The Greatness of British Actors/Actresses. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Greatness of British Actors/Actresses.

I have a soft spot for Simon Baker because he's the spitting image of an ex-boyfriend 10 years ago - seriously the best looking guy I'd ever seen live then and since :biggrin: No surprise it didn't last - no way I could have been that lucky :laugh:

Gee, if you dated someone who looked like Simon Baker, you did have some luck! Nice that you have that memory to savor.

TMC

Record Breaker
Gee, if you dated someone who looked like Simon Baker, you did have some luck! Nice that you have that memory to savor.

I still can't quite believe that ever happened! I'm Facebook friends with the guy and he still looks exactly like Baker. My husband on the other hand looks like Edward James Olmos :laugh: I never was into the usual pretty boys so it figures I would end up with somebody who has a face for radio rather than tv :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just had a peak into this thread after not looking at it for a few days, and noticed that we are now talking about Simon Baker.

Erm, sorry to disappoint you, but you do realise that he's Australian rather than British.

I have to be honest - I have never watched "The Mentalist". But when Channel 5 got the rights a few years back, they started showing adverts for it featuring Simon. And my first thought was "Hey, is that your fella out of 'Home and Away'?" So, I went straight onto t'internet and, sure enough, it was.

Here is a screenshot of him in the house where Irene Roberts now lives:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8g9deWnTj1qmqbe8o2_1280.png

Simon played James Healey back in 1994. Considering it was so long ago, and he was in it for only a few months, I was amazed that I remembered him! But, I would never have missed H&A back then. It was a case of come home from school, do homework, watch Home and Away, have tea! ;)

Although I left Summer Bay for a few years in the late-90's, I soon came back, and have barely missed an episode since!

But it was only there now, when I was looking for a photo of him from his time in Summer Bay, that I discovered that Simon Baker is actually from Tasmania!

Maybe that explains his devilish good looks...

(Sorry, I couldn't resist that line!!!)

CaroLiza_fan

TMC

Record Breaker
I believe the poster who first mentioned Baker preceded it by "British and Australian actors" so yes :)

I believe the poster who first mentioned Baker preceded it by "British and Australian actors" so yes :)

Thanks, TMC. Yes, Carol_Liza Fan, I did know about Baker's origin. Actually, I think all four of the guys I cited in that earlier post are from Oz, including Alex O'Loughlin of Hawaii Five-0, Matt Passmore of The Glades, and Robert Taylor of Longmire (the Aussie namesake of an earlier American movie star, but no relation--the original Robert Taylor was actually born Spangler Arlington Brugh, if memory serves me). I often refer to "Commonwealth" accents to encompass them all, especially since so many actors from Oz and New Zealand now star in fantasy movies filmed in NZ.

TMC, if your spouse looks like Edward James Olmos, your luck has held. He's very handsome in a different way from Baker, as bronze is to mercury, so to speak, and his dramatic output is admirable, from Stand and Deliver to that splendid set of West Wing episodes where he played a Supreme Court nominee.

I absolutely LOVE British mystery shows and comedies.... That is all that my parents and I can watch together and agree on, haha.
I'm not saying that these individuals are necessarily widely known greats, but....they were great in the roles I've included! :)

T.V.
David Suchet - Poirot
John Nettles - Midsomer Murders
Robson Green - Wire in the Blood and Case Histories
Benedict Cumberbatch - Sherlock, The Last Enemy, etc.
Martin Clunes - Doc Martin
Dawn French - Vicar of Dibley

And then...I've always loved Julie Andrews! :) And Maggie Smith... Honestly, there are tons of great actors and actresses from Britain! (I was just trying to name some people who haven't been named here already....and I know I'm forgetting other personal favs.)

EDIT: And personally I'm not a Keira Knightley fan....but she has done very well! :) Oh! And Emma Watson has done well too...and I do like her, haha.

TMC

Record Breaker
Thanks, TMC. Yes, Carol_Liza Fan, I did know about Baker's origin. Actually, I think all four of the guys I cited in that earlier post are from Oz, including Alex O'Loughlin of Hawaii Five-0, Matt Passmore of The Glades, and Robert Taylor of Longmire (the Aussie namesake of an earlier American movie star, but no relation--the original Robert Taylor was actually born Spangler Arlington Brugh, if memory serves me). I often refer to "Commonwealth" accents to encompass them all, especially since so many actors from Oz and New Zealand now star in fantasy movies filmed in NZ.

