be interesting to see as well.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Amanda Evora & Mark Ladwig skated to the Pas de Deux from The Nutcracker @ the 2009 US Nationals in Cleveland, Ohio. They were terrific in their free skate, finished 4th, got a huge standing ovation, but NBC didn't bother to show the program in their coverage (it was just before 4 PM that afternoon). :cry:

Alba

Record Breaker
Carolina Kostner used the 3rd movement as part of her 2010 SP. It wasn't her most successful year but I think she skated it well.

Yes but it was a very small part in a 3:50 min program. Not much for me.:biggrin:

Your mention of Oistrakh reminds me of back when I was learning the concerto in high school. My teacher told me to listen to the Oistrakh version but my secret goal was to play it as quickly as Heifetz. :laugh:

:laugh: Your teacher was right, but I understand you. At that age in school I liked to play fast too, it's more fun.
Well, it's Heifetz after all, not at all a bad example. ;) Anne-Sophie Mutter plays like that as well. For me she is a Beethoven girl not Tchaikovsky or even Bach.
Oistrakh and Perlman are the best because they let the notes breath. They play all the notes, if I may use that term.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Davis and White did Giselle. The Schedrin version, Carmen Suite,used by Virtue & Moir and Cappellini and Lanotte is the ballet Carmen, not the opera. Scheherazade also has an associated ballet. So ballet is used a lot.

There are some restrictions on the use of ballet music in ice dance, though, since only pieces with a defined beat are allowed.

And millions of little skaters have used this or that part of the Nutcracket.

Last edited: