Skaters who have used classical ballet music | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skaters who have used classical ballet music

Sometimes I think the FS world is quite ignorant when it comes to music, even with classic music that is used so much.

I've taken music lessons since I was little....so I know a lot of great pieces. I'm more lacking in the far back (to me) knowledge of what has and hasn't been used. I love classical music! I listen to it when I'm studying or getting ready for bed or whatever. It just really calms me and makes me happy, lol. It's such a shame that skaters don't utilize a wider range of music... Granted, I also understand that certain pieces of music are generally much more well received than others - so, even using classical ballet pieces, it may feel like sticking yourself out on a limb to use a "new" one at times. Plus, I think skaters grow up having their favorite skaters and watching them do just amazing performances to certain songs, so there's also that potential piece in choosing one's music.

Alba

Record Breaker
I think you're right. I don't know about the coaches and choreographers (I am fairly sure that Lori Nichol for one is familiar with a wide range of music), but I suspect that in the U.S. at least, the skaters themselves don't get exposed to classical music unless their families make a point of it. (I once interviewed a skater who told me that her favorite composer was Yanni. In her defense, she was a junior-age skater at the time.) In my own experience, I was very familiar with classical music as a child and a teenager because Mom had the classical radio station on nonstop. I loved it from an early age, probably as a result of this early acquaintance with it. My friend was knowledgeable because her father was a music professor. Beyond that, few people among my friends had any familiarity with it, even including the ones who took piano lessons. (They just learned the pieces they were playing, and that was it.) It's just not part of the fabric anymore in this country. Of course I can't speak for European or Asian countries, where this form of music is more highly respected.

When Lori Nichol chose Shostakovich for Carolina's SP I was surprised. Shostakovich is not unknown but not used at all, although I admit is difficult in general to listen (one of my fav) let alone for FS. I don't think it worked for her but I appreciate the idea very much.

The thing is most of them are lazy, I think.
I don't know if it's because many of them are young and spend much time training, so dedicating more time to listen to different kind of music or composers it's kind of boring or tiring for them.
Choreographers also are busy but it's their job to help them. Coaches are way too busy and some of them don't even go there, choosing the music I mean.
The thing is though if you like Bolero why not listen some other works from Ravel? Is it possible that we have to hear only Clair de Lune from Debussy?!
Stravinsky has done other works not just Firebird, which by the way the majority of the skaters can't even skate it properly.

I remember Barbara and Maurizio in an interview before Olympics in 2002 said: The FD music is of course not accidental. The Olympics are in USA so we're dancing to "I'll Survive". :laugh: Not to mention the irony in that title, but really? You're skating in USA and all you come up with is "I'll Survive"?! :sarcasm:

ETA: On this topic, I think a lot of Americans of today would be astonished to learn that some of the regular radio stations in this country used to play a lot more classical music, because it was considered important to the culture. NBC actually had its own orchestra, the NBC Symphony. Its conductor during its lifespan (1937 to 1954) was no less than Arturo Toscanini. The Wiki article lists an impressive list of guest conductors, as well. This orchestra was a commitment from the top down (David Sarnoff, the network chairman, spearheaded this project) to enrich the cultural lives or ordinary people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBC_Symphony_Orchestra

It's a real loss, I think, that it doesn't exist anymore. :disapp:
These things should be preserved as national treasures, IMO, especially in USA.

Maybe they should hire people like us and other GS members as consultants. We'd beef up the repertoire pretty quickly.

I'm 100% sure about that. :cool::biggrin:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I also grew up listening to classical music; my mom loved it and took me to concerts and operas, too. Ended up as a music major in college and have never regretted it for a moment although I never played professionally.

When I first moved to New York a gazillion years ago, there were 3 classical stations and a couple of others devoted to real jazz. No more. One of the classical stations was sold and one of the others (WQXR, the NY Times station) has watered down its programming, especially in the morning when they're apt to broadcast single movements of a symphony or string quartet as opposed to the whole thing. NPR is still OK, but overall there isn't nearly as much available for listening and often it's just the standards. It's so unfortunate.

Another thing that breaks my heart is that when schools need to save money, the first things to go are music and art. :cry: Nothing against math & science -- far from it! -- but the arts are food for the soul. We need both.

Back on topic, though: didn't the Duchesnays use "The Rite of Spring" once upon a time?

EDIT: answering my own question. Searched the Duchesnays on YouTube and the dance I thought used "The Rite of Spring" was something else entirely. The costumes would have worked, though! :)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Ty to all, a treasure trove. Ballet music is ultimate vehicle even if over used. Did I see Gracie's sleeping beauty on there? Perhaps another thread would be contemporary music written after 1950. Ballet is easy music to move to and I am enjoying these so much hope yu all are too .