TMC, if your spouse looks like Edward James Olmos, your luck has held. He's very handsome in a different way from Baker, as bronze is to mercury, so to speak, and his dramatic output is admirable, from Stand and Deliver to that splendid set of West Wing episodes where he played a Supreme Court nominee.

You're right about Olmos, he is very attractive to me! But if you were to put him next to, say, Brad Pitt, I believe the vast majority of women would choose Pitt. Not me - I wouldn't know what to do with such a quantity of gorgeous. Always thought that men with imperfections are much sexier. Like when I was twelve and all my girl friends were all about Corey Haim, I'd gush over Corey Feldman instead :laugh:

We just started re-watching the West Wing and yes, EJO just gets better with age :biggrin:

ETA I hadn't realised this but I too kind of think of Commonwealth performers as "British"...

LRK

Record Breaker
I've never understood what's so terribly attractive about Brad Pitt...

ETA - I realised I probably should have added: :slink:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I've never understood what's so terribly attractive about Brad Pitt...
ETA - I realised I probably should have added: :slink:
As well as the attractiveness of Ryan Gosling. I mean.. I have nothing against him but I don't find him that charming.

I would rather watch British show all days because someone like Judi Dench, Gary Oldman, Alan Rickman...can hold my gaze for longer than I can tell. :)

This evening after Dancing with the Stars, I found the lovely little film 84 Charing Cross Road playing on a movie channel. Anthony Hopkins (one of the voices of the century) and Anne Bancroft sparkled, and I remembered them from my first viewing of the movie years ago. But I hadn't remembered that the wife of Hopkins' character was portrayed by Judi Dench! She just melted into the part. I recommend it to all who love modest little movies and also to all bookworms, because the plot concerns a correspondence of several decades between an American woman and the London booksellers from whom she ordered books (and to whom she and her friends sent food parcels during the lean years of postwar British food rationing). It's based on real events as written about by Bancroft's character, Helene Hanff.

BusyMom

Medalist
Although I left Summer Bay for a few years in the late-90's, I soon came back, and have barely missed an episode since!
CaroLiza_fan

I'm guilty of being a Summer Bay's Fan too, and also the Ramsay Street's(but not so much after they kept killing the characters with the tragic plot). :biggrin:

It is amazing how these kids parades to Hollywood in the past recent years. Christ Hemsworth and Isla Fisher are doing very well. The first time I saw Jesse Spencer in House MD, I'm kind of :love: ( awww little Billy all grown up).

This evening after Dancing with the Stars, I found the lovely little film 84 Charing Cross Road playing on a movie channel. Anthony Hopkins (one of the voices of the century) and Anne Bancroft sparkled, and I remembered them from my first viewing of the movie years ago. But I hadn't remembered that the wife of Hopkins' character was portrayed by Judi Dench! She just melted into the part. I recommend it to all who love modest little movies and also to all bookworms, because the plot concerns a correspondence of several decades between an American woman and the London booksellers from whom she ordered books (and to whom she and her friends sent food parcels during the lean years of postwar British food rationing). It's based on real events as written about by Bancroft's character, Helene Hanff.
:agree: I got the book as a birthday present and love it so much I kept buying them to my friends too. :laugh: But only watched the movie once a long time ago. Thank you for bringing up. It is time to walk down the memory lane. :popcorn:

LRK

Record Breaker
The mention of House - which I haven't seen (yet) - brings us nicely and neatly, methinks to... Hugh Laurie.

Anyone who has not yet seen Jeeves and Wooster should do themselves the favour of remedying this strange omission forthwith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqvddpX1uYA

Marvellous. :)

BusyMom

Medalist
BBC One will show "From There to Here" tonight. It is a three parts miniseries about the victims of Manchester bombing in 1996. I saw Bernard Hill name on the cast. So will be watching. He is the actor who played King Théoden in The Lord of the Rings. I read it somewhere that he almost got the Gandalf role at first. Not really well-known name but he has many great roles on TV.

Alba

Record Breaker
The British actors are the greatest, at least for me.

Peter O'Toole, Richard Burton, Lawrence Olivier, John Gielgud, Michael Redgrave, Richard Harris, Ian Richardson, Oliver Reed, Daniel Day-Lewis, Ben Kingsley, Anthony Hopkins, Michael Cane, Ian MacKellen, Alec Guinness, Jeremy Irons, Michael Gambon, Ralph Fiennes, Kenneth Branagh, Gary Oldman, Glenda Jackson, Vanessa Redgrave,Hellen Mirren, Judi Dench, Eileen Atkins, Miranda Richardson, Brenda Blythen, Kristin Scott-Thomas, Tilda Swinton, Emma Thompson and I love Julie Walters too .

