In a class of his own: Orser owned 2013-14 season | Page 10 | Golden Skate

In a class of his own: Orser owned 2013-14 season

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, he said so? Do you remember the interview? Thank you in advance. :)

It was in the OP's link to the award. Here:

Two-year plan
Two years. That's how long Orser needs with a skater for his methods to really take hold. Kim was great when she got to him, in 2007, but it wasn't until the 2008-09 season, when she won four of her five competitions, including her first world championship, when she really became the Queen.
Fernández went from finishing 10th in the world in 2011, the year before he started taking from Orser, to standing on the world podium, as a bronze medalist, in 2013. Hanyu, who came to Orser as the most refined of the three aforementioned men, went from a sometimes-on, sometimes-off skater to the 2014 Olympic champion. And after struggling with inconsistency throughout his first two seasons under Orser, Nguyen capped off his most recent campaign with a stunning win at the world junior championships.
Whether this is by design or mere coincidence, no one -- except for maybe Mr. Triple Axel himself -- can be sure. But Nguyen sees logic in this two-year plan.
"The first season is a time where you figure each other out, and how effectively you work with each other. Once the first season is over, you have your offseason where you reflect on what's the best way to approach each other," Nguyen said. "The second season shows [the results].
"The first season, I didn't do so well. I had gone to a different coach, with a different style," he continued. "When the second season came, it all clicked."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/05/13/74798034

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm not sure about that. At least Dai stayed upright (I can't believe this is the standard, but such was the night...). But I guess there are two separate issues: Dai's PCS certainly weren't tied very closely to his TES, which is a problem. But I felt like his TES should've been closer to the top guys'. People with falls got substantially more TES than Dai with his downgrades. I get it--Dai's jumps weren't there in Sochi. But I don't think it's right that his double-downgraded quad toe got 2 points, while Hanyu's fall on the quad salchow got 6.5 (factoring in the -1 for the fall).

Thing about TES is that it's relatively cut and dry. I mean there's GOE but Dai's jumps don't get the GOE of the other guys. Add to that the downgrades and there ya go. I think his PCS should have saved him a bit but it's hard to justify a skater having 11th and 12th best TES scores coming 6th. Aaron should have certainly been placed higher than him IMO. I'd rather see a skater artistically inferior at least put a strong technical showing than a safe not so technical FS from an artistic skater. Even Hanyu with a fall is more enjoyable because he goes for the high grade elements and his quality of elements is excellent otherwise.

annca

On the Ice
come on guys.. gotta cut hanyu some slack. if you guys dont think he deserves 90's pcs then i dont think he deserves to be below someone who plays it safe for his programs, someone who flaps his arms and calls it transitions and certainly not to someone who's stiff on the ice (im a fan of them too by the way :)). if you think his pcs is inflated then so does EVERYONE okay.. so as the others here say, placement is much more important. so if you think the others deserved their 90's then so does hanyu. you gotta have some mad skills to be able to perform wilson's heavy loaded elemental romeo or juliet :p program(2 quads, 8 triples, 1double and 1half + some crazy spins here and there) and he actually somewhat delivers at the most opportune time.

Noctics

Spectator
regarding to the score and judging that some of you guys are complaining here:
to put it in the most simple way, let's consider jumps have 2 steps: 1-rotation and 2-landing. you do 1 but fail 2, you still do 1/2 of the work, you still get point. but if you fail at the first step called 1 then you can't do 2 , what's you do after failed 1 is called anything else but 2, that means you do 0% of your work , of course there's no point for you. just like your boss give you the opportunity and ask you what's your good at, you answer 1 and 2. then he cheerfully give you work related to 1+2, you firmly say you will do your best. the next day you appear and give him your finished work, he open and see pages of document related to 3+4, there's nothing called 1+2 there. he realize that you fail to do your work that you choose for yourself and give him what he don't need. what you expect from him next? rewarding you? of course not. firing you? now that's possible. figure skating is the same. if you choose to do a quad, do that quad properly , don't make it a double or a triple . it may look nicer to eyes but that's cheating. so technically speaking, falling>under rotation or doubling or anything like that.

