Mao Asada decides not to compete in 2014-2015 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada decides not to compete in 2014-2015

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I don't want Michelle to win in SLC because she would've (likely) retired afterwards, not getting that fifth World title. And we wouldn't have gotten Concierto de Aranjuez or Tosca. Maybe I'm the only one (no wait, I think Mathman also likes Tosca ;) ), but I adored these later performances. Also, I wanted to see Michelle become three-time Olympic medallist. I wanted her to make it to Torino and medal, regardless of colour. But as the saying goes, you can't always get what you want...

For me, "winning by default" happens when everyone makes major errors, including the winner--the winner just happened to make fewer mistakes. Think Alexei Yagudin at 1998 Worlds (he didn't even win the long program--Eldridge knocked himself out by bombing the short). If everyone else goes down and you skate well, I don't think that's an undeserving or underwhelming win. I mean, was Shen/Zhao's win not incredible, even if they weren't at their peak in 2010? If Michelle skated in Torino with the same fire and attack as she did at 2004 Nationals, she would've been a very worthy champion, imo (and saved a night of messy skating to boot).

If only she'd fixed her hip earlier... I know the hip isn't what ultimately knocked her out, but I suspect it made her more injury-prone, which culminated in Torino. :cry:

erasona

Rinkside
I'm usually only lurking, but I kind of had to say something about her retirement.

I am definitely so so so sad to hear this news as it really seems to mark the end of another era. I completely understand and respect her need to rest and rethink her plans for the future. However, she will be very much missed. She and Kim Yuna have really been my inspiration to start skating, while Michelle Kwan made me fall in love with the sport. I will really miss the artistry and technique of both ladies, and darn, I wish I could see more programs from the both of them. When they skate, they really do seem capture the moment. I really appreciate how Mao Asada is flexible, but is still a really solid jumper. I may be really wrong with this, but the more flexible skaters seem to be better spinners as opposed to jumpers. I'll miss her triple axel too. I never really cared if she fell or not; I just respect the fact that she was attempting it. I know she can land it anyway, and that mattered more that just being able to land it in competition.

On a side note, her Sochi short program was sort of dubbed a fatal disaster, but just watching it ignoring the apocalyptic lamenting of the commentators, I found it very beautiful (even more so than her long program, although I loved that one too). I am in no way knowledgeable about the details of figure skating, so I watch programs just to appreciate what the skaters present. I thought she was still able to really keep the emotion flowing in her skating, and by the end of the program, I did feel something quite special, especially because the last move was (I think) intended for her mum? I think she is a really beautiful skater, but I don't really take into too much regard the rankings, rotations, how many jumps etc etc though I know they are important. Needless to say, I will really miss her (plus Kim Yuna, and I've already been missing Michelle Kwan, and dying to see her perform again).

Tompson

Rinkside
I'm usually only lurking, but I kind of had to say something about her retirement.

I am definitely so so so sad to hear this news as it really seems to mark the end of another era. I completely understand and respect her need to rest and rethink her plans for the future. However, she will be very much missed. She and Kim Yuna have really been my inspiration to start skating, while Michelle Kwan made me fall in love with the sport. I will really miss the artistry and technique of both ladies, and darn, I wish I could see more programs from the both of them. When they skate, they really do seem capture the moment. I really appreciate how Mao Asada is flexible, but is still a really solid jumper. I may be really wrong with this, but the more flexible skaters seem to be better spinners as opposed to jumpers. I'll miss her triple axel too. I never really cared if she fell or not; I just respect the fact that she was attempting it. I know she can land it anyway, and that mattered more that just being able to land it in competition.

On a side note, her Sochi short program was sort of dubbed a fatal disaster, but just watching it ignoring the apocalyptic lamenting of the commentators, I found it very beautiful (even more so than her long program, although I loved that one too). I am in no way knowledgeable about the details of figure skating, so I watch programs just to appreciate what the skaters present. I thought she was still able to really keep the emotion flowing in her skating, and by the end of the program, I did feel something quite special, especially because the last move was (I think) intended for her mum? I think she is a really beautiful skater, but I don't really take into too much regard the rankings, rotations, how many jumps etc etc though I know they are important. Needless to say, I will really miss her (plus Kim Yuna, and I've already been missing Michelle Kwan, and dying to see her perform again).

Very good post..

Welcome, Erasona! And thanks for your perceptive post. I feel much the same about all three of these skaters, Michelle, YuNa, and Mao.

gotoschool

Medalist
The Prima ballerina stretches her wings high into the sky
in agile arabesques, lithe leg extensions, fan and Y spirals
that carve wide open arcs spanning the ice
like the arched necks of two swans
caressing each others beaks
to form a warm and loving valentine,
thawing the frozen pond on which she glides
in the gentle wake of Springtime.

