Patrick Chan not Ruling Out Competing at Next Winter Olympics | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan not Ruling Out Competing at Next Winter Olympics

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's typical. Hateful guys like skyfly and pangtongfan will say crap about Chan's results or predict him to be off the Sochi podium. :laugh: Skyfly still probably cries at night that Hanyu hasn't beaten Chan's world record even with two chances on home ice this year. She mocks Chan's falls even though Hanyu won Olympics with 2 falls and has fallen on most of his 4S (and some 4T) attempts last season and Gold fell in essentially every competition.

I would love to see Chan come back just to see skyfly lose her mind (speaking of "headcase"). :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Chan will get a wake up call if he comes back, he isn't getting the same PCS again like before as it should be

You're right, he's not getting the same. He's getting higher PCS (see TEB 2013 just 6 months ago), allowing him to get the current World Record score. As it should be. :biggrin:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I see this in being the same light as how Michelle Kwan wasnt "ruling out" the 2018 Olympics.

:laugh: :thumbsup:

his overscored days have long passed.
judges wont be giving him the same marks ever again. he should stay retired forever

noskates

Record Breaker
with Han Yan, Yuzu, Javier and Jason Brown
there will be no room for him

its best Chan retires and never come back in competitive figure skating
it will help clear all his fraud and tarnished results

Completely disagree with you for SO many reasons.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Can we get back on track?
Back to the thread.

I think that he should do a yuna next season and only show up at nationals, maybe a senior b and worlds. He needs to build up his confidence again after a massive four year slog where he has had a massive target on his back.

I truly believe that he can win the next olympics but he needs to compete smart and to not throw away so many of his moves or his elements.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
You're right, he's not getting the same. He's getting higher PCS (see TEB 2013 just 6 months ago), allowing him to get the current World Record score. As it should be. :biggrin:

Everyone's PCS and scores in general goes up over time all the time (yet one of many things you seem clueless to given your attempts of comparing scores even 5 or 6 years apart sometimes). At some point soon they will have to a crackdown and make it alot harder again as now skaters are hitting constant +3s and 10s in PCS and there will be nowhere to go. D&W and V&M for instance have reached the point of nearly all perfect scores. In a relative sense his PCS are far closer to his competitors than they were even a year or two ago. That is what the previous posters were referring to.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Han Yan and Jason Brown, they both still have long way until they will reach Yuzu or Javier technical level honestly, if they will.

The biggest Patrick rival is Yuzuru, but I think Javier still can make surprise if he will have right mind setup :) But I think with every next season it will be very hard for Chan to catch Hanyu. His axel is not working, he is getting older, Hanyu is working on other quads, and still not reached his peak, but it would be more interesting with him

I think Fernandez will make a big move next year and seriously challenge Hanyu for the world title next year and the coming years. I laugh at the people who think Machida is going to be above him just because he placed above at worlds (in Japan with majorly home cooked scores). I dont see Brown ever being more than maybe a bronze-ish contender in the future. Yan has more chance to get there someday since he atleast has the technical goods and can improve the artistry.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At 23, Chan has pretty much reached his technical peak. He could clean up his 3a as best he can, but IMO it will never be a secure jump for him. At 27, he will be past his peak and struggling to retain his technical skills while being more injury prone. Fernandez is the same age as Chan but has a more impressive technical arsenal, with two different quads and a secure 3a; Javier hasn't quite peaked yet. Hanyu will be 23 and at his peak; he is working on more types of quads and should be even more formidable in 2018.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
At 23, Chan has pretty much reached his technical peak. He could clean up his 3a as best he can, but IMO it will never be a secure jump for him. At 27, he will be past his peak and struggling to retain his technical skills while being more injury prone. Fernandez is the same age as Chan but has a more impressive technical arsenal, with two different quads and a secure 3a; Javier hasn't quite peaked yet. Hanyu will be 23 and at his peak; he is working on more types of quads and should be even more formidable in 2018.

Chan should get this loud and clear, he got his chance in 2014 and still didn't win
its game over and he should just retire officially for good

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

Chan should get this loud and clear, he got his chance in 2014 and still didn't win
its game over and he should just retire officially for good

So other than Hanyu the OGM, and those under 23, all should retire? Oh, of course, your favorites will peak at 2018 whatever their ages.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
So other than Hanyu the OGM, and those under 23, all should retire? Oh, of course, your favorites will peak at 2018 whatever their ages.

Well very few skaters even compete at the Olympics at 27, let alone are contenders. The only recent ones I can think of are Irina Slutskaya in 2006, and Evgeny Plushenko in 2010, but for Plushenko especialy it was a failure in a sense (especialy in his own mind) as he lost to someone he would have beaten by about 30 points only 4 years earlier. 25 for singles skaters is usually about the limit for that. Of course it is anyones choice if they want to try. Fumie is still trying for god knows what at age 34 after all. Chan could try to compete at the Games at 27 if he wants, but I dont think it is very likely all things considered.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

Javier has far superior technical arsenal and he hasn't even peaked yet, Chan has unstable 3A and quads
Chan is no Plushenko that he can still guarantee he can still peak at 27 or over

Chan's time was in 2014 but he lost to the talented wonderkid Yuzuru Hanyu
Yuzuru, Javier, Han Yan, Jason and many others will be ahead of him by then
he passed his peak and his over scoring peak. done. game over

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Chan improving his technical arsenal at 27 would be pretty implausible. I think he can improve his consistency though. The problem at Sochi was that he showed he couldn't take advantage of Yuzuru "insane BV" Hanyu's mistakes even when Hanyu made them. Chan can still win if he learns to become the only consistent man in the field. ...That's probably a tall order though--maybe even as difficult as learning a new quad.

That being said, I don't hold too much stock in Hanyu learning new quads until he lands them in competition. There are many more people who landed quad loop/flip/lutz in practice than ones who actually did--or even tried--in competition (actually, nobody landed a ratified loop or flip). Hanyu's advantage is that IJS is so forgiving to falls he can try 'em and keep failing... and still win because of his BV. :unsure:

Next OGM... well, both Chan and Hanyu will have their own difficulties. No Canadian man has ever won gold, and no man has won a second (individual) Olympic gold since Dick Button. So it'll be Canadian curse vs. reigning Olympic champ curse. Chan will be 27 and no one sans Plushenko has been a contender at that age; he did not go out dominating the field like Plushenko did either, but he hasn't suffered from the same degree of injuries. But Hanyu is a Japanese man competing on Korean soil, so maybe they'll screw him over. :laugh:

More likely, someone new will emerge. Or Javier and Machida, being late-bloomers, could end up pulling ahead. All this isn't to say Chan shouldn't continue (I don't care either way); he'll still be near the top even if he isn't at the very top all the time anymore.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Javier has far superior technical arsenal and he hasn't even peaked yet, Chan has unstable 3A and quads
Chan is no Plushenko that he can still guarantee he can still peak at 27 or over

Plushenko wasnt even close to peak at 27. As I said he lost to someone (Lysacek) he would have crushed by 30 points in his 2006 form. He was lucky Vancouver was a splatfest or he could have finished 5th or 6th, vs Turin when he unbeatable by a huge margin even if eveyone skated their best.