Noctics

Spectator
regarding to the inflation, fair scoring is the most ideal. but if not, people in the toptier or top 10 or top 5 or top 3 all got inflation is okay. in the end the ranking won't change. but what's fair scoring? everyone has their bias thoughts and their favorites, they values things different to others and won't fell satisfied with others' decisions. the " fair" is none-existed. there's always some people that has problems with the result. there are rules but people still choose to ignore them and decide in the " i think this should be that and that should be this" way. with the rising technical difficulty, rising PCS score is a must and i see nothing wrong with it. different era different standard. recently with PChan is out of picture , people like to pick on Yuzuru regarding his " inflation PCS", some are not interest in others so they just mentioning Yuru, but some , with or without purpose, just talk about him as if he is the only " inflation case" out there. if there is "inflation" like some believe, then all the top guys around his rank are " inflated" in score, most noted guys are PChan, Javier and recently Machida. in the past, people only picked on PChan because there's only him with that kind of score out there. but now people only pick on Yuru while there are some guys up there with him. that's not cool.

back to the Orser topic, he's the coach of 3 champions this season, so i have no doubt with him being selected. congrat to him. that aside, i will give him credit for Yuzu success, but how much? not so much. like some already said, i know Yuru said that he won't get the OG if he didn't move to Canada to train. but at the same speech, he didn't say he wouldn't get gold without Orser. he said something like in the past he couldn't train much, moving to Canada he has a lot more ice time and off time training. therefore , moving to Canada help him winning gold. he said the coaching is the same ( or something similar to that line). so according to him, the thing he value the most in training in Canada is the facilities and the professional working style, not the coaching. so the ones i give more credit for his success are the club itself and the team working there, or you can say Orser's team. Yuru was 17 yo when he moved to Canada, at that age and with his talent, he was bound to improve and improve. there was nowhere he could go but up with even decent coaching. bluntly, i think that he will succeed with any international-level coach with good facilities.well, that's for the past 2 years of Yuru with Orser, for the upcoming 4
years, i hope i can give bigger credits to Orser for Yuru's success .

Klarnet

On the Ice
^ No way falling is that much better than UR, the gap should be less by bigger deduction for falling

Noctics

Spectator
we are agree to disagree. that's it. visually, UR look nicer. technically, falling is more credit-given.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
we are agree to disagree. that's it. visually, UR look nicer. technically, falling is more credit-given.
I actually don't see option that UR on quad should receive more points than fall on rotated quad. Quad is quad. Rotation itself is very hard to achieve.

Klarnet

On the Ice

I don't disagree, fully rotated jumps do feel more fair, I'm talking about the gap - how fallen jump can be considered 70%-successfully done compare with 20% left from UR

Noctics

Spectator
I don't disagree, fully rotated jumps do feel more fair, I'm talking about the gap - how fallen jump can be considered 70%-successfully done compare with 20% left from UR

sorry, i didn't read your post carefully. with the ever changing rule, may be that will change in future. in terms of current rule, what i can say is the sport now highly value the technical preciseness. athletes have to learn how to fully rotate a jump before learning landing them. if one can't rotate a jump, then everything is invalid, landing or not. in my eyes, UR mean zero, no matter that's a triple go double or a quad go triple. but rule still give 20% for UR, so, to me, 70% of falling is acceptable ( with some quad, that 60% with -1 deduction). this is a sport in the first place, what 's suppose to to should be do, like i didn't expect a 100m racer to run like a marathon athlete, a quad should be a quad even with fall, nothing else.

Welcome, Nocyics. Thanks for joining us! :yes:

To me, there is another way of looking at it. We are talking about figure skating. This refers to the skillful use of blades on ice. Jumping into the air and spinning around is not a skating skill. You can do that on dry land. The reason the quad is regarded as a figure skating element at all is because the skater is expected to land on a flowing outside edge. Just leaping into the air and then crashing to the ice -- how is that even skating? ;)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Still don't understand any of this "jumps and rotations" argument has anything to do with Orser's achievements. :unsure:

I mean seriously, Hanyu mostly fell on his 4S, yes, but other than that he archived big things this season. His basic skills are improving, his speed is getting more steady, his mentality is getting better. Yes the choreography is not ideal but his stamina is improving so he can finish 2 different quads and 8 triples finally. That was a first time for him and for many others. So all of this doesn't mean Orser team is playing a good job at helping Yuzuru? :confused:

Let's not forget Javi and Nam, who are both improving quite well under Orser.

The only down point is, their choices of costumes. :unsure:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Still don't understand any of this "jumps and rotations" argument has anything to do with Orser's achievements. :unsure:

I mean seriously, Hanyu mostly fell on his 4S, yes, but other than that he archived big things this season. His basic skills are improving, his speed is getting more steady, his mentality is getting better. Yes the choreography is not ideal but his stamina is improving so he can finish 2 different quads and 8 triples finally. That was a first time for him and for many others. So all of this doesn't mean Orser team is playing a good job at helping Yuzuru? :confused:

Let's not forget Javi and Nam, who are both improving quite well under Orser.

The only down point is, their choices of costumes. :unsure:

Aw I liked Javi's LP costume this season, his SP costume and Nam's costumes depended on my mood =p

Yuzuru's LP costume... I just refer to it as the frilly boobskirt