She cradles her lovely limb lifted
perpendicular behind her back,
as she extends her chest sideways.
Her hand, head and arms open wide
in a warm and welcoming gesture
that embraces her audience with a tender smile.

Some birds of prey may dart higher
and dive faster to capture their kill
since Speedy demons set up a system
to clip the wings of the graceful, agile angel.

But, the soaring swan in her pure white feather dress
remains unruffled, sweeping us away to a beautiful oasis,
where the pure and powerful flow of her expressive soul
quenches our thirst like the surge of sweet spring water
from deep beneath the earth's surface.

But, now that she has enriched our spirits,
I hope she fulfills her dream of lighting for a while
on a tropical island and reclining
beneath a coconut grove.

We will look for her to leave her perch of learning at university next season.
But, if she has grown weary of Speedy’s futile chase to erase her greatness,
we will always adore her for being the Consummate Spiritual Warrior
that brought heart, purity, fight and light exquisite positions and lines
to a sport where it is rapidly vanishing.

And in her absence the triple axel, stunning step sequences
and that wonderful wave-like flow in every motion
that moves the emotions like the moon does the ocean
are an ebb tide receding towards extinction.
Flying away from this earthly place like the whooping crane
exclusively seen in her exhibitions.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
i doubt yuna is coming back..

next season will be the first time we're not going to see mao, yuna, akiko, miki, and possibly carolina.. sounds depressing..

Hardly at least these skaters had a good long run compared to Chan at least.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
:confused: Chan ends his run (if he doesn't come back) with three World titles and Olympic silver, just like Mao. And a team silver. The last World title is a bit boogus, but he still had a better run than I expected after seeing him implode back in Vancouver. And he's certainly more successful than Akiko, Miki, and Caro.

I will miss all these ladies though... Yuna and Akiko seem to have finished all they wished to do, so I wish them the best in retirement. I wonder if Miki would've gone on longer if it weren't for the circumstances... I have a feeling Mao will be back though. ;) Not sure about Caro.

gotoschool

Medalist
Here is a translation of an interview with Mao I found on fs universe with comments by the poster. I had never heard anything about Mao wanting to be a coach. Have any of you heard this before? Is it really true? I think she would be an excellent coach because she is such a warm and caring person but she is also great at following a strict regime of discipline, not to mention her knowledge and experience in the sport. It seems like a good combination. Plus it would be a great way to see more of her in the future for those who can't make it to her exhibitions.

To be a coach is my dream. All of my experiences will help me in coaching skaters.

This interview was done a day after the press conference. She talked a bit about her school life. I love this video since she smiles a lot in it. She looks more relaxed after the announcement of taking a break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp7XbOKPuYc

Translation by rosewood

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...014-15-season&p=4264613&viewfull=1#post426461

An excerpt

made you decide to take a rest and not retire.
MA: After finishing this season I felt I did it. However, I don't feel I'll retire right now. That's my honest feelings at this point. Both of my mind and body are very tired. I want to take a rest anyway.

-What is the percentages of your comeback?
MA: Half-half.

-What are the things you have to do during your rest?
MA: I started studying back in school. I'll mainly study in my daily life. I'll skate too.

-Your decision was made earlier than expected. Why?
MA: After finishing the season, sometimes I felt I can continue, and sometimes I felt I can't. The Ice is coming soon so I kept training as usual. I've been doing the very best I could do everyday all through the years, without taking a break. When I asked myself that I can continue the same life for one more quad, the answer was no. I felt I need a rest. I also felt I need change of air. That's why I decided to take one season rest.

0:33

Last edited by a moderator:

Franklin99

Medalist
Thank you for the link and translations gotoschool. It's good to know Mao's taking it easy and enjoying life outside FS. I agree she will be a great coach if/when she takes the job.

gotoschool

Medalist
Gotoschool, that's a lovely poem!

Thank you Olympia and Franklin 99 for your responses. Glad you enjoyed the poem Olympia. In my opinion, measuring "legacy" based on a numerical weight in gold instead of its priceless spiritual value often leads to the unleashing of a Pandora's box of confrontation and to a cycle of cynical verbal vendettas, instead of an appreciation of athletic and artistic beauty. I know I am too much of an idealist, but I often wish that scores did not exist because what the most expressive skaters make me feel inside often doesn't match the mathematical assessment. This poem was an attempt to show how much I will miss the great spiritual gift Mao has given to me through her incredible performances. These video recordings from the past are a perpetual present that keeps giving long after the medal ceremony has been concluded.