Ashley Wagner and the Olympics | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner and the Olympics

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Miki skated in a very tough era to be sure, but I dont think the era we are entering is neccessarily any easier. The Russians will send 3 very strong women to worlds practically every year, and then there is Gracie Gold who Wagner has to overcome even in her own country, and who has alot of potential to get alot better still. There are many other very promising non Russian up and comers from Miyahara, Osmond, Daleman, Edmunds, onwards. Everyone who beat Wagner at worlds minus 2 are for sure continuing, plus others who were not there; and almost all the people who beat her or finished behind her are younger and going to get alot better, which is not easily said for her.

As great as Mao is she was never the most consistent performer. Despite being quite obviously inferior Miki was always going to get some cracks at her. Beating Yu Na at worlds twice is more surprising, but in her career Worlds seems to be Yu Na's biggest nemisis event compared to Olympics, grand prix final, and everything else. Yuna wasn't 100% healthy back in 2007-08 and in 2011 she hadn't even competed all season so she was rusty and not in competition shape.

StylishDreaming

Rinkside
Wagner's problem is really in the SP. She MUST find a way to get to 70+ because otherwise she won't be able to make up ground in the FS no matter how good she does.

You're right, the SP is and has always been her weakness. My guess is she's going to continue working on her 3-3 for next season, and that's going to help make her SP scores more consistent, if not achieve a new personal best.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ashley's triple loop seems to be a very strong jump for her, with fewer of the two-foot issues she has with the flip. I don't know why she doesn't do triple loop-triple toe; yes, the base value is slightly less than flip-toe, but the potential for +GOE is much higher.

juppiter

Rinkside
It's a question that I was wondering :think:

I have the impression that Ashley Wagner career have drop a lot since the winning of Gracie Gold and the controversy between her and Mirai Nagasu.
The judges seems to have favor her in the PCS more in the past competition before nationals and after nationals, it's like that the judge decide to not favor her anymore, even if her performance where remarquable after nationals.

Is it me or Ashley would have benefit more to refuse the Olympic team for to save a great reputation from the judges ? I think that the judges have decide to put her out since this even if she make good performance :confused:

Ashley was done anyway. I stand by the decision to send her to Sochi. If anything, Mirai should have bumped Polina. Ashley earned her spot in the years leading up and we all knew she had no chance of medaling. Her 3F/3T was just never really there. But she is the reason the US had the 3rd spot to begin with, so she deserved that 3rd spot.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Ashley's triple loop seems to be a very strong jump for her, with fewer of the two-foot issues she has with the flip. I don't know why she doesn't do triple loop-triple toe; yes, the base value is slightly less than flip-toe, but the potential for +GOE is much higher.

It's actually quite difficult to do a 3L-3T because a loops momentum goes on a curve more than straight down the ice, so it's hard to get enough flow to do it. I think the last 3L-3T I saw was Plushenko at Euros 2013... And I can't recall many men opting for that combo, let alone ladies.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ashley Wagner was the "Most Improved" among Team USA's Sochi Olympians, according to this article published today. (And the article includes a great photo of her from Sochi. :))

Meet Team USA's Class Of 2014
BY Lisa Constantini
June 18, 2014, 1:50 P.M. (ET)
http://www.teamusa.org/News/2014/June/18/Meet-Team-USAs-Class-Of-2014

(Also mentioned in the article in completely different contexts are Davis, White, and Belbin. Davis retweeted the USOC's link to the article re Class of 2014 superlatives.)

80sskatergirl

Rinkside
I think Ashley earned her spot over the last few years. She would have been silly not to have taken the spot, as I strongly doubt she's going to have another chance. Age, and I'm sorry, but her weight is going to potentially be an issue in the future. She won't be able to keep up with the young girls and frankly, her jumping has never been reliable. We've all watched her two-footing for more years than I care to count.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I had conflicting feelings over the Wagner decision...I really did. Hindsight is always 20/20 but ultimately it's probably the call I would have made as well, to send Wagner to Sochi over Nagasu. Although I would have made more effort to make sure Nagasu got at least Worlds...
_____

It may be a mistake to count Wagner out after what happened in 2012 but my expectations for her remain low. Still, she seems excited with her new coach and claims she has made extensive progress with him in a short amount of time. The question is whether Arutunian can eliminate her 2-footing and get her 3-3 consistent - IN COMPETITION. And as she continues to gain more years, how much longer can she last? Next season may be her last chance to make something happen before the door shuts permanently...