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Recently, I came across an interview to Torvill and Dean, in which they explained how they chose Bolero. They went to BBC-radio's library and listened to a lot of records for days until they found the most suitable music.

Nowadays, you don't need to do that: whoever has a couple spare hours can go on youtube and listen to LOTS of music of every genre and repertoire, and in many versions: so, even if you are no expert, you can easily find something you like and can skate to.

I, too, think it's mostly laziness: that music worked for so many skaters, let's use it again. That's why I groan when I watch programs set to warhorses: even if,in most cases, the music is a masterpiece, the interpretation is often quite forgettable.

I thoroughly agree with Alba when she says that skaters should explore the repertoire of great composers, instead of picking always the same pieces.

Thanks! Nakano is exquisite, except for that lamentable leg wrap.

It occurs to me that another great piece to mine for skating programs would be Prokofiev's Classical Symphony.

Alba, you know I agree with your point about exploring other pieces by the composers of the great warhorses! For example, the boundlessly rich Rimsky-Korsakov composed stunning works (a lot of them operas) that are full of promising music. Scheherazade is gorgeous, but that's just one of his works. There's stuff in Sadko, Le Coq D'Or, and The Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh, just for starters, that would make radiant programs, with great rhythm changes because so many of them are based on folk traditions if not on the actual folk melodies. Then there is other stuff from Ravel and Debussy, whom you mentioned, along with other French composers such as Faure and even a few obscure one-hit wonders such as Vincent D'Indy (Symphony on a French Mountain Air, for example). As for Italy, Respighi comes to mind. They really ought to ask us!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ravel...

Daphnis & Chloe
Le Tombeau de Couperin (piano version is my favorite but for a skater, the orchestration would probably work better)

Olympia -- thanks for mentioning the D'Indy; I used to love it but haven't listened to it in years! And the Classical Symphony is a wonderful idea.

Alba -- since you're a violinist, how about the Prokofiev Sonata Op. 94a? I love the original flute version but would be delighted to see it on the ice in either incarnation.

Ravel...

Daphnis & Chloe
Le Tombeau de Couperin (piano version is my favorite but for a skater, the orchestration would probably work better)

Olympia -- thanks for mentioning the D'Indy; I used to love it but haven't listened to it in years! And the Classical Symphony is a wonderful idea.

Alba -- since you're a violinist, how about the Prokofiev Sonata Op. 94a? I love the original flute version but would be delighted to see it on the ice in either incarnation.

One of the things I liked about Sarah Hughes's Olympic long program was that it used Daphnis and Chloe. Such sumptuous music, and it is indeed a ballet. As for the D'Indy, I hadn't listened in awhile and found it again some months ago. It is so fresh and exhilarating and melodious.

Panpie

On the Ice
ETA: On this topic, I think a lot of Americans of today would be astonished to learn that some of the regular radio stations in this country used to play a lot more classical music, because it was considered important to the culture. NBC actually had its own orchestra, the NBC Symphony. Its conductor during its lifespan (1937 to 1954) was no less than Arturo Toscanini. The Wiki article lists an impressive list of guest conductors, as well. This orchestra was a commitment from the top down (David Sarnoff, the network chairman, spearheaded this project) to enrich the cultural lives or ordinary people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBC_Symphony_Orchestra

Toscanini and the NBC Symphony Orchestra were before my time, but I am aware of them. Of course, I was astonished to read that some people here were unaware that Derek from DWTS may have gotten some inspiration from old movie musicals. I just assumed everyone was aware of Fred Astaire's ceiling dance. Then again, my father was an old movie buff, so I suppose I learned more about Hollywood's Golden Age than the norm for most folks, and maybe Turner Classic Movies is not a favorite TV channel for as many people as I might think.

While I live in a small town without a lot of culture to speak of nowadays, I grew up in a neighborhood full of college professors and their children. My best friend's parents loved classical music and opera. They played it quite a lot. Also, going back to the time when my hometown was more prosperous, no doubt, music education was a big part of the public school system. In my college and grad school days, the NPR radio stations played classical music a lot. I was exposed to classical music a lot growing up, but I know my knowledge of classical music is not nearly what it could be.