I mean this country is a world treasure when it comes to acting. Just to die for.
I also do love their tv series and movies. Especially tv series which I prefer most.

I also strongly reccomend for those who like and watch The House of Cards USA, to watch the UK version.
Absolutely fabulous and Ian Richardson there is simply MAGNIFICENT!

LRK

Record Breaker
I haven't even seen it yet - only bits & pieces - and even so Ian Richardson exudes such ruthless coldness that he positively scares me! (I've taped it, though, so we will get around to watching it eventually - we're just... er... a bit... hm... behindhand. Just almost a decade. No biggie... ETA: Clarification: I mean on the stuff I've taped. )

TMC

Record Breaker
The British actors are the greatest, at least for me.

Peter O'Toole, Richard Burton, Lawrence Olivier, John Gielgud, Michael Redgrave, Richard Harris, Ian Richardson, Oliver Reed, Daniel Day-Lewis, Ben Kingsley, Anthony Hopkins, Michael Cane, Ian MacKellen, Alec Guinness, Jeremy Irons, Michael Gambon, Ralph Fiennes, Kenneth Branagh, Gary Oldman, Glenda Jackson, Vanessa Redgrave,Hellen Mirren, Judi Dench, Eileen Atkins, Miranda Richardson, Brenda Blythen, Kristin Scott-Thomas, Tilda Swinton, Emma Thompson and I love Julie Walters too .

I mean this country is a world treasure when it comes to acting. Just to die for.
I also do love their tv series and movies. Especially tv series which I prefer most.

I also strongly reccomend for those who like and watch The House of Cards USA, to watch the UK version.
Absolutely fabulous and Ian Richardson there is simply MAGNIFICENT!

Oh my I LOVE HoC US and am currently persuading hubby to watch the UK original as I'm sure it will be mazing. Also, throwback to tacky 80s/90s fashions :biggrin:

I prefer UK TV for some reasons (lived there for some 8 years so culturally closer, their scripts are often stellar - intelligent and witty, the actors divine) and US TV for others (production value, sometimes a gem of a script, crazy reality shows)

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh my I LOVE HoC US and am currently persuading hubby to watch the UK original as I'm sure it will be mazing. Also, throwback to tacky 80s/90s fashions :biggrin:

I prefer UK TV for some reasons (lived there for some 8 years so culturally closer, their scripts are often stellar - intelligent and witty, the actors divine) and US TV for others (production value, sometimes a gem of a script, crazy reality shows)

I understand that the UK version of the "first season" ended quite differently - I'm pretty sure I know exactly what happens in the UK one (via clips and things on BBC Prime when they were showing it, and I taped it), but I'm pretending I don't. ("I did not see that - la la la" basically. :) ) The reason why I said "first season" is that the follow up series aren't called House of Cards, but something else - one is called To Play the King, I think, but there's one I'm forgetting - maybe Alba can help?

Alba

Record Breaker
Right? Ian Richardson & Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister) - two men I would not want to wake up in the middle of the night for no reason :eek: :slink:

:laugh: Yes, Charles Dance is great as Tywin Lannister. :biggrin:
You are right about US TV series, production value are their forte, but if I have to choose between production values and script+acting I would choose the later.
Take Homeland for example, the first season was very good but for me it went down the hill. The original series from Israel is a masterpiece. The production values are not so good, I think they had a small budget but the script and the actors are just amazing.
I was impressed. One of the best series I've seen so far.

I understand that the UK version of the "first season" ended quite differently - I'm pretty sure I know exactly what happens in the UK one (via clips and things on BBC Prime when they were showing it, and I taped it), but I'm pretending I don't. ("I did not see that - la la la" basically. :) ) The reason why I said "first season" is that the follow up series aren't called House of Cards, but something else - one is called To Play the King, I think, but there's one I'm forgetting - maybe Alba can help?

It's trilogy and the last one is The Final Cut. It's not so different from the USA actually, the essence is the same.
It's just that in England you have the King so Richardson is fighting him, while in USA there is the President but the idea is the same.
The ending of the first season in the UK version is actually like in the first episode of the second season of the USA version.
I think in USA they didn't want to close that chapter with the season 1 finale.