Mao Asada decides not to compete in 2014-2015 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada decides not to compete in 2014-2015

RABID

Final Flight
Hello to all!

Idk if everyone is aware but Mao Asada has decided to not compete in the next season.

Source:http: //headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140519-00000005-nksports-spo

All I hope for her is to get a good well-deserved rest and a lovely time with her loved ones!

So, the era is over then as I am sure life will get in the way of any future return. Anyone left? She was golden and the ISU should thank the skating gods they had her and others like her these last few cycles. :bow:

Crystallize

On the Ice
I'm not surprised, but I'm wondering whether or not the Japanese federation is putting the pressure on her to be back for 2018. I would hope not. Like you said, she deserves a good rest. She's earned it. I mean I don't think I ever recall her having taken a break, not once.

makaihime

Final Flight
I mean I don't think I ever recall her having taken a break, not once.

Yeah...she's always working herself to the bone and she didn't even take a break when her mother passed...:cry: This is a long and well deserved break. She can finally take a breather from all the pressure as well and just enjoy her life. Hope the JFS backs off as well and just let her decide her own future.

But how great would it be if she goes for 2018 then causes an upset and nabs the OGM from the Russian favs? :laugh:

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
I saw this coming

But I think she can still come back a season later like Yuna. Taking off more than 1 season would make it very hard to get back into prime shape though, especially as she's getting older

Same goes for Chan.

cooper

Medalist
well deserved rest..

any chance for mao and yuna to skate in 1 ice show together for world peace?? that would have been cool..

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
well deserved rest..

any chance for mao and yuna to skate in 1 ice show together for world peace?? that would have been cool..

I agree that Mao has more than earned her rest at least for this season.

And for Mao and Yuna to skate in an ice show together will just be epic! :love: Hope we'll see it in our lifetime.

minze

Medalist
I agree that Mao has more than earned her rest at least for this season.

And for Mao and Yuna to skate in an ice show together will just be epic! :love: Hope we'll see it in our lifetime.

I agree epic. I would save my pennies to see that show

Tompson

Rinkside
Chan,Yuna and Mao..who's next?
But all I can say is they have a right to being happy in real life.

Alba

Record Breaker
All I hope for her is to get a good well-deserved rest and a lovely time with her loved ones!

:thumbsup: She deserves a good rest. If she want to return later on she can do it without a problem at all.
She is great.:clap:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Mathman - you're welcome!

cooper- egads. Yes please! If they were able to combine the Japanese audience and the Korean technology stuff (lights, music, backdrop, the video fluffs and etc.), I would totally go and watch!

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Can't say I'm surprised, I'm glad 'cause as you guys said she deserves a good rest, she has given all for so many years.

For my selfish self, I am a bit bummed. But for Mao's sake, I'm glad, because it means she can lift her head up and see what else is going on in life. As Mathman says, she is one of the all-time greats, profoundly artistic as well as technically commanding. How lucky we are to have been able to watch her all these years. Perhaps we'll get to see some more from her in the future.

CarneAsada

Medalist
I agree with Olympia; my selfish side is definitely bummed. My wish was to see her be the first lady to land the 3A at 3 Olympics in a row. But she's done full seasons, Grand Prix events and all, for the last 8 seasons, and two before that when she was a junior. She needs a rest and I'm glad she's getting it.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Its great that she is taking a rest from all the attention and pressure placed upon her. She needs time to rebuild again if she chooses to gun for another Olympics.

minze

Medalist
Some of her fans are optimistic because they see the possibility of Mao coming back. However, I don't see it. I don't think Mao will come back. She said her self that the only way to continue skating is to have a clear goal. Her goal was Sochi, that came and went. I don't see Mao setting another long term goal as 2018 Olympics. Despite the Olympics results, I think Mao was content after her HISTORIC LP and 3rd world title.

begin

Medalist
An OGM doesn't have to be her only goal. Maybe she appreciates the goal-oriented nature of competing in general.

Anyway, her skating will be dearly missed. I would love to see Mao make a comeback though, and it would be particularly interesting because we've never seen her compete after taking some time off (imo she should have done so a few years back).

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Mao definitely deserves a rest. I do hope she'd be back, because perhaps we'll be able to witness something as magical as her Sochi LP or Saitama SP--imagine if she put the two together! However, the decision is in her hands, and I hope she does not push her body to its limit. If she chooses to come back, I'll be rooting for her. If she chooses to retire, she's still given skating fans many years of excellent performances and can feel content as a foremost figure of the sport.