The great thing about radio is that its reach is so wide. And most of it is on the free airwaves, not the way TV is nowadays. The Metropolitan Opera Broadcasts used to be played on stations in many (or maybe most) parts of the country, and I've heard quite a few stories of people who grew up in tiny hamlets who got to hear the opera every week during the season.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Toscanini and the NBC Symphony Orchestra were before my time, but I am aware of them. Of course, I was astonished to read that some people here were unaware that Derek from DWTS may have gotten some inspiration from old movie musicals. I just assumed everyone was aware of Fred Astaire's ceiling dance. Then again, my father was an old movie buff, so I suppose I learned more about Hollywood's Golden Age than the norm for most folks, and maybe Turner Classic Movies is not a favorite TV channel for as many people as I might think.

While I live in a small town without a lot of culture to speak of nowadays, I grew up in a neighborhood full of college professors and their children. My best friend's parents loved classical music and opera. They played it quite a lot. Also, going back to the time when my hometown was more prosperous, no doubt, music education was a big part of the public school system. In my college and grad school days, the PBS stations played classical music a lot. I was exposed to classical music a lot growing up, but I know my knowledge of classical music is not nearly what it could be.

American culture is being murdered. Imagine when NBC Funded An orchestra and look at the tv programming now. And it is proven how valuable music education is to math scores. I can only cringe when other countries wonder what is happening and despite our Hollywood celeb based " culture.." So many ballet companies in 70's now most out of business. I know few people who appreciate figures skating. Sport, art, music, dance at its best. I have seen many nice skates in this thread.

Alba

Record Breaker

A bit difficult...which movement do you have in mind?

I'm surprised that no one, as far as I remember, never used Tchaikovsky violin concerto. It's one of the most beautiful violin concertos and so suitable for figure skating. In all 3 movements you can find more than 1 piece to use it for a program.

Oistrakh or Perlman version only. :love:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds4XPlhgq_k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATK_pj2iMqg&list=PL8580533920DCF6CA

Sibelius will be fine, as well. :popcorn:

I also would love to see some Ice Dance programs with baroque music. I think it's perfect for Ice Dance but not suitable to every couple (see Dankova&Stravinsky OD 2003 :disapp:) and above all the choreo is very important otherwise the result would be just boring. If it's done properly though it can be a masterpiece. :)

American culture is being murdered. Imagine when NBC Funded An orchestra and look at the tv programming now.

True.

And it is proven how valuable music education is to math scores.

I had no idea about this but it does make sense. In fact Harmony is like math, if not harder to learn.

Panpie

On the Ice
The great thing about radio is that its reach is so wide. And most of it is on the free airwaves, not the way TV is nowadays. The Metropolitan Opera Broadcasts used to be played on stations in many (or maybe most) parts of the country, and I've heard quite a few stories of people who grew up in tiny hamlets who got to hear the opera every week during the season.

Yes, radio was wonderful that way. The NPR stations in my area barely play any music at all anymore, let alone classical. They are mostly news and talk all day. So many people listen to satellite radio and iPods in their cars now, too, so there is probably less exposure to classical music now. I mean, unless someone is seeking out classical music and already has an interest in it, it's not as readily available over the radio as it used to be.

Alba

Record Breaker
So many people listen to satellite radio and iPods in their cars now, too, so there is probably less exposure to classical music now. I mean, unless someone is seeking out classical music and already has an interest in it, it's not as readily available over the radio as it used to be.

In Italy as well is more or less the same. Fortunately we still have Radio Rai (public service) who does play classical music, opera etc.
I think that's why is important to have a public service TV (although Rai quality is not the same as it used to be) and Radio.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I'm surprised that no one, as far as I remember, never used Tchaikovsky violin concerto. It's one of the most beautiful violin concertos and so suitable for figure skating. In all 3 movements you can find more than 1 piece to use it for a program.

A favorite of mine.

Well, there was this program. Unfortunately the performance with which he won bronze at US Nationals that year never made it to TV; it was, well, chacked. ;)

IIRC Jennifer Robinson also used it a couple years later, but it's not on youtube.

Not a competitive program, but in the process of searching I just found it to watch for the first time.

Alba

Record Breaker
A favorite of mine.

Well, there was this program. Unfortunately the performance with which he won bronze at US Nationals that year never made it to TV; it was, well, chacked. ;)

Never seen this one before. I don't like the editing but I appreciate that he used this piece. It's wonderful.

IIRC Jennifer Robinson also used it a couple years later, but it's not on youtube.

Not a competitive program, but in the process of searching I just found it to watch for the first time

WOW! Thank you. :)
Now here is the right editing IMO, but I wouldn't expect anything less from Lambiel. He is one of the few skaters who does have the music in his soul and body. Very sensitive about it.