YLFan

Match Penalty
That article is a good example why I cheer so much against Americans despite being American.

That article is a good example why I cheer so much against Americans despite being American.

? You cheer against Americans because of some silliness about "who takes the most selfies" and "who is the cutest couple" (answer: a guy and his dog)?

Um…OK. ;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Well I know a certain Canadian pair skater who would love to take your American citizenship if you feel so ashamed of the silliness of this county. ;)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Some Americans are vapid and disrespectful. Some Canadians, Russians, Italians, Koreans, Chinese, Brazilians... too. ;) While I wouldn't considered Ashley "most improved" athlete (though I like her very much!), I don't find the article a reason to hate USA.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Americans are vapid and disrespectful imo.

Given the amount of people who are trying to get citizenship in this country -- and not just to skate in the Olympics -- I don't think everyone agrees with you.

My parents and brother are naturalized Americans (came from Vietnam after the Fall of Saigon) and they are proud of it, even if they don't agree with everything people do here. And they are not disrespectful. So please stop.

Last edited:

erasona

Rinkside
I really wanted Mirai to head to Sochi before I knew anything about American figure skating, but after watching a couple of past performances of Ashley, I did concede that it was reasonable to send her. Decisions are based on a body of work anyway, even before the huge argument at Nationals.

I am NOT a fan of Ashley, because I think she talks too much, and just says too much. The comment about her scores in Sochi was really un-classy...

Still, I do think that some of the comments about her by GS posters are a little tough. That girl is DETERMINED, and I appreciate that. It isn't easy skating with a ton of your own countrymen thinking you really shouldn't be there. Thick-skinned, that girl is. But her passion for the sport and for improving is really commendable, and I believe that that is really key to breaking through limitations placed on you by others, or seemingly by your body/self. I hope she improves. Her jumps... look difficult for her to me, if that makes any sense. They seem really... forced. I'm not sure how to put it, so I hope she can develop that grace that great jumpers have.

Question: I heard some people here mention that she needs to improve her spins... why? I though her spins in Sochi, especially her layback were beautiful? May I know what is wrong with them?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I really wanted Mirai to head to Sochi before I knew anything about American figure skating, but after watching a couple of past performances of Ashley, I did concede that it was reasonable to send her. Decisions are based on a body of work anyway, even before the huge argument at Nationals.

I am NOT a fan of Ashley, because I think she talks too much, and just says too much. The comment about her scores in Sochi was really un-classy...

Still, I do think that some of the comments about her by GS posters are a little tough. That girl is DETERMINED, and I appreciate that. It isn't easy skating with a ton of your own countrymen thinking you really shouldn't be there. Thick-skinned, that girl is. But her passion for the sport and for improving is really commendable, and I believe that that is really key to breaking through limitations placed on you by others, or seemingly by your body/self. I hope she improves. Her jumps... look difficult for her to me, if that makes any sense. They seem really... forced. I'm not sure how to put it, so I hope she can develop that grace that great jumpers have.

Question: I heard some people here mention that she needs to improve her spins... why? I though her spins in Sochi, especially her layback were beautiful? May I know what is wrong with them?

What a thoughtful post. It's refreshing to see that people can find something to admire in even skaters they're not big fans of. :thumbsup:

Regarding the spins: They look great, but it's more that she needs to hold the positions more so she can get level 4 and get the highest base value for them. As it stands she's had one too many level 3 spins.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mrs. P is neither of these qualities and she is an American. Now me on the other hand...that might be a different story. :slink:

Aw thanks, Sam.

But you're not vapid at all! You and your posts are a great example to Yuliatrons everywhere!